Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I am 19 and would like to go into Medicine. I have A*A*A* at GCSE in the sciences but do not have science A Levels. I would like to get them eventually.

    As a student after school I have no idea how I'll study the A Levels, especially since the practical component is sort of 'built in' to the A Levels now.

    I'd really appreciate any advice: my life is without direction at the moment, whether you're a medical student or an A Level student.
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    If you're over the age of 19 (or especially over 21) you may want to consider an Access to Medicine course. There are a number around the country, however not all are necessarily accepted by all medical schools - most have a number that they will accept from, and usually these are stated on their websites, but you ought to contact them directly to see if the specific Access course you're looking at is acceptable to make sure.

    Otherwise you can take A-levels, however it may be costly, especially when you take into account the Science Practical Endorsements. There are a few 6 year medical courses with a foundation for "subject changer" students who have medicine level grades but in non-science subjects I believe - however check carefully as most such 6 year courses are for widening access students.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2017

University open days

  1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.