The Student Room Group

Law : KCL vs Durham for international student

Which university should I lean towards between KCL and Durham. As an international student the following are my concerns in order of preference -

1. International Reputation
2. Career Opportunities(both internships and after uni employability) - preferably in international organizations or global firms
3. Opportunities for LLM
4. Student Satisfaction and Cost
Original post by Rayan B
Which university should I lean towards between KCL and Durham. As an international student the following are my concerns in order of preference -

2. Career Opportunities(both internships and after uni employability) - preferably in international organizations or global firms
3. Opportunities for LLM

Depends on where you are from. Generally speaking, KCL has a higher "international reputation" but if you are looking to be hired by an international firms in the UK, Durham or KCL shouldn't be too big of an issue. Living in London is expensive and Student Satisfaction for KCL isn't that great, so Durham wins on both parts. Ultimately, both are good choices and you should choose the university environment where you think you can thrive in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For your points
1. King's
2. Equal
3. Equal
4. Durham

Durham is seen as slightly better by UK employers while King's abroad.
It really depends on how important intentional rep vs cost is for you, they're the deciding factors.
Reply 3
Original post by GovernmentEarner
For your points
1. King's
2. Equal
3. Equal
4. Durham

It really depends on how important intentional rep vs cost is for you, they're the deciding factors.

I don't wish to work in the UK. I wish to mostly to return home after the degree and work for international firms or international organizations like UN, IAEA, Human rights groups etc. So king's it is then?
Original post by Rayan B
I don't wish to work in the UK. I wish to mostly to return home after the degree and work for international firms or international organizations like UN, IAEA, Human rights groups etc. So king's it is then?

If you think it's affordable then King's seems right :smile:
Reply 5
If you think it's affordable then King's seems right :smile:

My family is willing to spend the money required provided I get that level of international recognition for the degree and a solid education. King's will do that you feel?
Original post by Rayan B
My family is willing to spend the money required provided I get that level of international recognition for the degree and a solid education. King's will do that you feel?

yep, but beware London is very expensive, good luck :smile:
edit: they're in the top 25 world universities (QS World Ranking)
(edited 6 years ago)
Try applying to UCL too.
Reply 8
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Try applying to UCL too.

I am :smile: I'm applying UCL KCL QMUL Durham and Warwick
Reply 9
Yes I'm aware of the rep of durham and Warwick :smile: but yes being from India where everyone is very competitive and people love the brand names I guess going to London makes more sense for me :smile: I was gonna apply LSE too, but their UGAA date clashes with my final exams so I chose UCL instead. Thanks anyways!
Original post by wolfmoon88
Depends on where you are from. Generally speaking, KCL has a higher "international reputation" but if you are looking to be hired by an international firms in the UK, Durham or KCL shouldn't be too big of an issue. Living in London is expensive and Student Satisfaction for KCL isn't that great, so Durham wins on both parts. Ultimately, both are good choices and you should choose the university environment where you think you can thrive in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For your points
1. King's
2. Equal
3. Equal
4. Durham

Whaaaat.

I have always been told by academics, articles and friends alike UCL is second to Oxbridge. Never has Kings been mentioned as better. Never.

Also according to three global rankings. QS, THE and ARWU UCL is ranked at 10, 16 and 17 out of 1000. While Kings? Doesn't even make top 30 in any global ranking.
Original post by Rayan B

3. Opportunities for LLM

Hi,
I applied for those two last year and received offers from both. Ultimately I decided to go to a different Uni that being Bristol, as kings was too expensive for me to study in London and ultimately Durham is a small town and was rather dull. They all have similar career options, no offence to anyone else but they are not Oxbridge and so any difference between these two institutions and most RG uni's for that matter are rather marginal. I would recommend you go to the place you feel you will do the best at whilst taking in your aforementioned factors as well.

1. In terms of international rep I would say King's is better just because it is in London and so is better known, but it not any better. Durham is probably better regarded in the UK, but again they're both good, you're comparing two golden apples.

2. In terms of employment they are pretty much on par though a slight advantage would go to Durham, because they're applicants tend to have better grades and generally are what some would describe as more polished. That is just my opinion and my experience so its purely conjecture. Take it how you will.

3. Both have equal opportunities for an LLM.

4. Durham generally has better satisfaction, its significantly cheaper and has its college system which is a massive bonus for some. Though King's is in London so it has all that going for it. Up to you.

Ultimately as I said they're both Great so its up to you. There probably won't be any significant difference in going to one instead of another.

Regards, and hope this helped out a bit.
(edited 5 years ago)
I misread this as UCL v Kings, my apologies. Kings has a better global reputation tuan Durham.
Reply 13
Durham is hands down a better university than KCL. In the domestic rankings Durham ranks 4th while KCL isn’t in the top 30.

That said, I study in N America and here people seem to have this perception that KCL is a first rate university. I don’t understand how KCL has come to have this high international reputation, but it does have it.

In my opinion, Durham and St Andrews are the best two UK universities after Oxbridge. But for international recognition, you’re better with UCL, Imperial, or LSE.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest