The Student Room Group

Psychologist career path

I'm currently studying in grade 11, about to give my IGCSE examinations in a few months. I've chosen pure science (chem,physics,bio). I wish to become a clinical psychologist in the future, but I wanna know the pros and cons. I also want to know if it's better to do my a levels before getting into a university? And if yes, what subjects should I take in my a levels? Followed by what courses I need to take in a university..?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The pros are that it's a degree that can open up a variety of careers. The cons are that at the same time, if you choose not to carry on and study something like educational or clinical psychology, it can be hard to find a job with just a basic psychology degree.

It's definitely best to do your A levels first. Universities won't just let you in to study a psychology degree without A levels first.

Psychology A level isn't a must for most universities but obviously it'll be very useful. Plus it's interesting and fun! Some universities like you to do another science A level too. Maybe you should search up some psychology degree courses and see what their entry requirements are. All universities vary.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Vanilla Twilight
The pros are that it's a degree that can open up a variety of careers. The cons are that at the same time, if you choose not to carry on and study educational or clinical psychology, it can be hard to find a job with just a basic psychology degree.

It's definitely best to do your A levels first. Universities won't just let you in to study a psychology degree without A levels first.

Psychology A level isn't a must for most universities but obviously it'll be very useful. Plus it's interesting and fun! Some universities like you to do another science A level too. Maybe you should search up some psychology degree courses and see what their entry requirements are. All universities vary.

Thank you!! That helped. Most universities suggest I get a degree in medicine first, and for that I require biology,chemistry,physics and math for a levels. However, do you think I could omit one subject? (Preferably math or physics)
You're welcome! Why do you need a degree in medicine first if you want to become a psychologist? You can just do a psychology degree.

I'd say physics as many universities regard maths quite highly. Physics isn't as needed for either medicine or psychology. Maths isn't a necessity either, but like I said, some universities are more likely to take you in if you did maths at either AS or A level, for example Cambridge.
Reply 4
You're welcome! Why do you need a degree in medicine first if you want to become a psychologist? You can just do a psychology degree.

I'd say physics as many universities regard maths quite highly. Physics isn't as needed for either medicine or psychology. Maths isn't a necessity either, but like I said, some universities are more likely to take you in if you did maths at either AS or A level, for example Cambridge.

I would like to go for clinical psychologist and I'm extremely lost right now. I wish to study somewhere in Europe for my university, and I can't seem to settle for any yet. Do you have any suggestions? What kind of courses should I take up to become a clinical psychologist, more importantly, what kind of degrees do I need to have? Also keeping in mind that I didn't take psychology for my IGCSE. I only took Chem,bio and physics. So I need to start psychology from the basics in university.
Excuse me if I sound pretty dumb because I really don't understand whatever I've researched about clinical psychologists on the internet so far. I don't understand the meaning of courses/degrees so if you could please help me out, I'd appreciate it so much. Thank you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi. I'm doing a level psychology (im in my 2nd year). I would also definitely say take a levels before going to uni. Otherwise they just won't take you.
So if you want to be a clinical psychologist (helping people with metal Illness ) I would advise you to take a level psychology. Even though it's not a necessity, it can be quite useful especially knowing the foundations of research methods (also you could just take a level maths instead of physics( A lot of ppl have said that a level psychology is very different to psychology at uni so I think having basic foundational knowledge is important. A lot of school don't offer psychology at gcse or I gcse level so don't worry about that. I think psychology is really interesting!! Learning about why ppl behave the way they do is pretty great experience. And the good thing about it is that it can take you into so many career paths - business, clinician, occupational therapist, education, forensic psychologist, social worker, neuroscience, researcher.. so yeah :wink:
A level biology complements very well with psychology a level so that might be something to consider. Not so much chem or physics. If you want to take all 3 pure sciences and go into medicine and then psychiatry that's fair enough. Btw do I have a career guidance team at your college that you could go talk to about ur choices plus they could give you advice about what universities offer or require/look for. Good luck!!
Most UK degrees are certified by the BPS (British psychological association), so you if you get one of those that qualify you to go on to complete graduate clinical training schemes.
Therefore the best course of action is to do A levels (all unis require at least one science/maths, some would like 2, but no more than that is required) (maths, bio, chem are probably the best options though), apply through UCAS for a psychology degree (usually aprox 3 years), and then after that enter graduate training programmes to complete clinical psychology speciality qualification
Original post by Learner7689
I would like to go for clinical psychologist and I'm extremely lost right now. I wish to study somewhere in Europe for my university, and I can't seem to settle for any yet. Do you have any suggestions? What kind of courses should I take up to become a clinical psychologist, more importantly, what kind of degrees do I need to have? Also keeping in mind that I didn't take psychology for my IGCSE. I only took Chem,bio and physics. So I need to start psychology from the basics in university.
Excuse me if I sound pretty dumb because I really don't understand whatever I've researched about clinical psychologists on the internet so far. I don't understand the meaning of courses/degrees so if you could please help me out, I'd appreciate it so much. Thank you.

