The Student Room Group

ACA in a small firm or Graduate Pension Audit Assistant with ACCA at big FIRM?

I have been offered two different roles and both has its own pros and cons. One is a trainee position at small accountancy firm and the other is a Pension Audit Assistant role in a big accountancy firm (TOP 10) which is offering me a full ACCA study support. The pros and cons weigh out the same from my perspective so I am finding it very difficult to make a decision. I hope I can get some help here.
Reply 1
Original post by SKS17
I have been offered two different roles and both has its own pros and cons. One is a trainee position at small accountancy firm and the other is a Pension Audit Assistant role in a big accountancy firm (TOP 10) which is offering me a full ACCA study support. The pros and cons weigh out the same from my perspective so I am finding it very difficult to make a decision. I hope I can get some help here.

I don't think you've given enough details for anyone to assist much:

- what are you doing now? Student? Graduate?
- what have you studied previously? Any exemptions from professional exams?
- are the jobs in the same city? Do you have a preference for location?
- Why do you want to be an accountant? Do you have future aspirations?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
I don't think you've given enough details for anyone to assist much:

- what are you doing now? Student? Graduate?
- what have you studied previously? Any exemptions from professional exams?
- are the jobs in the same city? Do you have a preference for location?
- Why do you want to be an accountant? Do you have future aspirations?

I am an accounting and finance graduate with First Class Honours. I started my career as an Accounts Payable and made my way up to becoming a Financial Analyst in the same company but I though that I haven't had enough chance to showcase my skills and knowledge and felt as if I could do more than what I was doing so I started applying for graduate roles. My aim is to become a successful accountant and study towards a professional qualification (ACCA, ACA or CIMA).
If I end up doing ACCA, I can get 9 exemptions where as with ACA I will get 3.
Location is not big of an issue to be as both jobs are located in the same area.
Reply 3
Original post by SKS17
I am an accounting and finance graduate with First Class Honours. I started my career as an Accounts Payable and made my way up to becoming a Financial Analyst in the same company but I though that I haven't had enough chance to showcase my skills and knowledge and felt as if I could do more than what I was doing so I started applying for graduate roles. My aim is to become a successful accountant and study towards a professional qualification (ACCA, ACA or CIMA).
Location is not big of an issue to be as both jobs are located in the same area.

You sound like you are in a great position! What training do the jobs offer (I mean do they pay for courses and give any time off to study? Home study or block release?) Is there a tie in where you have to repay costs of studying if you don't stay for a length of time?
Original post by SKS17

Hi would you mind sharing the Uni you graduated from and your A-Level subjects(if you did them)?
Tysm & congrats on your job offers :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
You sound like you are in a great position! What training do the jobs offer (I mean do they pay for courses and give any time off to study? Home study or block release?) Is there a tie in where you have to repay costs of studying if you don't stay for a length of time?

Well, both firms are offering me a full study support. With the smaller firm once I pass my probation I will be signing a 3 years contract and I will be studying towards ACA. With the big firm, I am in a permanent contract plus a training contract for my study which will end once I am qualified. Both firms will give me time off when sitting a paper but I am getting more day with the bigger firm.
Reply 6
Original post by SKS17
Well, both firms are offering me a full study support. With the smaller firm once I pass my probation I will be signing a 3 years contract and I will be studying towards ACA. With the big firm, I am in a permanent contract plus a training contract for my study which will end once I am qualified. Both firms will give me time off when sitting a paper but I am getting more day with the bigger firm.

These would be my thoughts - from the school of hard knocks!

Big firm:

Pros:

- Brand name on your CV - don't underestimate this.

- Work in an office with lots of youngish graduates. You will likely make great friends and have a network which lasts for years. Lots of positive ambitious people. Generally an attractive office environment.

- Good to have people around you who are also studying who can offer encouragement and emotional support.

- with 9 exemptions ACCA shouldn't screw your life up too much. You'll only have 4/5 exams to sit (the exams for P stage are changing at the moment. You could finish this in a year then no more wasted weekends! Also good opportunity to do the MSc at UCL as part of the ACCA qualification. This could be very useful in the future.

