The Student Room Group

Media or Business??

Hey I'm an a level student currently studying Business, media and ICT. I'm predicted around ABB (hopefully) at the need of the year and I'm REALLY struggling to decide what to do at uni.
I'm currently torn between Business management and Communication and Media.
I feel as though business will give me a better chance of a career but my media teacher constantly tells me to do what I want to do and employers will just be impressed by the fact I have a degree?
I tend to do slightly better in Media and I do thoroughly enjoy it and I'm very interested in it. However I don't exactly hate business and ever since school I always imagined myself being successful in business. I know this would be a tougher choice but I'm sure I could motivate myself.
I'm a very financially driven person and my main concern from this is which will give me the best chance of a high paid job?? I've honestly spent HOURS if not DAYS researching courses, universities, opinions on the courses etc. And I'm still so stressed about it all. I wish someone would just force me into one at this point.
If anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Business
Original post by chloe453
Hey I'm an a level student currently studying Business, media and ICT. I'm predicted around ABB (hopefully) at the need of the year and I'm REALLY struggling to decide what to do at uni.
I'm currently torn between Business management and Communication and Media.
I feel as though business will give me a better chance of a career but my media teacher constantly tells me to do what I want to do and employers will just be impressed by the fact I have a degree?
I tend to do slightly better in Media and I do thoroughly enjoy it and I'm very interested in it. However I don't exactly hate business and ever since school I always imagined myself being successful in business. I know this would be a tougher choice but I'm sure I could motivate myself.
I'm a very financially driven person and my main concern from this is which will give me the best chance of a high paid job?? I've honestly spent HOURS if not DAYS researching courses, universities, opinions on the courses etc. And I'm still so stressed about it all. I wish someone would just force me into one at this point.
If anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it!

Omg!! I'm also predicted ABB and I was/still am in the same situation but with a different subject. I wasn't sure whether to choose either Business or Product Design (Design Technology). I excel in product design and enjoy it because it's way more relaxing and there's no pressure and I do average in business yet take a slight interest in only a few of the topics, however, I've decided to go with business because it's more open to career opportunities BUT I'm already regretting it. I'm writing my personal statement at the moment and trust me it's hard to write about a subject without a true passion. I was looking at university courses, salary and all other stuff related to both courses hopefully determining my choice but nope no luck. Maybe go for media because you'll enjoy it more? Or you could just opt for business if you wish. Both subjects have a few similar potential job occupations.
Reply 3
Original post by Christina21
Omg!! I'm also predicted ABB and I was/still am in the same situation but with a different subject. I wasn't sure whether to choose either Business or Product Design (Design Technology). I excel in product design and enjoy it because it's way more relaxing and there's no pressure and I do average in business yet take a slight interest in only a few of the topics, however, I've decided to go with business because it's more open to career opportunities BUT I'm already regretting it. I'm writing my personal statement at the moment and trust me it's hard to write about a subject without a true passion. I was looking at university courses, salary and all other stuff related to both courses hopefully determining my choice but nope no luck. Maybe go for media because you'll enjoy it more? Or you could just opt for business if you wish. Both subjects have a few similar potential job occupations.

Ugh I'm terrified of regretting my choice!! But I'm also scared of spending £30k+ on a course because I "enjoy" it but then ending up with a really crappy job. I'm also worried that my media tutor is influencing my decision too much, I feel almost pressured by him, like I don't want to let him down by doing something else, which isn't helped by him being my personal tutor so I can't hide what I choose 🙄
Ugh I'm terrified of regretting my choice!! But I'm also scared of spending £30k+ on a course because I "enjoy" it but then ending up with a really crappy job. I'm also worried that my media tutor is influencing my decision too much, I feel almost pressured by him, like I don't want to let him down by doing something else, which isn't helped by him being my personal tutor so I can't hide what I choose 🙄

Frrr it's the same with me but I've decided to just wing it otherwise this UCAS application will be turned in super late and I might not get any offers or a fast response by then! If I were you, don't just "wing it", consider it yourself, just sit down and think, what do you really feel like you're leaning towards to, putting aside everyone else's opinions and only considering yours. Ohhhh that's really unlucky but who cares about his opinion? Just go with what you think, alright that's what everyone said to me but I'll give you a tip, flip a coin, labelling one side as one subject and another as the other. Once you flip it and let's say heads is business and you don't seem satisfied with that choose media and so on. It truly helps you I suppose, it helped me as I decided I can choose business as a degree now and if I wish to continue pursuing design afterwards I can choose an occupation which links with it because believe me for these two subjects, yours too, many overlap, after all it is business.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Christina21
Frrr it's the same with me but I've decided to just wing it otherwise this UCAS application will be turned in super late and I might not get any offers or a fast response by then! If I were you, don't just "wing it", consider it yourself, just sit down and think, what do you really feel like you're leaning towards to, putting aside everyone else's opinions and only considering yours. Ohhhh that's really unlucky but who cares about his opinion? Just go with what you think, alright that's what everyone said to me but I'll give you a tip, flip a coin, labelling one side as one subject and another as the other. Once you flip it and let's say heads is business and you don't seem satisfied with that choose media and so on. It truly helps you I suppose, it helped me as I decided I can choose business as a degree now and if I wish to continue pursuing design afterwards I can choose an occupation which links with it because believe me for these two subjects, yours too, many overlap, after all it is business.

Thanks for the help, I'm still not entirely sure. I change my mind like every hour, it's a mess haha. I think I'm going to sit down with both my business and media teacher tomorrow and see what they think is best for me. I am starting to consider a joint degree but idk if I could deal with the stress of that haha. Anyway I'll be sure to post what I decide
Thanks for the help, I'm still not entirely sure. I change my mind like every hour, it's a mess haha. I think I'm going to sit down with both my business and media teacher tomorrow and see what they think is best for me. I am starting to consider a joint degree but idk if I could deal with the stress of that haha. Anyway I'll be sure to post what I decide

Hahahahaha I'm doing the same because I keep changing my mind. You're lucky that there's a joint degree for both subjects! I sadly don't have that :frown:((( and you really should post your decision!! I'd really want to know because I'm in the same position again 😂😭, back to square one.

Quick Reply

Latest