No worries. A degree is a qualification achieved upon completion of a course in higher education at a university or a college.

To become a clinical psychologist, you first need a BSc or BA honours degree in psychology (so basically your standard psychology degree lasting three years). This allows you to become a Graduate Member of the British Psychological Society which will allow you to then apply for post graduate courses in clinical psychology, leading to a doctorate.
Reply 8
Original post by X_Hope_X
Hi. I'm doing a level psychology (im in my 2nd year). I would also definitely say take a levels before going to uni. Otherwise they just won't take you.
So if you want to be a clinical psychologist (helping people with metal Illness ) I would advise you to take a level psychology. Even though it's not a necessity, it can be quite useful especially knowing the foundations of research methods (also you could just take a level maths instead of physics( A lot of ppl have said that a level psychology is very different to psychology at uni so I think having basic foundational knowledge is important. A lot of school don't offer psychology at gcse or I gcse level so don't worry about that. I think psychology is really interesting!! Learning about why ppl behave the way they do is pretty great experience. And the good thing about it is that it can take you into so many career paths - business, clinician, occupational therapist, education, forensic psychologist, social worker, neuroscience, researcher.. so yeah :wink:
A level biology complements very well with psychology a level so that might be something to consider. Not so much chem or physics. If you want to take all 3 pure sciences and go into medicine and then psychiatry that's fair enough. Btw do I have a career guidance team at your college that you could go talk to about ur choices plus they could give you advice about what universities offer or require/look for. Good luck!!

Thank you so so much!! My concern here is that I'd love to take psychology for my a levels but isn't it tough that way, because it won't start from the basics, as psychology is already an option in my school for IGCSE, but I just didn't choose it. I'd definitely choose psychology for a levels, but I'm just afraid they don't start with the basics (that's what I suppose, I'm not sure). So like if they don't start with the complete basics, it'd be difficult for me to keep up.
May I know where are you studying and in which uni? Did you opt for clicnical or educational psychology? If you don't mind, of course.
Reply 9
Original post by cazzers123
Most UK degrees are certified by the BPS (British psychological association), so you if you get one of those that qualify you to go on to complete graduate clinical training schemes.
Therefore the best course of action is to do A levels (all unis require at least one science/maths, some would like 2, but no more than that is required) (maths, bio, chem are probably the best options though), apply through UCAS for a psychology degree (usually aprox 3 years), and then after that enter graduate training programmes to complete clinical psychology speciality qualification

That's helpful. Thank you so much, I kinddd offf get the gist of it. However, I do not plan on studying in UK. Thank you for the reply though, makes me more confident.
No worries. A degree is a qualification achieved upon completion of a course in higher education at a university or a college.

To become a clinical psychologist, you first need a BSc or BA honours degree in psychology (so basically your standard psychology degree lasting three years). This allows you to become a Graduate Member of the British Psychological Society which will allow you to then apply for post graduate courses in clinical psychology, leading to a doctorate.

Hmm, thank you. What is this graduate member of the British psychological society you speak of? Does this only apply to the ones studying in UK or is this an international thing?
Reply 11
As everyones saying, think about taking Psychology for A Levels. Its a wonderful subject and definitely my most interesting! Other subjects that compliment it are maths if you're going to be doing a LOT of statistics and in terms of worrying about whether they start from the basics in psychology, they do! You'll be in the same boat as everyone that hasn't done it before. I'm currently applying to do Psychology for my undergraduate and most universities want you to have done at least one from Pschology, Biology, Physics, Maths and Chemistry at A level. If you're thinking about clinical then it might be worth doing Chemistry but its not essential. I never thought about becoming a Psychologist but I've worked with a lot of them during my work experience. A vast majority have not only completed their undergraduate degree, but have taken their phD/ completed their doctorate and become doctors. To be able to start in a clinic and start having patients, you have to take on additional training. Not really sure how this works for countries other than the UK, but my supervisor got a funded to do her training course in Liverpool and she said the acceptance rate was only 2%! From your post you sound passionate and i have no doubt that you can achieve this. Good luck in the future x
If your school offers Psychology as an A Level take it, I started a degree that is half psych with no prior study and found it so difficult. I had a talk on how to be an educational psychologist last month and the route was to do a Psychology degree, then a postgraduate and then after that a doctorate before taking a training scheme. All together it would take around 10 years so definitely think if it is something that you want to pursue.
Original post by XKH1300
As everyones saying, think about taking Psychology for A Levels. Its a wonderful subject and definitely my most interesting! Other subjects that compliment it are maths if you're going to be doing a LOT of statistics and in terms of worrying about whether they start from the basics in psychology, they do! You'll be in the same boat as everyone that hasn't done it before. I'm currently applying to do Psychology for my undergraduate and most universities want you to have done at least one from Pschology, Biology, Physics, Maths and Chemistry at A level. If you're thinking about clinical then it might be worth doing Chemistry but its not essential. I never thought about becoming a Psychologist but I've worked with a lot of them during my work experience. A vast majority have not only completed their undergraduate degree, but have taken their phD/ completed their doctorate and become doctors. To be able to start in a clinic and start having patients, you have to take on additional training. Not really sure how this works for countries other than the UK, but my supervisor got a funded to do her training course in Liverpool and she said the acceptance rate was only 2%! From your post you sound passionate and i have no doubt that you can achieve this. Good luck in the future x

