The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Medicine A-level choices

Hi guys! I have to choose my A-level options and I'm unsure about my 4th option. I've decided I definitely want to do Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I plan to continue to take my 4th option to A2 (as well as the other 3). However, I can't decide between Further Maths, Latin or Physics. I enjoy them all and I'm quite good at them as well but idk which one to pick. The dream would be to study medicine at Oxbridge (probably Cambridge) but I'm not sure what to do especially since most candidates have 3 sciences and maths. Would picking Latin put me at a disadvantage in any way and would it look good on UCAS (especially for Oxbridge)? Please help and thanks!
Reply 1
I’m in the exact same position as you, I’m pretty good maths and my teacher recommends I do do furthers maths but at the moment I think I’m going to apply for maths chemistry biology and physics. I’d strongly recommend you do the same as for medicine some universities (i think oxbridge) don’t count further maths if you already have maths for medicine. Definitely for medicine I’d recommend you pick physics instead of further maths or Latin.
I also want to do medicine at oxbridge.
So yeah if I were you I’d go for physics.
If you want to apply to Cambridge I recommend that you take physics as your fourth choice
Chemistry, Biology, and Maths without a fourth option are sufficient. Another subject is unlikely to benefit regardless of whether it's Physics, Further Maths, or something else. Reviewing some physics topics from GCSE/AS level might be helpful for e.g. physiology labs and stuff - notably stuff on electromagnetism and circuits if you don't take Physics.

They aren't going to see you've taken Latin and say "ooh they've done something different we definitely want to take them". Additionally getting A*AAA rather than the required A*A*A will immediately disqualify you regardless of subject choices (from Oxbridge specifically, that is). There's really no benefit to doing a fourth subject and not focusing on your core subjects.

Even if you're not wholly committed to medicine, Bio/Chem/Maths will suffice for entry to pretty much all bioscience and chemistry courses, as well as perhaps a small number of engineering or CS courses (in e.g. Materials or Chemical Engineering), Law or Economics, and anything else which doesn't have specific subject prerequisites.
Three is entirely sufficient. Four risks increasing your workload. That is offset a little by the fact you can 'fail' one subject and still get the grades you need, however some med schools won't recognise f.maths so that choice might limit that benefit.

Physics has a bit of overlap with maths so might be a little easier if that's where your talents lie.

Otherwise... its your 4th subject. Pick what you want.
Reply 5
You don't need a fourth subject, it doesn't benefit your Oxbridge application in any way and most applicants to Oxbridge for Medicine will not be taking three sciences and Maths, you're only putting unnecessary extra work on yourself. As mentioned earlier, A*AAA is not as good as A*A*A, if you get an offer from Cambridge you will have to get at least 2 A*s regardless of how many A-levels your taking and that is already difficult to meet as it is, especially with the reformed A-levels, why put extra pressure on yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest