The Student Room Group

Who is the best Prime minister ever?

Poll

Who is the best Prime minister ever?

**UK AND POST-WAR**

For me it's Gordon Brown, that's right, Gordon Brown. I think many will disagree with me and that's fine.

Gordon Brown:
-Pulled troops out of Iraq, 3 years before the US did.
-Stopped Syria acquiring nuclear weapons.
-Stopped a collapse to the world economy. Yes, yes he did.
-Stopped UK entering the euro.
amongst other things such as:
-Free bus passes for the elderly.
-Without Brown Scotland may be independent.

I am referring politicians time as the Prime Minister, not as backbenchers or ministers.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think it's Justin Trudeau.

Look how handsome that mug is!

Justin Trudeau is way more handsome than Gordon Brown and would definitely beat him in a street fight.
Reply 2
Original post by GovernmentEarner
**UK AND POST-WAR**

For me it's Gordon Brown that's right, Gordon Brown. I think many will disagree with me and that's fine.

Gordon Brown:
-Pulled troops out of Iraq, 3 years before the US did.
-Stopped Syria acquiring nuclear weapons.
-Stopped a collapse to the world economy. Yes, yes he did.
-Stopped UK entering the euro.
amongst other things such as:
-Free bus passes for the elderly.
-Without Brown Scotland may be independent.

I am referring politicians time as the Prime Minister, not as backbenchers or ministers.

I would point out a few minor factual errors here...
The main reason Syria and other countries halted their WMD programmes was in the aftermath of the Iraq war and not wanting to be squashed as well, so if anything it would have been Blair
He did do an admirable job of lessening the damaging impact of the great recession in Britain and managed to bang a few heads at the various 'G' meetings but to i feel you're giving him far more credit than can realisticly be assigned here.
The last one is somewhat more contentious
Original post by Napp
I would point out a few minor factual errors here...
The main reason Syria and other countries halted their WMD programmes was in the aftermath of the Iraq war and not wanting to be squashed as well, so if anything it would have been Blair
He did do an admirable job of lessening the damaging impact of the great recession in Britain and managed to bang a few heads at the various 'G' meetings but to i feel you're giving him far more credit than can realisticly be assigned here.
The last one is somewhat more contentious

No he supported Israeli bombing of Syrian nuclear weapons.
I admit he didn't do a perfect job after the financial crisis, but without the actions he took, there would have been monumental consequences.

I'm only trying to show-off some of the stuff he did because people always assume he = blair + he caused the crash...
Who voted for winston post-war? lmao
Reply 5
No he supported Israeli bombing of Syrian nuclear weapons.
I admit he didn't do a perfect job after the financial crisis, but without the actions he took, there would have been monumental consequences.

I'm only trying to show-off some of the stuff he did because people always assume he = blair + he caused the crash...

Syria didn't have any nuclear weapons to bomb...

Oh don't getme wrong, he did do a good job but the Americans did more to wind down the crisis, as it were, American problem could onlybe 'fixed' with an american solution. He did a great job for Britain though.
Reply 6
I didn't notice "post-war" so voted "other".

Either Thatcher or Blair.
Original post by usualsuspects
I didn't notice "post-war" so voted "other".

Either Thatcher or Blair.

No worries. Would you choose those two, because they brought the greatest ideological shift to politics and held office the longest? Or other reasons?
(edited 6 years ago)
In terms of specifically post WWII, Attlee. Rebuilt the country after WW2, created the NHS and fundamentally just got **** done.
Reply 9
No worries. Would you choose those two, because they brought the greatest ideological shift to politics and held office the longest? Or other reasons?

Ideological shift as you put it
Original post by Gwilym101
In terms of specifically post WWII, Attlee. Rebuilt the country after WW2, created the NHS and fundamentally just got **** done.

Yeh Attlee was great, deffo top 3 for me.
Original post by Napp
Syria didn't have any nuclear weapons to bomb...

Oh don't getme wrong, he did do a good job but the Americans did more to wind down the crisis, as it were, American problem could onlybe 'fixed' with an american solution. He did a great job for Britain though.

Exactly, they never got nuclear weapons due to Browns intervention.

At least you’re giving brown some credit, so many underestimate him.
Reply 12
Exactly, they never got nuclear weapons due to Browns intervention.

At least you’re giving brown some credit, so many underestimate him.

I stand by it's a highly dubious proposition to say it was down to him but i'll concede the difference in opinion.

Oh I have no particular problem with Brown, as far as PM's go he was quite good, just incredibly unfortunate timing. There was an excellent piece on him in the Spectator or Newstateman [i forget which] but it was quite complimentary of him
William Gladstone

Among his many achievements, he disestablished the Church of Ireland to free Roman Catholics from having to pay taxes to the Anglican church, supported an Irish land act that protected the peasantry, and achieved important reformsβ€”competitive admission to the civil service, vote by secret ballot, abolition of sales commissions in the army, educational expansion, and court reorganization.
Original post by the bear
William Gladstone

Among his many achievements, he disestablished the Church of Ireland to free Roman Catholics from having to pay taxes to the Anglican church, supported an Irish land act that protected the peasantry, and achieved important reformsβ€”competitive admission to the civil service, vote by secret ballot, abolition of sales commissions in the army, educational expansion, and court reorganization.

Gladstone was very capable but this poll is post-war, sorry if that wasn't clear. Any post-war PM you'd propose? πŸ™‚
Gladstone was very capable but this poll is post-war, sorry if that wasn't clear. Any post-war PM you'd propose? πŸ™‚

Mrs Thatcher; she made Britain great again.
Original post by the bear
William Gladstone

And he was proper clever too.
Original post by Gwilym101

I agree, just for the NHS. He also seemed to have a team in cabinet, not be a dictator with lackeys.
Clement Attlee.
Why isn't our current PM an option? Keep your political bias to yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest