The Student Room Group

Ionisation Energy

State the trend in first ionisation energies in group 2 form beryllium to barium, explain your answer in terms of a suitable model of atomic structure

I was slightly confused on what they meant by a suitable model of atomic structure
I believe when it refers to suitable model of atomic structure you need to mention the particles so for example the number of protons,electrons and how this affects ionization energies.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
I think it is suggesting that you use the Bohr model of an atom, i.e. e- in shells (ignoring the complication due to orbitals).
The first ionisation energy decreases down the group, as the size of the atom increases, therefore there is a greater distance from the positive nucleus to the outer electron, and there is an increase in the degree of sheilding from the inner electron shells.
I'm guessing by 'suitable model of atomic structure' they mean how does the atom change, like size, or number of sub atomic particles?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by RPatel365
The first ionisation energy increases down the group

Ooops.
Original post by Pigster
Ooops.

Oops meant decreases* :P
Original post by okelydokely
State the trend in first ionisation energies in group 2 form beryllium to barium, explain your answer in terms of a suitable model of atomic structure

I was slightly confused on what they meant by a suitable model of atomic structure

I guess this means the number of particles in nucleus and the electrons on electron shells. Those are the factors which influence the ionisation energy.
Reply 7
thank you all!

Quick Reply

Latest