The Student Room Group

One phobia you want to overcome the most...

In my case, it would be arachnophobia....I am alright if they are like babies or small but anything over that.....NOPE NOPE NOPE IMA OUTTA HERE...so, les see how many people dealing with the same shiz as me

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can't deal with needles. :redface:
I...still sleep with a night light 😶
Reply 3
The only thing that really freaks me out is probably spiders. And cheap lager (eugh), but mostly spiders.
Reply 4
Original post by Pathway
I can't deal with needles. :redface:

Is that like syringes? or just needles in general?
Reply 5
Original post by Salt Queen
I...still sleep with a night light 😶

afraid of the dark or sumfin else?
Heights so I can enjoy the funfair, skydiving and climbing.. but it won't ever change . No way to overcome it
Original post by JDieMstr
afraid of the dark or sumfin else?

Lol fear of the unknown kinda thing. Sometimes I'm able to sleep in pitch black with curtains shut and doors shut but most times I need light...sometimes... I leave the telly on.
Reply 8
Is that like syringes? or just needles in general?

I can deal with like injections to a degree (like jabs in school), but even then I have anxiety attacks haha. Cannulas are my arch nemesis because they never stay in my hand and just screw with my head (it's like the thought of something being in my vein just freaks me out). My veins are all ****ed up from a genetic condition so the people who try and get blood from me or put cannulas in just consistently mess up. :redface: They make me have panic attacks and I've actually refused IVs when really ill and stuff because of it. I also can't look at needles either.

I think I know why I have this phobia though (will spare you the details), so gonna work on getting rid of my fear/phobia relating to it soon - kinda need to because of my health. :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by FloralLuxe
Heights so I can enjoy the funfair, skydiving and climbing.. but it won't ever change . No way to overcome it

I used to be iffy with heights but then I got a job that partly involved working at height (sometimes up to 300 feet up) and it just got better. I still won't teeter on the edge of a cliff but I'm a million times better than I was. I think exposure works, really.
Reply 10
Lol fear of the unknown kinda thing. Sometimes I'm able to sleep in pitch black with curtains shut and doors shut but most times I need light...sometimes... I leave the telly on.

Ah, I getchu now. I think I had a similar fear when I was younger coz I used to overthink back then....now....I just don't care xD Still I can't seem to use this when I encounter a medium to large sized spider, fakkers are x10 horrifying in real life than on vids or tv and even then they give me goosebumps...
Social phobia.
Reply 12
Original post by Pathway
I can deal with like injections to a degree (like jabs in school), but even then I have anxiety attacks haha. Cannulas are my arch nemesis because they never stay in my hand and just screw with my head (it's like the thought of something being in my vein just freaks me out). My veins are all ****ed up from a genetic condition so the people who try and get blood from me or put cannulas in just consistently mess up. :redface: They make me have panic attacks and I've actually refused IVs when really ill and stuff because of it. I also can't look at needles either.

I think I know why I have this phobia though (will spare you the details), so gonna work on getting rid of my fear/phobia relating to it soon - kinda need to because of my health. :tongue:

Best of luck man, this is one phobia I still have today (but nothing compared to arachnophobia). I used to cry my face off when I saw syringes, even when I was like 11 years old. Only when I turned 13-14, I was able to suppress my emotions.
Original post by gjd800
I used to be iffy with heights but then I got a job that partly involved working at height (sometimes up to 300 feet up) and it just got better. I still won't teeter on the edge of a cliff but I'm a million times better than I was. I think exposure works, really.

Glad it worked for you but it wouldn't work tor me. My heart skips a beat when there's a high building so imagine that
Ah, I getchu now. I think I had a similar fear when I was younger coz I used to overthink back then....now....I just don't care xD Still I can't seem to use this when I encounter a medium to large sized spider, fakkers are x10 horrifying in real life than on vids or tv and even then they give me goosebumps...

Something could grab me in the night. Unresolved child fear lol I don't feel creeped when I see spiders but the fear of them spreading venom or sudden defensive movements or crawling in my ear terrify me :afraid:
Reply 15
Something could grab me in the night. Unresolved child fear lol I don't feel creeped when I see spiders but the fear of them spreading venom or sudden defensive movements or crawling in my ear terrify me :afraid:

Their very being petrifies my soul.
Failure. Sometimes I don't try things because I just hate that feeling when you fail at something. Suppose in a way it's good, cause I make sure I'm thoroughly prepared for whatever it is I'm attempting to succeed at and usually succeed one way or another, but I just try and avoid the feelings of disappointment and depression that come on immediately after failure. If I wasn't afraid of failing I could probably actually succeed even more, and failing in the past has ultimately never had a lasting negative effect on my life.
Their very being petrifies my soul.

:teehee: Here's a heart 💖
Reply 18
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Failure. Sometimes I don't try things because I just hate that feeling when you fail at something. Suppose in a way it's good, cause I make sure I'm thoroughly prepared for whatever it is I'm attempting to succeed at and usually succeed one way or another, but I just try and avoid the feelings of disappointment and depression that come on immediately after failure. If I wasn't afraid of failing I could probably actually succeed even more, and failing in the past has ultimately never had a lasting negative effect on my life.

Welp, what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger?
Welp, what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger?

Like non-fatal but crippling car accidents :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest