The Student Room Group

Can anyone become the next Einstein?

Do you believe that anyone is capable of being the next greatest thinker of our generation (providing they put all their efforts into doing so)?

Follow up questions:
Do you think that some of us have certain talents while others do not?

If everyone put all their efforts into studying would they all achieve the top grade? Or does it depend on more than the individual?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, talent is a factor. It's partially based on environment and partially based on genetics, although environment can play a bigger factor than genetics; genetics usually ends up playing a bigger factor.
Reply 2
Original post by AmmarTa
Yes, talent is a factor. It's partially based on environment and partially based on genetics, although environment can play a bigger factor than genetics; genetics usually ends up playing a bigger factor.

So the following statement surely follows?

'no not anyone can be X because it depends on things preset for them (such as genetics and the environment)'
A more interesting and perhaps telling question would be - by what metric do you assign Albert Einstein "the greatest thinker" thus far, and why have you determined none of our "thinkers" equal or surpass him? How do you even quantify such things?

It's well documented that he was considered unexceptional by his teachers and worked as a patent clerk for a number of years before the "Annus Mirabilis". It's entirely possible said "great thinker" is being abused by a baby-boomer trying to scam a free meal somewhere right now.

Unfortunately the structure of modern "society" and education is such that they're far less likely to be able to achieve the same breakthroughs, with the fact that real minimum wage has gone down considerably since that era while cost of living has in fact increased. Workers are expected to spend more time doing more things for less money - even if it doesn't benefit the employer. The very structure of contemporary western capitalist society is anathematic to such "success stories".
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
A more interesting and perhaps telling question would be - by what metric do you assign Albert Einstein "the greatest thinker" thus far, and why have you determined none of our "thinkers" equal or surpass him? How do you even quantify such things?

It's well documented that he was considered unexceptional by his teachers and worked as a patent clerk for a number of years before the "Annus Mirabilis". It's entirely possible said "great thinker" is being abused by a baby-boomer trying to scam a free meal somewhere right now.

Unfortunately the structure of modern "society" and education is such that they're far less likely to be able to achieve the same breakthroughs, with the fact that real minimum wage has gone down considerably since that era while cost of living has in fact increased. Workers are expected to spend more time doing more things for less money - even if it doesn't benefit the employer. The very structure of contemporary western capitalist society is anathematic to such "success stories".

I used Einstein as a popular example of someone widely considered to be the greatest thinker of his generation. Though I made no claim that he is the greatest thinker 'thus far'. There were of course many others similar to him in the past.

So in answer to my question, you seem to suggest that sociopolitical factors are important in deciding whether or not someone can become X or not.

What do you have to say in response to the follow up questions?
No, most people do not have the intellectual capacity of Einstein. By all means, they might try extremely hard and perform extremely well relative to their ability and background, but are unlikely to make similar breakthroughs. A living example of what I'd consider to be "genius" would be Terence Tao. As much as I may try to get even minutely close to his ability, it's just never going to happen, but I can still try to stretch my ability as far as I possibly can.
Reply 6
Original post by _gcx
A living example of what I'd consider to be "genius" would be Terence Tao. As much as I may try to get even minutely close to his ability, it's just never going to happen, but I can still try to stretch my ability as far as I possibly can.

How can you be certain of that?

Also what do you think regarding my last questions: If everyone put all their efforts into studying would they all achieve the top grade? Or does it depend on more than the individual?
Original post by xylas
How can you be certain of that?

Also what do you think regarding my last questions: If everyone put all their efforts into studying would they all achieve the top grade? Or does it depend on more than the individual?

Tao competed in the international maths olympiad at the age of 10, (usual contestants are 16-18) and graduated from university when he was 16. Everyone has their limits, and that is obviously far beyond mine. That isn't to say that I can't get, what I'd consider to be, "good".

No. Case in point: people put all their efforts into studying and achieve Ds/Es.
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
Tao competed in the international maths olympiad at the age of 10, (usual contestants are 16-18) and graduated from university when he was 16. Everyone has their limits, and that is obviously far beyond mine. That isn't to say that I can't get, what I'd consider to be, "good".

No. Case in point: people put all their efforts into studying and achieve Ds/Es.

Yes but those achievements don't make him the next greatest X of our time. I still see no evidence why you aren't just as capable of becoming X as him. Einstein didn't have all of those achievements, they seem to be irrelevant on this issue.

How do you know these people put all their effort? Were you in the same class as them, did you see them fully engaging and completing all the work? Did you see them always acting on teacher feedback and consistently improving in the subject?
Original post by xylas
Do you believe that anyone is capable of being the next greatest thinker of our generation (providing they put all their efforts into doing so)?

Follow up questions:

If everyone put all their efforts into studying would they all achieve the top grade? Or does it depend on more than the individual?

Einstein was probably very clever but the idea of him being the "greatest thinker" of the 20th Century speaks to the bias towards Western scientific thought.

