DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I feel like this is a really stupid question, but I need to ask it anyway. I have a 1000 word essay I've written and it's 996 words. However I'm not sure, does the title count towards that limit? I know references at the end don't, so I'm not sure if this doesn't too.
sahjahn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Different rules for different Unis. You need to look at the regulations for your department
ThatOldGuy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is it 996 words as counted by Word? Because that will include all those things you're suggesting in the number and you might need more.

However, there's usually a 10% leeway either way for an essay, so 996 is pretty good.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThatOldGuy)
Is it 996 words as counted by Word? Because that will include all those things you're suggesting in the number and you might need more.

However, there's usually a 10% leeway either way for an essay, so 996 is pretty good.
It's 996 of just my essay, not including the title or my references as the end. I'm asking because I don't want it to be included because that would put me over. My uni has no leeway so you have to be under or just on 1000.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
(Original post by VirgoStrain)
No it doesn’t. Expand a couple of sentences or write a new one to reach the limit. You can’t be that short of ideas.
My essay is 996 words. That doesn't include the title or my references at the end. I'm asking because I don't want the title to be included as that would push me over the limit.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
The content of your essay is the only thing that counts. Therefore you are 4 words short of the limit.
Yeah I know I'm 4 words short, which is why I don't want the title included as that is more than 4 words, therefore I will get penalised if it is included and I don't know it. I've emailed my lecturer to confirm if it's included or not. I don't think is it, but I don't want to take the chance.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are you at university? If you are then check your student hand book.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Well if you aren’t penalised for being a few words short then I don’t see why you’re fussed about changing the word count.
We are penalised for going over the limit. The title is more than 4 words, therefore if it is included in the word count it means I will be penalised. This is why I want to know if it is included so I can change my essay in good time to allow for the title. I'm not bothered that I'm 4 words short. I'm bothered that I might end up being several words over the limit.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I feel like this is a really stupid question, but I need to ask it anyway. I have a 1000 word essay I've written and it's 996 words. However I'm not sure, does the title count towards that limit? I know references at the end don't, so I'm not sure if this doesn't too.
Different rules for different unis. But I would try and make it up to the 1,000 just to cover yourself.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Seamus123)
Different rules for different unis. But I would try and make it up to the 1,000 just to cover yourself.
We aren't penalised for being under the word limit so being 4 words short doesn't matter. I'm more concerned with the title being included and it pushing me over the limit.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
We aren't penalised for being under the word limit so being 4 words short doesn't matter. I'm more concerned with the title being included and it pushing me over the limit.
If you have a student handbook, check that, it'll tell you what is and isn't included.

For example, at my university we had a cover page (including the title, registration number, etc.) and it wasn't included in the word count and neither was the reference list or appendix if used.
Umario101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It amuses me how many people failed to understand the question lmao
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (70)
18.37%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (108)
28.35%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (143)
37.53%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
12.6%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed