The Student Room Group

How to write a convining PEEL ( English literature)

Hi.
I want to help make my response to exam questions better, however I struggle writing a good P.E.E paragraph. Its a structured paragraph used in responses, It stands for Point, Evidence and Explanation, you might also recognize P.E.A or P.E.E.L

I want to know how to make my responses strong and interesting, also I don't have a broad vocab when it comes to synnonyms of the words symbolise, reveals, shows, so how could I learn to make my P.E.E answers detailed when writing about comparing poems or writing about a text
Original post by ScienceKing121
Hi.
I want to help make my response to exam questions better, however I struggle writing a good P.E.E paragraph. Its a structured paragraph used in responses, It stands for Point, Evidence and Explanation, you might also recognize P.E.A or P.E.E.L

I want to know how to make my responses strong and interesting, also I don't have a broad vocab when it comes to synnonyms of the words symbolise, reveals, shows, so how could I learn to make my P.E.E answers detailed when writing about comparing poems or writing about a text

What you need to know is in here. There are videos on his youtube channel.

http://mrbruff.com/product/mr-bruffs-guide-to-gcse-literature/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWj5wGXbM9w&list=PLqGFsWf-P-cAYhYd5VdGjJvf7zLDCq3uN
Original post by ScienceKing121
Hi.

If you want anything above a 6 you should be using PEEDAE.
Use PEEZE
Point
Evidence
Explain
Zoom on a specific literary device
Expand your point
Or PETER
Point
Evidence
Technique
Effect
Respond
Or use SQuIID paragraphs, point ,evidence ,1st inference (overall what you can infer from the quote) 2nd inference (what individual words mean or connotations) development (like the explanation and link in PEEL)
Hi!

I got a 9 in English Literature.

PEEL is a good foundation step, but ultimately will not help you shoot into the wider reaches of 7 and beyond, as the exam board are looking for more exploration of the text in your response.

What I'd suggest is something like:
1) Introductory Point
2) Give one direct example of where this is, select judiciously from your text
3) Zoom into a specific word or phrase in this quote, i.e 'where in this quote is the actual point I've made actually happening?'
4) Give alternative interpretations.
5) Potentially choose a couple more examples and do the same thing, but only pertaining to this specific point.
6) Zoom out of your text slightly, dependant on question, they may want you to relate it to development through the text as a whole, compare this to previous key points in the text, what's changed? why do you think it's changed?

7) Zoom out even further, again subjective based on question, perhaps, what were the author's intentions here, why did he include this in the way that it is, perhaps it is something to do with the context of the author? the time or the place it's set or where he/she was? perhaps religious/cultural norms of society at the time? Perhaps a trend that fits the genre of the text?

That and some calculated rambling banked my grades.

Quick Reply

Latest