Awww. You're so sweet, thank you so much. Aaah, acceptance rate thing has put me in a dielamma now, haha. I still need to ponder over taking psychology for a levels, because I don't trust my school. I feel the psychology teacher isn't qualified enough and I don't wish to change schools/I might not have much of an option to change. But really, thank you so much for the advice. Good luck, hope you achieve all the things you wish for. You, as well, sound like a sincerely passionate person. ā¤ļø
Original post by kayleighisonfire
If your school offers Psychology as an A Level take it, I started a degree that is half psych with no prior study and found it so difficult. I had a talk on how to be an educational psychologist last month and the route was to do a Psychology degree, then a postgraduate and then after that a doctorate before taking a training scheme. All together it would take around 10 years so definitely think if it is something that you want to pursue.

Oh my God, must be a tough time for you. Good luck with what you're doing, may I ask what course are you taking right now?
And I plan on doing clinical psychology, as there's where most of my interest lies.
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh my God, must be a tough time for you. Good luck with what you're doing, may I ask what course are you taking right now?
And I plan on doing clinical psychology, as there's where most of my interest lies.

Thanks but I'm in third year and no longer find Psychology so difficult :smile: I am currently studying Education and Psychology. I am no expert but I would imagine the routes are very similar
Thank you so so much!! My concern here is that I'd love to take psychology for my a levels but isn't it tough that way, because it won't start from the basics, as psychology is already an option in my school for IGCSE, but I just didn't choose it. I'd definitely choose psychology for a levels, but I'm just afraid they don't start with the basics (that's what I suppose, I'm not sure). So like if they don't start with the complete basics, it'd be difficult for me to keep up.
May I know where are you studying and in which uni? Did you opt for clicnical or educational psychology? If you don't mind, of course.

Anytime šŸ˜† And no not really. It might help if you had taken it at igcse. But quite a few ppl coming from outside ur lower school may not have been given that opport to study psychology. Therefore, they will start from the very basic foundation) so everyone is on the same grounding. That way the system is fair plus those who studied psychology previously will recall some knowledge plus learn a lot more about the subject. A level psychology has a LOT of content in it and it's kind of like a memory game. But honestly work hard, do revision consistently and you will honestly be fine!

I've been looking at uni's lately (sorry for not being clear before, but I'm actually in my last year of a levels) and from what I've been told is that, if you want to become a clinical psychologist you need to apply for a uni course that is accredited by the BPS (British psychological society). You will know if it does if it has a BSc (stand for Bachelor if sciences) in front of the course title. You still have some time though. Just a tip in advance.

I'm applying for uni next month and I'm just choosing pure psychology because then I can have a feel of all the modules and then decide which field I want to speakiae in.

Good luck and all the best šŸ™‚
Original post by kayleighisonfire
Thanks but I'm in third year and no longer find Psychology so difficult :smile: I am currently studying Education and Psychology. I am no expert but I would imagine the routes are very similar

Great!! Glad to hear so. Good luck for the future.
Hmm, thank you. What is this graduate member of the British psychological society you speak of? Does this only apply to the ones studying in UK or is this an international thing?

You can follow the link I attached. It's basically the society that recognises a psychology degree and therefore enables you to carry on education into clinical psychology.
Original post by X_Hope_X
Anytime šŸ˜† And no not really. It might help if you had taken it at igcse. But quite a few ppl coming from outside ur lower school may not have been given that opport to study psychology. Therefore, they will start from the very basic foundation) so everyone is on the same grounding. That way the system is fair plus those who studied psychology previously will recall some knowledge plus learn a lot more about the subject. A level psychology has a LOT of content in it and it's kind of like a memory game. But honestly work hard, do revision consistently and you will honestly be fine!

I've been looking at uni's lately (sorry for not being clear before, but I'm actually in my last year of a levels) and from what I've been told is that, if you want to become a clinical psychologist you need to apply for a uni course that is accredited by the BPS (British psychological society). You will know if it does if it has a BSc (stand for Bachelor if sciences) in front of the course title. You still have some time though. Just a tip in advance.

I'm applying for uni next month and I'm just choosing pure psychology because then I can have a feel of all the modules and then decide which field I want to speakiae in.

Good luck and all the best šŸ™‚

Woah. Good luck!! I can already tell you're gonna do well. Do you mind if I asked which university have you applied for and where? And did you get accepted yet or have I spoken too soon? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest