Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know which university I want to go to between these two. They're both similar in terms of ranking and they're both really close to each other so the quality of the uni and the distance aren't the problems for me. Which one do you guys think is better? Has anyone been to both open days and preferred one over the other, if so why?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What course? What career ambitions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humz007)
    What course? What career ambitions?
    Psychology and hopefully going into forensic psychology in the future
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by aninozaut)
    I really don't know which university I want to go to between these two. They're both similar in terms of ranking and they're both really close to each other so the quality of the uni and the distance aren't the problems for me. Which one do you guys think is better? Has anyone been to both open days and preferred one over the other, if so why?
    Do you have offers from both?

Have *you* visited both - your own opinion is more relevant than strangers...

And, most importantly, you don't have to choose until May next year. There is no rush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Do you have offers from both?

Have *you* visited both - your own opinion is more relevant than strangers...

And, most importantly, you don't have to choose until May next year. There is no rush.
    I have an offer from Loughborough and I think I could get one from nottingham considering they're the same entry requirement for psychology. And the problem is I haven't been to any open days for these unis! Only recently I decided to apply for these unis but it was too late to visit the open days

ReputationRep:
    For one, Loughborough isn't a Russel Group Uni, whilst Nottingham is, so that's definitely something you might want to consider
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I have an offer from Loughborough and I think I could get one from nottingham considering they're the same entry requirement for psychology. And the problem is I haven't been to any open days for these unis! Only recently I decided to apply for these unis but it was too late to visit the open days
    Well if you have a spare choice then apply. Then if you get the 2 offers you can visit both, and decide.

Ultimately the most important thing is finding the best course for you.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham is far more reputable worldwide and a very employable uni. Not only this, it is a much better location than Loughborough, which some may joke is a village
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi aninozaut

Congrats on your offer.

You'll be invited to an applicant day, so you can have a good look around then. Similarly if you get an offer from Nottingham, you'll be invited there too. You don't have to make a decision until May, so it's definitely worth waiting to make your decision until you've visited both and see which one suits you the best.

Other's opinions are always interesting to see - but ultimately it's about which you think you'll be happier at, so really think a visit is the best way to make your mind up if that's at all possible.

If you need any info, have a look on our forum pages here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=125 or just ask - we're always happy to help.

Vicky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanilla Twilight)
    For one, Loughborough isn't a Russel Group Uni, whilst Nottingham is, so that's definitely something you might want to consider
    No it's not definitely worth considering... Universities that are part of the Russell Group are only in there because they research science and have some kind of STEM centre. If not science, in general they are research intensive universities (meaning the lecturers care more about their own research than your studies).

It barely makes any difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbiddell)
    No it's not definitely worth considering... Universities that are part of the Russell Group are only in there because they research science and have some kind of STEM centre. If not science, in general they are research intensive universities (meaning the lecturers care more about their own research than your studies).

It barely makes any difference.
    Russell Group unis are all high in the university league tables but I agree that it probably makes no difference. You might be more likely to be employed though and most Russel Group unis have high teaching standards. It depends if you're doing a science type subject or not.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Vanilla Twilight)
    Russell Group unis are all high in the university league tables but I agree that it probably makes no difference. You might be more likely to be employed though and most Russel Group unis have high teaching standards. It depends if you're doing a science type subject or not.
    Loughborough is ranked higher than many RG universities. It also has a Gold TEF unlike many in the RG.

The RG is not a guarantee of quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.