The Student Room Group

Study childrens nursing as a mature student

I really want to study childrens nursing but it just seems impossible financially. I'm over 35 and have two children and with the NHS not finding the course i don't know how I could make my dream a reality. I currently work part time and so does my husband. I don't want to get a student loan. Not sure what to do as it doesn't seem to be achievable. Any advice greatly appreciated. 🙁
Original post by Ch3ry1
I really want to study childrens nursing but it just seems impossible financially. I'm over 35 and have two children and with the NHS not finding the course i don't know how I could make my dream a reality. I currently work part time and so does my husband. I don't want to get a student loan. Not sure what to do as it doesn't seem to be achievable. Any advice greatly appreciated. 🙁

Hi, I am a mature first year adult nursing student (first year to have the student loan system). I don't have children myself but others on my course do.
Firstly, the student loan covers the university fees for the degree, so unless you were going to self-fund, you would need to have one. There is also a maintenance loan that you can get to help with the extra costs of the course, the amount depends on your household income I think. You only start paying your student loan back when you start earning over around £21,000 a year and this small amount would come straight out of your payslip. So if you never earned over that amount after qualifying, you would never pay any back.
Many student nurses & midwives have bank (0 hour) positions to help earn some money through their studies. There are also grants or bursaries available to some students that you may be eligible for.
I hope this helps a bit.

Quick Reply