The Student Room Group

should i have been revising for my GCSEs since september?

have i left it too late?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No you havent
No, you don't want to burn out too early and you will not remember what you have revised in September when it comes to May. Do not worry!
No, it's not too late at all. I recommend starting to study in January during (or slightly after) the Christmas holidays, so that you're revising for both the mock exams and the final exams at the same time.
hell no lmao
I started making my revision notes in September but didn't actually start looking over them/revising until January/Febuary
omg yes it is.
I've been revising since the summer holidays.
Reply 7
I think now is the time to start a gentle revision session (1 subject a day) & after Christmas or February Half-Ter gradually increase the amount of work you do in time for exams
I started revising the month before exams if you don't count revision classes at school.
The short answer is no. You don't want to start heavily revising until after your mocks otherwise you'll burn yourself out, and that's worse than no revision at all. From now on, make sure you understand everything you do in class, and perhaps start rewriting notes and testing yourself. Don't worry, you haven't left it too late and I'm sure you'll do great. :smile:
It depends for some people yes, for some people no.
Slow-revisers like should have began then, but hey im a lazy **** and still havent revised for my upcoming mocks in 3 weeks. EEEEEEKKKKK!

My cousin however began revising at April, which everyone said was very late, but he came out with 5 A* 4A's and 2B's which is crazy considering he's quite lazy and often came to my house to chill, play ping pong, bash out UFC 2 or play footy almost every day.

However I have a friend who has been revising SINCE YEAR 10 I kid you not. Every day she makes nots, LAMINATES them, creates mind maps etc. but no doubt has she improved significantly-she's in the lower sets, however atm her current grades are good enough to beat some of the more intelligent ones in our sets.

I would say start after/during Christmas. Preferably start now.
Reply 11
It's not so much when you start but how efficiently you've been revising.
nah unless u have mocks (don't do what I've done for mocks revising the night before oops) just make some flash cards now and then, the odd mindmap start trying to build it up in February for Easter hols good luck x
Original post by Mohamedjama
omg yes it is.
I've been revising since the summer holidays.

Wow that's so late, I was revising since the nursery. And even that was too late according to my parents.
Original post by lanababe78
have i left it too late?

I started in mid-feb so chill :wink:
Most people don't start until March-April so you're fine
Original post by Appleorpear
Wow that's so late, I was revising since the nursery. And even that was too late according to my parents.

Pathetic. I started revising when I was just a sperm cell and even that was too late.
Original post by Sam.T.
I think now is the time to start a gentle revision session (1 subject a day) & after Christmas or February Half-Ter gradually increase the amount of work you do in time for exams

thank you so much for the reply! just one question, sorry: what should i be doing at the moment? should i be making my notes/flashcards? or should i have completed my notes a while ago? i haven't made many notes for any of my subjects, and that is what worries me the most- i wonder if i should have already completed them. thank you, again, for the reply x
Original post by yaktastic
nah unless u have mocks (don't do what I've done for mocks revising the night before oops) just make some flash cards now and then, the odd mindmap start trying to build it up in February for Easter hols good luck x

thank you so much for the reply! good luck to you, too x
Original post by mc_miah
It depends for some people yes, for some people no.
Slow-revisers like should have began then, but hey im a lazy **** and still havent revised for my upcoming mocks in 3 weeks. EEEEEEKKKKK!

My cousin however began revising at April, which everyone said was very late, but he came out with 5 A* 4A's and 2B's which is crazy considering he's quite lazy and often came to my house to chill, play ping pong, bash out UFC 2 or play footy almost every day.

However I have a friend who has been revising SINCE YEAR 10 I kid you not. Every day she makes nots, LAMINATES them, creates mind maps etc. but no doubt has she improved significantly-she's in the lower sets, however atm her current grades are good enough to beat some of the more intelligent ones in our sets.

I would say start after/during Christmas. Preferably start now.

thank you so much for the reply! x

Quick Reply