The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Good luck with your applications! it all is taken into account with your other extracurriculars, your personal statement, BMAT, how you come across in interview, etc..academic extracurriculars certainly won't hurt.

At your stage I went to a few courses myself and they definitely helped in terms of being able to ask real medics for their opinion, gauging their responses to my interview, learning more about the application process etc. Some were quite pricey but they helped me get in, though they weren't essential...it did help boost my confidence. I've never personally been to this one at Imperial, but it's been running for 11 years and includes a 1-on-1 personal statement clinic and they’ve had really positive reviews for all they provide.

I had loooads of drafts of my personal statement and it had gone through a complete 180 from my first attempt, so don't be disheartened if the process ends up longer than expected…its all worth it in the end! Good luck with your application and all the best for year 13, definitely intense at times but hopefully you’ll come out with offers

Original post by chickenwing2291
Hello! I'm applying to Cambridge and Imperial for medicine.
Was wondering how much those schools value academic extracurriculars like math and science olympiads.
Anyone going to the open day tomorrow?
Original post by thatlondonmedic
Hey,

I know students who were predicted poorly and still managed to make it into med school the year after - it's not impossible! The good thing with AS exams being internal, and the chance to speak to teachers who know you well, is that you've a chance to speak to them if you had mitigating circumstances

Thanks so much! Sorry I got back to you so late , but that advice is sooo reassuring ! Glad to know there’s still a good chance!!!
Hi, does anyone know if more academic universities increase the chances of getting into an AFP?
Hi guys, I'm applying to Oxford and Imperial with 8A*s and 3As at GCSE and A*AA predicted grades. I also took my maths A-level a year early and so have already got an A in that (I did fast-track GCSE and then did AS in year 11 and so joined a Year 13 class in year 12 to finish the whole a level). I know the average no. A* GCSEs for Oxford is like 10 but I read somewhere that they compare it to your school's average in which case would make my grades look really good. Do you think I stand a chance for an interview if BMAT goes ok?
Couldn't there be a separate thread for imperial applications? The interviews are so different, and it would be easier to track people's interview invites and offers!
Yeah of course just do your best on the bmat
Hey, I've applied to Oxford and Imperial for my BMAT unis. I was wondering if anybody knew whether Oxford prioritise GCSE performance or BMAT in their shortlisting process. I got 9 8 8 8A*'s and 1 A (so 11A*'s and 1 A overall)in my GCSE's, which was above average in my state school but I don't think ill be able to score that highly in the BMAT, (as I left it a little late).
Original post by sarah_al21
Hey, I've applied to Oxford and Imperial for my BMAT unis. I was wondering if anybody knew whether Oxford prioritise GCSE performance or BMAT in their shortlisting process. I got 9 8 8 8A*'s and 1 A (so 11A*'s and 1 A overall)in my GCSE's, which was above average in my state school but I don't think ill be able to score that highly in the BMAT, (as I left it a little late).

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

i think its a 50:50 split between gcses and bmat. then for your bmat weighting its 40% s1, 40% s2, 20% s2

I personally feel there is limited gain from BMAT preparation anyway. Its still important because of just how much difference the exam can make, but its not the end of the world if your prep has been sub-optimal. You've still got 4 days which is more than I ever did.

Stop worrying about this and just do the best you can.
Original post by Phteven
5.4, 5.5, 5A, but the score needed varies year to year!

Wow!! How did you get a 5 for section 3 and what did you do to prepare?
Reply 211
Is there any Oxbridge/Imperial medical students, or any very knowledgeable applicants who happen to know what type of questions Cambridge ask about the books you've said you've read, because I know I won't be able to remember all the stuff in the books I've read and I really don't want it to seem like I didn't actually read the book. Really don't have the time to re-read all the books again.
Reply 212
Hi, I'm from Australia I'm doing IB I have taken maths HL,chemistry HL and biology HL. I have had work experience in a Croatian hospital and I'm an active youth worth. plus thinking of woking performing in an old care home for the Christmas. I just wanted to if I should apply Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial?? any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Has anyone been invited to interview yet?
Original post by Fara24
Hi, I'm from Australia I'm doing IB I have taken maths HL,chemistry HL and biology HL. I have had work experience in a Croatian hospital and I'm an active youth worth. plus thinking of woking performing in an old care home for the Christmas. I just wanted to if I should apply Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial?? any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Its unlikely anyone on TSR (and especially here, given its just an applicants thread and unlikely to attract the attention of our more knowledgeable members) is going to know much about Australian qualifications specifically, and all I will say is: check the websites for entry requirements.

