The Student Room Group

A level help!

So basically I need help choosing my a level choices. I want to do law as a degree at uni. I've decided on English Lit and Government and Politics but I don't know whether to do Geography or Economics as my third option. I think I would enjoy economics more but do universities value geography more? I also thought as I want to become a commercial lawyer economics would come in handy? Also which one is harder?
Many thanks.
Original post by melodyzavi
So basically I need help choosing my a level choices. I want to do law as a degree at uni. I've decided on English Lit and Government and Politics but I don't know whether to do Geography or Economics as my third option. I think I would enjoy economics more but do universities value geography more? I also thought as I want to become a commercial lawyer economics would come in handy? Also which one is harder?
Many thanks.

Neither is particularly more respected, though in your commercial law path you may find Economics helps more than Geography (which is relatively unrelated to Law at all). However Economics as far as I know is more math-heavy, so that's something you need to be aware of.

As for difficulty I've heard more people complain about Economics than Geography, but they're A Level students so they're going to complain anyway :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by CastCuraga
Neither is particularly more respected, though in your commercial law path you may find Economics helps more than Geography (which is relatively unrelated to Law at all). However Economics as far as I know is more math-heavy, so that's something you need to be aware of.

As for difficulty I've heard more people complain about Economics than Geography, but they're A Level students so they're going to complain anyway :tongue:

Thank you so much c:
Reply 3
English Language, Politics and Economics (Maths as a 4th if you're any good at it [7+ at GCSE] or Physics/Chemistry if you prefer them. If neither, then opt for Geography)
Reply 4
Original post by AmmarTa
English Language, Politics and Economics (Maths as a 4th if you're any good at it [7+ at GCSE] or Physics/Chemistry if you prefer them. If neither, then opt for Geography)

Thank youu!
Reply 5
Thank youu!

What uni(s) do you plan to apply to? That should also influence your choices.
Unless it's Oxbridge I honestly wouldn't recommend doing a 4th. You already have 3 pretty busy subjects and almost no university honestly offers a practical benefit for doing so.
Reply 7
Original post by AmmarTa
What uni(s) do you plan to apply to? That should also influence your choices.

I haven't chosen specifically but I would like to go a Russell Group uni
Reply 8
Original post by CastCuraga
Unless it's Oxbridge I honestly wouldn't recommend doing a 4th. You already have 3 pretty busy subjects and almost no university honestly offers a practical benefit for doing so.

Yeah I don't think I could handle 4 subjects tbh 😂
Reply 9
I haven't chosen specifically but I would like to go a Russell Group uni

Have a look at a couple e.g. LSE, UCL, KCL, St. Andrews (even though it's not RG it's well-known/respected), Durham, Warwick, Bristol, Birmingham, Bath (again, even though it's not RG it's well-known/respected) and Manchester.
The only one I can outright say isn't worth your time is Cardiff.

The Law library is constantly full or under renovations, the building is far too small for how many students it actually contains, and I've heard complaints that no required reading can ever be found. Friend of mine also complained there's so many Malaysians in the course that stick together he's found it impossible to make friends. I can't really comment on that, I'm way over on the other campus.
Many thanks.

English Literature, Gov & Pol, And Economics or Geography is a brilliant combination.

It depends on the student. Personally, I’d rather do economics 100x over than geography, despite getting an A at Geography GCSE. But I have a friend that takes both, got B’s in both at AS, and said that they prefer Geog. But the B in economics was easier.

Neither will put you at a stronger advantage,
So take whichever you’re comfortable with and think you’d enjoy / get a better grade in.

I’m in Year 13 doing Eng Lit (and History/Psychology/Drama) so feel free to pm me if I can help in any way. x
Thank you so much for the advice I really appreciate it! xx
I can't help you much but I think these are great choices! English Literature is amazing at A-level, it's so interesting! I was reading a few articles when I was adament I wanted to be a lawyer and their favourite A-level is drama, I believe, as law is performance-based. Maybe look at that :smile: there are statistics to prove this. Just thought I'd let you know incase you didn't already.

Quick Reply

Latest