Kolan123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
When I am writing my responses my teacher has told me that I have really good ideas and themes but I am conveying them in really simple way that might not be as effective to get a high grade, so my question is what are some good big words that will really impress the reader. I have already started reading difficult books but I also want to expand my vocab in another way. The words have to link to:war, poetry,conflcit, guilt, ambition, fate, mystery. And the books I'm studying are sign of four, Macbeth and an inspector calls.
amberfox264
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
juxtaposition - two things with contrasting effect, placed together or seen together
Sentence example- (In my poem comparison, I wrote about how the structure of Storm On The Island- which could represent Ireland's oneness as it is in one stanza- is different from the meaning of the poem- the poem is about the fighting in Ireland. I wrote...) "The singular stanza is juxtaposed against the true meaning of the poem"

connotation - the connotation of a word is what you generally think about when you think about a certain word. Certain words in books or poems are used because they have specific connotations, so they put ideas in the reader's mind. For example "dawn has connotations of hope and new beginnings" or "the sun has connotations of happiness" or "the colour black has negative connotations"

hyperbole- a hyperbole is just an exaggeration. If you were writing about the phrase "a million memories playing over in my head", instead of writing the writer exaggerates the amount of memories he has, you could write the writer uses a hyperbole to exaggerate how many memories he has or something like that.

I can't think of any more at the moment but if I think of any then I will tell you! Or if there is a word that you want to use but you don't know how to use it in a sentence, I could try and help, but I might not know either haha
Kolan123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks
Vanilla Twilight
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This site was my bible for GCSE English http://literary-devices.com/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (223)
43.47%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.6%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
21.05%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (57)
11.11%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.46%

Watched Threads