Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My examiner failed me today, He gave me a serious fault during reversing around the corner. Apparently I did not look over my right shoulder.

I parked up on the left before reversing, checking all my mirrors, I checked my blind spots too. It was clear, I began the mounevre during the mounevre. I looked at all my mirrors, looked around, looked behind, and over my shoulder. Until parking.

When he debriefed me, he explained that I did not look over my right shoulder *At all. I expressed that I looked over before I started, and also looked over during the reverse. He then changed his comment saying I looked over my shoulder way too late... at this point I just gave up arguing because there was just no point. I also noticed during the test he was not very observant, and kept looking out the left of the window at the scenary, you could say he was checking the left mirror, but the way he was sat, the left mirror would be angled at the door so you cant see anything of relevance. Now I've rebooked my test and now I have to take the new test and spend more money. Does anyone have any suggestions to prevent things like this from happening on the next test?

ReputationRep:
    Never argue with the examiner first and foremost; take it on the chin, listen to their feedback. If he says you didn't then either you didn't, or you didn't do it well enough; you have to slightly exaggerate your movements, my instructor had a second mirror fitted to his car (other than a rear view) that was literally just there to make sure I watched mirrors and anytime I did a glance to one and he missed it, I never argued (much) - occasionally I'd exclaim "I genuinely did look!" and he'll believe me because I was honest when I didn't; but at the end of the day the point is if he couldn't see it - then neither would an examiner.

The fault was most likely for not looking properly when your car started to swing outwards. Obviously none of us were there, a terrible examiner is a possibility; but they tend not to last very long after they collapse under the weight of complaints and eventually end up with a surprise audit from a driver masquerading as a learner doing a test. You can try and ask the test centre not to give you the same examiner next time - if the availability is there they may do this for you; his name should be on your report. Are you sure it was scenery he was checking? Or was he observing a change of direction - it's likely he could have been looking out for cyclists as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevershear)
    Never argue with the examiner first and foremost; take it on the chin, listen to their feedback. If he says you didn't then either you didn't, or you didn't do it well enough; you have to slightly exaggerate your movements, my instructor had a second mirror fitted to his car (other than a rear view) that was literally just there to make sure I watched mirrors and anytime I did a glance to one and he missed it, I never argued (much) - occasionally I'd exclaim "I genuinely did look!" and he'll believe me because I was honest when I didn't; but at the end of the day the point is if he couldn't see it - then neither would an examiner.

The fault was most likely for not looking properly when your car started to swing outwards. Obviously none of us were there, a terrible examiner is a possibility; but they tend not to last very long after they collapse under the weight of complaints and eventually end up with a surprise audit from a driver masquerading as a learner doing a test. You can try and ask the test centre not to give you the same examiner next time - if the availability is there they may do this for you; his name should be on your report. Are you sure it was scenery he was checking? Or was he observing a change of direction - it's likely he could have been looking out for cyclists as well.
    I am 100% sure he was looking at the scenary, I kept an eye on him the whole time and noticed when he wasn't paying attention. I knew when I should've got a minor or two, he didn't notice because once again he wasn't paying attention, and referring to the front-end swinging out, obviously you weren't there and you might not take my word for it because you have doubts which I understand, but I know I did the manoeuvre correctly. But next time I will make it so much more obvious, thank you for the advice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.