If we move away from Physics, one can argue that there were other great thinkers of different fields and backgrounds such as John Nash (Economics - American), Chinua Achebe (Literature - Igbo), John Maynard Keynes (Economic theory - British), Chike Obi (Mathematics - Igbo), Alan Turing (Computing - British), Rachel Carson (Nature & conservation - American).

My point is that there is an overwhelming focus on Western schools of thought with a bias to leaders within Western cultures focused on scientific research or STEM related programmes.
Reply 10
Original post by Wired_1800
Einstein was probably very clever but the idea of him being the "greatest thinker" of the 20th Century speaks to the bias towards Western scientific thought.

If we move away from Physics, one can argue that there were other great thinkers of different fields and backgrounds such as John Nash (Economics - American), Chinua Achebe (Literature - Igbo), John Maynard Keynes (Economic theory - British), Chike Obi (Mathematics - Igbo), Alan Turing (Computing - British), Rachel Carson (Nature & conservation - American).

My point is that there is an overwhelming focus on Western schools of thought with a bias to leaders within Western cultures focused on scientific research or STEM related programmes.

Yeah sure but Einstein is more well known hence why I named him in the title.

Do you have anything to say in response to my questions?
Original post by xylas
Yeah sure but Einstein is more well known hence why I named him in the title.

Do you have anything to say in response to my questions?

Yes, i do.

I think there are people capable of being the next great thinker of our generation. For the 21st Century, we have likes of Paul Krugman and Stephen Hawking.

For the Millenial generation, i think it is too soon to tell. The oldest millenial age is probably about 32, if you take the millenial age range to be from 1985 to present.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Yes, i do.

I think there are people capable of being the next great thinker of our generation. For the 21st Century, we have likes of Paul Krugman and Stephen Hawking.

Do you believe that anyone (i.e. you or me) is capable of being the next greatest thinker of our generation (providing they put all their efforts into doing so)?

Follow up questions:

Original post by xylas
Do you believe that anyone (i.e. you or me) is capable of being the next greatest thinker of our generation (providing they put all their efforts into doing so)?

Follow up questions:

Yes, i believe that anyone is capable of being the next great thinker of our generation, provided they put in the effort.

I do believe that we all have innate talents that we can excel in certain aspects. For example, Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg may probably not be as good as Jamie Oliver, Michael Jordan or Louis Hamilton, if they attempted their careers.

I sincerely believe that if people put in the effort in studying they can achieve a top grade, but there has to be a real interest in the subject.
Original post by xylas
So the following statement surely follows?

'no not anyone can be X because it depends on things preset for them (such as genetics and the environment)'

Yes, I don't refute that. Someone living in India in the slums all their life it extremely unlikely to become a lucrative businessman or an extraordinary scholar. If they were to be given the chance to study somewhere that's a change in environment so it's an irrelevant argument.
Reply 15
Original post by xylas

Follow up questions:

Do you mean people born after 2001? It's too soon to say that.

I do believe some people are born with special talents and to do big achievements in their life. Otherwsive everybody will be a genius.
Reply 16
Yes, i believe that anyone is capable of being the next great thinker of our generation, provided they put in the effort.

I do believe that we all have innate talents that we can excel in certain aspects. For example, Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg may probably not be as good as Jamie Oliver, Michael Jordan or Louis Hamilton, if they attempted their careers.

I sincerely believe that if people put in the effort in studying they can achieve a top grade, but there has to be a real interest in the subject.

Thanks. I want to ask what do you mean by 'real interest'. Is this something out of your control (you either have it or you don't) or can anyone develop a real interest by working hard enough?

Original post by AmmarTa
Yes, I don't refute that. Someone living in India in the slums all their life it extremely unlikely to become a lucrative businessman or an extraordinary scholar. If they were to be given the chance to study somewhere that's a change in environment so it's an irrelevant argument.

Ok thanks. What about my follow up questions:

Original post by Heyok
Do you mean people born after 2001? It's too soon to say that.

I do believe some people are born with special talents and to do big achievements in their life. Otherwsive everybody will be a genius.

No I would say our generation applies to anyone who is active in their work around the time we are alive. I was born in the 90s so would personally include anyone who was active then as well as up to the present. Also what's wrong with everybody being a genius?

Please answer my follow up questions:

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by xylas
Thanks. I want to ask what do you mean by 'real interest'. Is this something out of your control (you either have it or you don't) or can?

I think real interest in the subject rather than just doing it because you are forced to do it.

I think there may be a big difference between studying math because they genuinely like it or doing it because you need to pass it.
Of course not.
Natural ability plays at least some role. I'm never going to become an amazing mathematician considering I literally cannot understand the number seven. I could still do well at other things though and so can anyone.
Einstein wasn't just amazing because of how smart he was, but how he changed the world. Anybody has the potential to change the world, even if they're dumb as a post. In fact, people change eachother's worlds every day without even knowing it.

I think anybody can achieve something if they put effort in and have passion, but what they achieve depends on heir nature, natural abilities, etc. And sometimes, the little things mean a lot more than you might think.

Quick Reply

Latest