The Student Room Group

Housemen and women condoning slavery!

I saw a news report the other day that wonderfully progressive and au courant students at Liverpool University have realised a hall of residence condones slavery.

It is named after a rather notable statesman whose father made money from sugar plantations in the West Indies. Shrugging off accusations of historical presentism, hindsight bias and just general fcuckwittery they have bravely launched a campaign to remove the name.

(The whole city of Liverpool was built on slavery, of course, but one step at a time).

It made me think that students at Christ Church are missing a trick. It is a long time since I dined there but I seem to remember there is a rather prominent portrait of that self same scion of slave trading hanging in the rather splendid Hall.

Not good enough! This condones slavery! We all know Christ Church students are secret revolutionaries. Time to tear down that portrait and sever all links with this man, of whom, for some reason they are so proud...
not sure why they wish to name it after stale white male news jockey John Snow; surely the fragrant Moira Stuart would be a better choice ?
Original post by the bear
not sure why they wish to name it after stale white male news jockey John Snow; surely the fragrant Moira Stuart would be a better choice ?

Agreed, naming it after a white man is deeply racist. Moira’s a good shout, or if not how about Mishal Hussein? She goes one better, being a woman, of colour, AND a Muslim! Pretty fragrant too. :smile:
Original post by astutehirstute
Agreed, naming it after a white man is deeply racist. Moira’s a good shout, or if not how about Mishal Hussein? She goes one better, being a woman, of colour, AND a Muslim! Pretty fragrant too. :smile:

ermm Yvonne Goolagong. :fan:
Reply 4
Whinge whinge whinge...
This BBC article shows how low a once august institution has sunk. The idea that a stupid, senile, vapid, autocue reader is as worthy of remembrance by Liverpool as one of the greatest men ever to emerge from the city is laughable. Tragic even, for our culture.

Read it and weep...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-42013806

Gladstone was the most esteemed politician of the nineteenth century, the era that was the greatest in our entire history. Together with Churchill he is arguably one of the two greatest Prime Ministers in the last two hundred years. Trust me, school kids reading this, he was some dude.

Do you get any sense from that in this article? Or is the only thing the historical illiterate who wrote it know is that his father was a slaveowner?
Original post by the bear

Moira Stuart is the descendant of a slave owner. Jon Snow is merely the descendant of a "donkey" who lost 6500 "lions" killed or wounded on 1st July 1916.
I tend to take a simple rule (that I find very effective) for deciding whether something historical should be removed due to our current morality:

Was the person in question condemed within their own time period?

If yes - remove if you want
If no - keep.

So:

Hitler, stalin etc. = go.
in this case in liverpool = stay.

Explanation:

Spoiler

Original post by nulli tertius
Moira Stuart is the descendant of a slave owner. Jon Snow is merely the descendant of a "donkey" who lost 6500 "lions" killed or wounded on 1st July 1916.

people who call themselves Jon instead of John, really grind my gears.

you would not call yourself Nuli would you ? :emo:

Quick Reply

Latest