The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hamza.shah24
Pakistan... :smile:
I gather you are a home student?

Yes, but I joined school in mainland England here in year 9, before that i was in Belfast. I'm from India originally :h:
Original post by Uranium Potato
Yes, but I joined school in mainland England here in year 9, before that i was in Belfast. I'm from India originally :h:

Lol I spent 4 years in the Scotland but then i returned back.. Rather unfortunately since I am classed as an international student and the fees is extremely high

:frown:

Are you thinking of applying to Oxbridge for medicine as well?
7A*s, A, 2Bs, C (Bs in creative subjects) still the best in my old school:wink:
Bio chem maths and EPQ
expected grades based on GCSE are AAAA - have not got predictions
I want to get A*, A*, A* (EPQ), A minimum
Oxford on Cambridge still don't know, i really like Homerton College in Cambridge, UCL, imperial or Kings College London
2 week at GP, going to volunteer at pharmacy and care home and hopefully get a hospital placement for easter

I know this was not a question but i really wanna move out for uni but my parents are not agreeing to it. IDK how i can convince them because i want my independence, part of the reason i am keen on oxbridge and higher unis so they will allow me to move out if i get a place at the world's best unis. i still don't know if i will ever get this. Reply with any advice or if you have similar story.:s-smilie:
Original post by hamza.shah24
Lol I spent 4 years in the Scotland but then i returned back.. Rather unfortunately since I am classed as an international student and the fees is extremely high

:frown:

Are you thinking of applying to Oxbridge for medicine as well?

Oxford in particular actually! Have you contacted uni admissions advisors to see what you'll be classified as?
Original post by hello2906

???
Oxford in particular actually! Have you contacted uni admissions advisors to see what you'll be classified as?

I have... Its international..
Thx for your help! What subjects did you take for a level and what were your final grades at gcse and a level?

Bio, Chem, History to A2 (A*A*A), Physics AS (A)
2A*, 5A, 2B GCSE
BMAT 5.4, 5.5, 5A

Not that remarkable!
Reply 28
Hullo

GCSES: 12A* (9 in math and eng lang, 8 in eng lit)
A level: Bio chem math econ
Predicted: Dunno prob 3A* 1A
Prospective Oxford medicine
Work experience: pretty lacking here, did 1 week placement at a hospital in summer hols, plan to do more

see yall on my operating table peace
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Moneyyy
Hullo

Work experience: pretty lacking here, did 1 week placement at a hospital in summer hols, plan to do more

Hopefully NOT on an operating table :colondollar:
GCSE Results: 11A*s and an A (9 in maths and 8s in English)
A Level Subjects- Biology, Chemistry,Maths and Geography and an EPQ
Predicted- A*A*A*A
Hoping to get- same as predicted
Uni- Cambridge, Imperial, King's College, UCL, Queen Mary's College, I do prefer London as a place for uni
Work Experience- Currently volunteer at Mencap, hoping to gain a day of work experience in a hospital and I emailed some unis who said that my dance leader work experience was also relevant.
Reply 31
Scottish student!
National 5 results: 7A’s (A*’s are not a thing in Scotland)
Seeing as Cambridge ask for bands, I got all 1’s
Higher subjects: biology, chemistry, physics, maths, english (5 is average)
Predicted: 5 A band 1’s
Hoping to get band 1’s?!
**Advanced Highers: I am thinking biology, chemistry, pure maths and stats?
Uni: Cambridge and Scottish uni’s because they’re free (why else?!)
Work experience: currently volunteering weekly in hospital (18 months by time of application), 1 week hospital surgical placement, 3 days research lab,
Planned: 2 days GP practice, 1 week volunteering at disabled holiday camp, about to start volunteering at care home and disabled children’s play centre weekly.
Graduate student hoping to apply to Imperial!
Biomed predicted 1st Class.
IB 40/45
IGCSE: 3A*, 7A, 1B
I feel like compared to 99% of the other international medical applicants my GCSEs are terrible but here goes anyways:

What you got for GCSES:
7A*s (:, english language, english literature, maths, ICT - took it in year 10, french and economics)
4As (bio, physics, drama and geography)

What you've taken at A-level:
I decided on: bio, chem, maths and english literature - might drop english next year though depending on my grades at the end of this year

Predicted (A2 not AS) grades (only if you've been given them already):
haven't been given them yet but target grades so far for AS are all As

What grades you think you'll get:

Realistically not sure but i'm aiming for all A*s if i can!!!

Which University you wish to receive an offer from:
Imperial! It's my dream uni I love it and I'm visiting their open day this summer I'm excitedd

What work experience do you currently do:
No long term stuff though I should probably start on that, but I've done 4 weeks at a burns hospital in India so I was allowed to watch multiple skin graft surgeries and stuff and I also shadowed the chief plastic surgeon there so that was a good experience! I'm also going to be doing some work experience in the UK this summer - if I get an opportunity to do it at an NHS trust then great but so far from what I've read online I have like no chance of that! But an alternative is doing some work experience through a summer programme which again i'm unsure of because I've heard it's a waste of money.
Heyy

GCSE results: 4A* 6A
A Level subjects: Chemistry, Biology, Maths and French
Predicted: Don’t have them yet
Hoping to get: Aiming for A/A*s
Uni: Imperial, King’s College and maybe Oxford
Work experience: Haven’t done much really but hoping to get some done over summer
Original post by Moneyyy
Hullo

Gintama!!:banana:
Out of interest, why do you want to apply to these unis? :smile:
Reply 37
For those of you looking to apply to medicine: Medicine 4 The Masses - high-intensity medical application enhancer.

Medicine 4 the masses is not another "how to" course but direct and immediately applicable talking points that you can include in your personal statement and discuss in your interview.

Key points

- Fully peer-reviewed and evidence-based course material
- Involvement in research and the opportunity to publish with us to impress your interview panel
- Work experience in a lecture-based format (equivalent number of talking points to a 2-week hospital placement)
- Access to unlimited personal statement reviews
- Lectures by medical school interview panel - what they want
- Opportunities to help organise international medical conferences
- Free attendance at "how to form a medical diagnosis" conferences (usually charged at £45, for medical students)
- International performance coaches: enhance your interview performance and grades
- Elite performers and academics

Don't spend weeks (or years) accumulating competitive experience and skills - gain what you need to have a highly competitive application, in a highly intense, focused way at 'Medicine 4 The Masses'.

For more info:
https://www.facebook.com/events/152424188803519/
@phteven what were your GCSE and alevel results
Reply 39
GCSEs: 9 A* A* A* A A A B B
What you've taken at A-level: Biology, Chemistry, Maths
Predicted Grades: A*AA
What grades you think you'll get: A*AA
University you wish to receive an offer from: UCL, Imperial, Queen Mary, Keele
Extra Curricular: Senior Orchestra, Public Speaking and Debating, Brownies Young Leader Volunteer, School Advocacy team, NCS, DofE
What work experience do you currently do: Hospital AED Volunteer (six months), St John Ambulance Volunteer (two and a half years), one-week placement in hospital, and next half term booked to shadow a doctor.

Since my GCSEs are lower than most, would it be realistic to apply to UCL or Imperial?

Latest

Trending

Trending