- ACCA is more flexible if you want to leave before completing the qualification.

- Social skills - good experience in the corporate world. Very good training in dealing with clients and larger companies.

Cons:

- Pension auditing sounds pretty specific (however I've googled and there are lots of job ads for this speciality)

- Pensions schemes are closing down - probably not a long term career, although there will be lots of advisory and change type work for a few years. Thats assuming that you focus on company final salary schemes. If its major pensions firms investment products thats a really valuable technical skill to have.

- Not a very clear exit route to industry

Small firm:

Pros:

- ACA might be useful for some jobs. I'm a bit dubious about this - I think the distinction is over-estimated.

- You learn a lot about small businesses, and the accounting skills to work with them. Good opportunities to progress in the small business sector and move to partnership/ start your own firm should you wish to. I've seen colleagues in industry with such a background who kept a portfolio of clients so they always had a second income they could expand if they needed to.

- Very good if you'd like to start your own accounting / tax business. IME this really suits people from a small business background eg - family owned a cafe/ dad was a plumber.

- very good understanding of which sort of business make money and how.

- Soft skills - great for dealing with owner managers

Cons:

- 3 exemptions (I'd guess from pretty easy papers) is not much. Its pretty horrible studying and living with the uncertainty of exams.

- The sort of businesses you deal with are not generally the sort which employ qualified accountants - not always useful experience if you wish to move into industry, and not much opportunity to see the types of jobs available when you qualify.

- a small office? not many trainees?

- not straightforward to leave part way through ACA if you fancy a change or more money after a couple of years.

Personally I would go the ACCA route on the basis of exemptions gained to date - a year or so of sitting exams (if all goes to plan) is no big deal. Any more is painful.
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
These would be my thoughts - from the school of hard knocks!

Big firm:

Pros:

- Brand name on your CV - don't underestimate this.

- Work in an office with lots of youngish graduates. You will likely make great friends and have a network which lasts for years. Lots of positive ambitious people. Generally an attractive office environment.

- Good to have people around you who are also studying who can offer encouragement and emotional support.

- with 9 exemptions ACCA shouldn't screw your life up too much. You'll only have 4/5 exams to sit (the exams for P stage are changing at the moment. You could finish this in a year then no more wasted weekends! Also good opportunity to do the MSc at UCL as part of the ACCA qualification. This could be very useful in the future.

- ACCA is more flexible if you want to leave before completing the qualification.

- Social skills - good experience in the corporate world. Very good training in dealing with clients and larger companies.

Cons:

- Pension auditing sounds pretty specific (however I've googled and there are lots of job ads for this speciality)

- Pensions schemes are closing down - probably not a long term career, although there will be lots of advisory and change type work for a few years. Thats assuming that you focus on company final salary schemes. If its major pensions firms investment products thats a really valuable technical skill to have.

- Not a very clear exit route to industry

Small firm:

Pros:

- ACA might be useful for some jobs. I'm a bit dubious about this - I think the distinction is over-estimated.

- You learn a lot about small businesses, and the accounting skills to work with them. Good opportunities to progress in the small business sector and move to partnership/ start your own firm should you wish to. I've seen colleagues in industry with such a background who kept a portfolio of clients so they always had a second income they could expand if they needed to.

- Very good if you'd like to start your own accounting / tax business. IME this really suits people from a small business background eg - family owned a cafe/ dad was a plumber.

- very good understanding of which sort of business make money and how.

- Soft skills - great for dealing with owner managers

Cons:

- 3 exemptions (I'd guess from pretty easy papers) is not much. Its pretty horrible studying and living with the uncertainty of exams.

- The sort of businesses you deal with are not generally the sort which employ qualified accountants - not always useful experience if you wish to move into industry, and not much opportunity to see the types of jobs available when you qualify.

- a small office? not many trainees?

- not straightforward to leave part way through ACA if you fancy a change or more money after a couple of years.

Personally I would go the ACCA route on the basis of exemptions gained to date - a year or so of sitting exams (if all goes to plan) is no big deal. Any more is painful.

Thank you for your detailed feedback. I will definitely take these points into consideration.

Quick Reply

Latest