The Student Room Group

why does getting into uni have to be so complicated?

like why. I hated gcse Physics, most of As and A2 isnt much better I didnt like maths until year 10 but I am still willing to pay 9 grand at Uni to learn Physics. My parents ddidnt want me to Physics I argued with them. Is that not a good enough reason to do Physics at uni. ive done work experience done a personal statement and stuff AND THEY STILL WANT TO INTERVIEW ME. I literally can't talk to people to save my life ughhh

i dont hate physics as a subject but i hate the lessons and what i meant was if alevels which make me hate physics havent put me off of physics isn't that a good enough reason. as in I love it so much that sh1t curriculum, teachers hasn't made a difference so doesn't that prove it to you.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

wait why are u doing physics at uni if u dont like it at gcse/AS and A2
That's the way of the world I'm afraid. There's competition from all corners. I know exactly how you feel... with work experience, extra curricular, volunteering, interviews and external tests, getting into uni seems to be harder than most degrees themselves(!)
Reply 3
Uni interviews are pretty standard, that's just life.
Original post by student004
like why. I hated gcse Physics, most of As and A2 isnt much better I didnt like maths until year 10 but I am still willing to pay 9 grand at Uni to learn Physics. My parents ddidnt want me to Physics I argued with them. Is that not a good enough reason to do Physics at uni. ive done work experience done a personal statement and **** AND THEY STILL WANT TO INTERVIEW ME. I literally can't talk to people to save my life ughhh

Threaten to keep your 9 grand then walk out of the interview 😂😂😂
Reply 5
I think that if the course/job is what you really want to do then the amount of effort it takes to get onto the course is worth it.
like why. I hated gcse Physics, most of As and A2 isnt much better I didnt like maths until year 10 but I am still willing to pay 9 grand at Uni to learn Physics. My parents ddidnt want me to Physics I argued with them. Is that not a good enough reason to do Physics at uni. ive done work experience done a personal statement and **** AND THEY STILL WANT TO INTERVIEW ME. I literally can't talk to people to save my life ughhh

Some courses don't require an interview.
Reply 7
Is that not a good enough reason to do Physics at uni.

What's the reason again? Being willing to pay uni fees? You don't seem to particularly enjoy physics. It's not a great idea to do a degree in a subject that you don't even like that much...
UK has a really relaxed system compared to most countries, the US is an absolute nightmare. Count yourself lucky.
Reply 9
Original post by UWS
Uni interviews are pretty standard, that's just life.

reallllyyy? i had no idea !1!!!11
Original post by GovernmentEarner
UK has a really relaxed system compared to most countries, the US is an absolute nightmare. Count yourself lucky.

ive got friends in america and i was talking to them and it is wayy easier to get into uni there
Original post by Sint
What's the reason again? Being willing to pay uni fees? You don't seem to particularly enjoy physics. It's not a great idea to do a degree in a subject that you don't even like that much...

i dont think you read what i said right but thank you for your advice but im good :biggrin:
Original post by Asterac
I think that if the course/job is what you really want to do then the amount of effort it takes to get onto the course is worth it.

yeah i guess whatever
Original post by Want_To_Achieve
Some courses don't require an interview.

true but for me 3/5 choices want to do interviews
lmao same, ducking hate physics, and I'm applying to do physics at Uni. Well to be fair, it's the one subject I hate the least out of my A levels but still.
true but for me 3/5 choices want to do interviews

Good luck though in the long run.
Original post by btsseokjin
lmao same, ducking hate physics, and I'm applying to do physics at Uni. Well to be fair, it's the one subject I hate the least out of my A levels but still.

i dont hate physics as a subject but i hate the lessons and what i meant was if alevels which make me hate my subject havent put me off isn't that a good enough reason
Original post by Ray_Shadows
wait why are u doing physics at uni if u dont like it at gcse/AS and A2

i dont hate physics as a subject but i hate the lessons and what i meant was if alevels which make me hate physics havent put me off of physics isn't that a good enough reason. as in I love it so much that **** curriculum, teachers hasn't made a difference
Original post by Vanilla Twilight
That's the way of the world I'm afraid. There's competition from all corners. I know exactly how you feel... with work experience, extra curricular, volunteering, interviews and external tests, getting into uni seems to be harder than most degrees themselves(!)

someone acc understands me thank youu. its just I love Physics but I didn't want to sign to all this extra stuff .
ive got friends in america and i was talking to them and it is wayy easier to get into uni there

Haha what. I'm a graduate from the UK currently working at a US university. For an undergraduate application they have to submit their high school GPA (equivalent to A-levels), sit the SAT test (a standardized aptitude test), in many cases sit the ACT test (another standardized aptitude test), and in many cases sit several different AP tests (advanced subject tests). It not only costs a fortune to take these tests (because most people resit them at least once), but it's an awful lot to do just for an application. And then there's the emphasis on extracurricular activities in university applications. In the UK for most degrees there are no additional tests beyond A-levels/IB. Some places will have an admissions test, and some have an interview system, but on the whole it's much more straightforward.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest