The Student Room Group

2 unconditional offers to 2 great universities

I've received unconditionals from Nottingham Trent and De Montfort to study Psychology but I don't know which one to choose. My gut is telling me NTU just because of the city and accommodation as well as a brilliant course but DMU also has a good reputation and loads of good qualities. I don't want to accept an offer until I'm 100% sure. What are your opinions on each university and how can I decide?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also both offers are only unconditional if I put them as my firm choice.
Reply 2
I would say don't stress yourself out about it just yet. Wait for all unis to answer. You have plenty of time to decide.
When you have other unis as options as well, that factors into your decisions so just give it a bit of time
Original post by IronManFan
I've received unconditionals from Nottingham Trent and De Montfort to study Psychology but I don't know which one to choose. My gut is telling me NTU just because of the city and accommodation as well as a brilliant course but DMU also has a good reputation and loads of good qualities. I don't want to accept an offer until I'm 100% sure. What are your opinions on each university and how can I decide?

Have you considered all your other offers? It may be that they are not the best universities you could be going to. People should be wary about unconditionals if firmed as it tends to be more of a money making scheme, and you might not be getting the best education you possibly could!
On the other hand, have you tried making a pros and cons list of the two universities? It may come fairly obvious to you which one is better (ie which you are struggling to find cons for)
Reply 4
Original post by Seffire
I would say don't stress yourself out about it just yet. Wait for all unis to answer. You have plenty of time to decide.
When you have other unis as options as well, that factors into your decisions so just give it a bit of time

All the universities I applied to have given me offers but DMU and NTU are the only ones to give me unconditionals and I want to go to both
Reply 5
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Have you considered all your other offers? It may be that they are not the best universities you could be going to. People should be wary about unconditionals if firmed as it tends to be more of a money making scheme, and you might not be getting the best education you possibly could!
On the other hand, have you tried making a pros and cons list of the two universities? It may come fairly obvious to you which one is better (ie which you are struggling to find cons for)

Yeah I've got other offers but I don't want to go to those universities, I've made pros and cons of all universities that gave me offers and both DMU and NTU have come on top. To me, NTU seems like it has basically no cons but I'm concerned that that could be because I only want to look at the positives of NTU
Yeah I've got other offers but I don't want to go to those universities, I've made pros and cons of all universities that gave me offers and both DMU and NTU have come on top. To me, NTU seems like it has basically no cons but I'm concerned that that could be because I only want to look at the positives of NTU

Well if you've found that you are biased towards NTU then I think you've already found which university you want to go to!
Reply 7
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Well if you've found that you are biased towards NTU then I think you've already found which university you want to go to!

Fair enough hahah but I don't wanna jump to a decision just in case, you know? I'm so sure about going to NTU but at the same time I feel like I should wait a bit longer before accepting in case I do change my mind
Reply 8
All the universities I applied to have given me offers but DMU and NTU are the only ones to give me unconditionals and I want to go to both

Oh, alright then. Well I would say, as you said so yourself in another comment, to wait a bit longer before deciding on anything.
So I think it comes down to not only pros and cons, but also to prioritise the things you look for in a university. For example, what are a few points you look for in a uni? Academic reputation? Employer reputation? Student life? How nice the campus looks? Student to staff ratio?
Of course these are all important. I personally care about them all, but find out which is more important to you. And if you feel like NTU does in fact beat DMU in the factors most important to you, you have your answer
'Great'
Reply 10
Original post by Seffire
Oh, alright then. Well I would say, as you said so yourself in another comment, to wait a bit longer before deciding on anything.
So I think it comes down to not only pros and cons, but also to prioritise the things you look for in a university. For example, what are a few points you look for in a uni? Academic reputation? Employer reputation? Student life? How nice the campus looks? Student to staff ratio?
Of course these are all important. I personally care about them all, but find out which is more important to you. And if you feel like NTU does in fact beat DMU in the factors most important to you, you have your answer

Yeah I've done that too and NTU came up on top hahah I think it's pretty obvious that I want to go to NTU then, thank you!
Reply 11
Original post by GovernmentEarner
'Great'

What do you mean?
how did you find out your offers were unconditional? through track or by email?
Reply 13
Original post by BethyRose98
how did you find out your offers were unconditional? through track or by email?

Track, why?
Track, why?

I was just curious :smile:
Congrats man!
Would you mind sharing your AS grades, Predicted and subjects?

Great unis 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬. Are u mad? “great unis”
Reply 17
Original post by adamantacademic
Congrats man!
Would you mind sharing your AS grades, Predicted and subjects?

Cheers! I got a Merit in Applied Business (first year) and a C in Core Maths. I'm predicted Distinction in Applied Business (second year), C in psychology and B in sociology
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by SherlockD
Great unis 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬. Are u mad? “great unis”

They are great unis... I've visited both and most o the reviews for NTU are great. People I've spoken to outside of open days say they love it there so yeah I think NTU at least is a great uni
What do you mean?

Ignore these people.

Go where your heart wants.

Quick Reply