Work experience and voluntary work is very important so its good you've done that. You need to reflect on it and be able to talk about it adequately on both the personal statement and interview.

Why do you want to apply to Oxbridge? Why are you lumping them in with Imperial? What do you know about the courses? Where do you want to work long term?
Reply 215
Original post by nexttime
Its unlikely anyone on TSR (and especially here, given its just an applicants thread and unlikely to attract the attention of our more knowledgeable members) is going to know much about Australian qualifications specifically, and all I will say is: check the websites for entry requirements.

Work experience and voluntary work is very important so its good you've done that. You need to reflect on it and be able to talk about it adequately on both the personal statement and interview.

Why do you want to apply to Oxbridge? Why are you lumping them in with Imperial? What do you know about the courses? Where do you want to work long term?

hi thanks for replying. I'm doing IB which is internally acceptable. Also, Australia accept the UK degrees. after the undergraduate course, I will be able to move back in. I don't know a lot about the courses they offer and maybe I could gain more insight ?
Original post by Fara24
hi thanks for replying. I'm doing IB which is internally acceptable.

Ah ok.

Also, Australia accept the UK degrees. after the undergraduate course, I will be able to move back in.

Yes, but there are still outstanding questions.

For example, in the UK jobs are allocated via a national applications process which does not involve which medical school you studied at. Hence, the advice always given on here is don't worry about 'prestige', just focus on the course and the entry requirements. I do not know how true that is of Australia.

Also, international graduates often face significant barriers moving abroad even if the degree is accepted. For example, in the UK international graduates are barred from applying to jobs in the first round - its only the second round, where unfilled jobs are put back on the system, that they can apply. Similar for Canada. I do not know about Australia, or whether your nationality would make a difference.

Important things to know before you apply!

I don't know a lot about the courses they offer and maybe I could gain more insight ?

I would suggest the websites in the first instance. If you had questions, you could then ask them and I'm sure people would try to help :smile: I went to Oxford, so am relatively able to help there.

But again, remember here is an applicants thread - they are 90% applicants with no experience of med school. A new thread might be your best bet.

Also remember the very useful which med school and am I good enough threads.
Reply 217
Ah ok.

Yes, but there are still outstanding questions.

For example, in the UK jobs are allocated via a national applications process which does not involve which medical school you studied at. Hence, the advice always given on here is don't worry about 'prestige', just focus on the course and the entry requirements. I do not know how true that is of Australia.

Also, international graduates often face significant barriers moving abroad even if the degree is accepted. For example, in the UK international graduates are barred from applying to jobs in the first round - its only the second round, where unfilled jobs are put back on the system, that they can apply. Similar for Canada. I do not know about Australia, or whether your nationality would make a difference.

Important things to know before you apply!

I would suggest the websites in the first instance. If you had questions, you could then ask them and I'm sure people would try to help :smile: I went to Oxford, so am relatively able to help there.

But again, remember here is an applicants thread - they are 90% applicants with no experience of med school. A new thread might be your best bet.

Also remember the very useful which med school and am I good enough threads.

Thank you sooo much for all the information!! Do you suggest going to open days of Oxford ? anything that might help with the interviews??
Original post by Fara24
Thank you sooo much for all the information!! Do you suggest going to open days of Oxford ? anything that might help with the interviews??

You could go to an open day. For Oxbridge that has the specific purpose of choosing a college as well. I probably wouldn't come all the way from Australia just for that though! You can substitute with thorough online research.

Interviews are deliberately hard to prepare for - they aim to ask you questions to which you do not know the answer and watch how you try to work it out. Your BMAT preparation will help somewhat, and just getting good at talking through academic questions is probably the best preparation. I honestly thought my best preparation was probably just having a very nerdy friend who liked to talk through what if type scenarios
Reply 219
You could go to an open day. For Oxbridge that has the specific purpose of choosing a college as well. I probably wouldn't come all the way from Australia just for that though! You can substitute with thorough online research.

Interviews are deliberately hard to prepare for - they aim to ask you questions to which you do not know the answer and watch how you try to work it out. Your BMAT preparation will help somewhat, and just getting good at talking through academic questions is probably the best preparation. I honestly thought my best preparation was probably just having a very nerdy friend who liked to talk through what if type scenarios

Sorry for pestering you with all my questions :frown: do you suggest taking a course for BMAT? is there an academic interview as well for Oxford medicine ?

Latest

Trending

Trending