The Student Room Group

English gcse (urgent)

In general, when we explain the effects on reader, do we must/have to use the starting sentence: 'This shows the reader' or 'this gives the reader an idea' or any sentence that start with 'this give/shows/presents ..reader'?

And can you give me an example of others if this is not the case?

Thank you So much! I am stuck on this for a long time :P
no you dont. i use this implies... or this suggests...
Bump
Instead of 'the reader' you could use 'us': "This emphasises to us the great love he must have felt", "The verb 'danced' tells us how pleased she was with the news".
For AQA the mark scheme for the reading questions doesn't refer to the fluency of the answer. At the top end you need to include appropriate terminology, but you won't be penalised for repeating 'this shows the reader'.
Reply 4
Evaluation - which I believe you are talking about - is about you. You are the reader - not some third party. Through evaluation you are demonstrating your engagement with the text. You are making clear to the examininer not only that you have read the text but the text has affected you in some way.

I prefer to begin with "I." So to take one of your examples I would express it this way. " I felt that X qoute showed W. I feel the use of Y word was a good way for the writer to express this idea and I feel the idea suggested to me Z."

Quick Reply

Latest