Ionisation Energy Watch

okelydokely
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
State the trend in first ionisation energies in group 2 form beryllium to barium, explain your answer in terms of a suitable model of atomic structure

I was slightly confused on what they meant by a suitable model of atomic structure
mansnothot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I believe when it refers to suitable model of atomic structure you need to mention the particles so for example the number of protons,electrons and how this affects ionization energies.
Pigster
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it is suggesting that you use the Bohr model of an atom, i.e. e- in shells (ignoring the complication due to orbitals).
RPatel365
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The first ionisation energy decreases down the group, as the size of the atom increases, therefore there is a greater distance from the positive nucleus to the outer electron, and there is an increase in the degree of sheilding from the inner electron shells.
I'm guessing by 'suitable model of atomic structure' they mean how does the atom change, like size, or number of sub atomic particles?
Pigster
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RPatel365)
The first ionisation energy increases down the group
Ooops.
RPatel365
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pigster)
Ooops.
Oops meant decreases* :P
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by okelydokely)
State the trend in first ionisation energies in group 2 form beryllium to barium, explain your answer in terms of a suitable model of atomic structure

I was slightly confused on what they meant by a suitable model of atomic structure
I guess this means the number of particles in nucleus and the electrons on electron shells. Those are the factors which influence the ionisation energy.
okelydokely
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
thank you all!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (59)
15.21%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (38)
9.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (74)
19.07%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (58)
14.95%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (43)
11.08%
How can I be the best version of myself? (116)
29.9%

Watched Threads