What does controls mean in psychology?

Watch
username3590460
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
And what are the pros and cons of using controls ?

I'm literally so confused.
username3590460
Rep:
?
bump
lmaooome
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As in control groups?
username1339858_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you mean these controls?
username3590460
Rep:
?
(Original post by lmaooome)
As in control groups?
Like a controlled experiment (laboratory)

No
lmaooome
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by FloralLuxe)

No
Right, a pro about controlled groups is that the experimenter/researcher has the ability to manipulate the IV so it has high internal validity thus, the experiment can be replicated etc.

A disadvantage of controlled experiments is that it has low ecological validity and lacks in mundane realism. This may cause the participants to be exposed to demand characteristics. Therefore, it may not be appropriate to generalise the results gathered to the target population.
danielarodrigues
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A pro would be that there’s high control of variables and it would limit extraneous variables also.

A con would be that it lacks ecological validity due to the high control - doesn’t really represent everyday life.
Pink fizz
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well using a controlled lab experiment means you can minimise extraneous variables but the results can lack mundane realism. Also controlled lab experiments can illicit demand characteristics
username1339858_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Found the following (in the spoiler) on this site
Spoiler:
Show

Laboratory experiments
Lab experiments don’t have to be carried out in a laboratory. However, any experiment that is carried out in a special, tightly controlled environment is classed as laboratory. Importantly it is obvious to those taking part that that they are in an experimental procedure. Laboratory experiments are therefore artificial and tightly controlled, leading to the following advantages and disadvantages:
Advantages of lab experiments

Cause and effect: We can usually see that the IV has caused the alteration in the DV. If we have controlled our experiment we should be able to show that it was the coffee that was responsible for the faster reaction times.

Replication: Provided care has been taken in conducting and reporting the procedure another person should be able to repeat your procedure to see if they get the same results.
Disadvantages of lab experiments

Lacks ecological validity: As we’ve seen so many times (e.g. in memory and in Milgram), experiments, especially those in laboratories are very artificial. Can they really tell us how people will behave in real life situations?

Demand characteristics: New one for you; this refers to participants behaving differently because they know they’re being watched. We saw this in Milgram. It could be that they guess what you want and try to please the experimenter, e.g. by obeying!Not all experiments however are carried out in artificial settings and not all allow full control of the IV. Other types of experiment are covered next:

username3590460
Rep:
?
(Original post by lmaooome)
Right, a pro about controlled groups is that the experimenter/researcher has the ability to manipulate the IV so it has high internal validity thus, the experiment can be replicated etc.

A disadvantage of controlled experiments is that it has low ecological validity and lacks in mundane realism. This may cause the participants to be exposed to demand characteristics. Therefore, it may not be appropriate to generalise the results gathered to the target population.

(Original post by danielarodrigues)
A pro would be that there’s high control of variables and it would limit extraneous variables also.

A con would be that it lacks ecological validity due to the high control - doesn’t really represent everyday life.
(Original post by Ginger_)
Well using a controlled lab experiment means you can minimise extraneous variables but the results can lack mundane realism. Also controlled lab experiments can illicit demand characteristics
Thanks for the advantages + disadvantages but can you give me an example of a researcher controlling a variable?
danielarodrigues
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for the advantages + disadvantages but can you give me an example of a researcher controlling a variable?
I guess it would be through the experiment design, like independent measures where there’s two groups and each are allocated a different condition of the IV. That’s basically controlling a variable.
username3590460
Rep:
?
(Original post by danielarodrigues)
I guess it would be through the experiment design, like independent measures where there’s two groups and each are allocated a different condition of the IV. That’s basically controlling a variable.
Thanks guys
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (9)
15.52%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (13)
22.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (4)
6.9%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (8)
13.79%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (4)
6.9%
I think it's an unfair expectation (18)
31.03%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
3.45%

Watched Threads