AsterixtheGaul
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello everyone,

I am currently in dire straits planning my English literature dissertation, so I was hoping someone might help me to throw a few ideas around.

I know that I want to centre it around the literature of the 1890s, which I discussed with my advisor, but I have no idea how to narrow it down.

Not looking for anyone to come up with a title for me - just a few ideas!

Any input greatly appreciated.
Ellipses
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AsterixtheGaul)
Hello everyone,

I am currently in dire straits planning my English literature dissertation, so I was hoping someone might help me to throw a few ideas around.

I know that I want to centre it around the literature of the 1890s, which I discussed with my advisor, but I have no idea how to narrow it down.

Not looking for anyone to come up with a title for me - just a few ideas!

Any input greatly appreciated.
I know this pain...

Are there any novels/plays/poems of the period that you're particularly interested in...from which you could draw out an area for exploration?
Lit teacher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This was a great time period for psychology and philosophy, as well as gothic literature. How about linking 'Jekyll and Hyde' (1886), 'Dracula' or 'A Picture of Dorian Gray?' For more of a challenge 'Jude the Obscure' also fits into your time frame. The last two caused outrage at the time. Dorian Gray, it was said, " will taint every young mind that comes in contact with it", while Hardy's novel was called 'Jude the Obscene'.
AsterixtheGaul
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks for the responses guys.

Funnily enough, I had considered doing something on Dracula and Dorian Gray. I'm not rally sure what exactly though.

I was also interested in the idea of exploring different authors and how they responded to artistic/commercial/didactic challenges. Which could include Wilde, Stoker and perhaps Wells.

One major problem for me is that I am doing a literature MA, but my BA was in a different subject!

Again, any thoughts or input are hugely appreciated.
Lit teacher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's an interesting period. On 30th August 1889 Wilde and Conan Doyle met at a dinner party held by the publisher of Lippincott's magazine who wanted to commission some new material. As a result Conan Doyle wrote The Sign of Four, while a few months later Wilde produced Dorian Gray. Wilde and Bram Stoker already knew each other, but temporarily fell out when Stoker married Florence Balcombe, whom Wilde had previously courted. This was also the time that Freud was publishing some of his important works. It seems to have been a reaction against the Victorian age. Writers wanted to challenge traditional ideas and push social boundaries. The Time Machine was also shocking in its time, with the revelation that the wealthy classes would eventually end up as helpless fodder for the dark, troglodyte workers. It was a time of new ideas. Ironically the more relaxed and 'modern' Edwardian era seems to have not produced a similar response.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (453)
14.79%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (427)
13.95%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (145)
4.74%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (186)
6.07%
Loneliness (263)
8.59%
Financial worries (111)
3.63%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.45%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.79%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.37%

Watched Threads