The Student Room Group

nervous about volunteering in care home

I'll soon be volunteering in care home to strengthen my medical school application but im. really nervous about it, especially the fact that I'll might have to sing as it's in a singing session to help stimulate people with dementia memories. anyone got any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by jonjoshelvey21
I'll soon be volunteering in care home to strengthen my medical school application but im. really nervous about it, especially the fact that I'll might have to sing as it's in a singing session to help stimulate people with dementia memories. anyone got any advice?

im a carer in a care home with residents that have dementia.
be prepared to see and hear some really weird things.
chances are, they wont even realise your someone from outside the home, depending on their capacity levels ie if they remember some things or if they dont
it will be normal songs from their time era, so doris day etc
Original post by shawtyb
im a carer in a care home with residents that have dementia.
be prepared to see and hear some really weird things.
chances are, they wont even realise your someone from outside the home, depending on their capacity levels ie if they remember some things or if they dont
it will be normal songs from their time era, so doris day etc

Thanks. what sort of things do you think I will be doing there and do you think I will be expected to sing?
Reply 3
Thanks. what sort of things do you think I will be doing there and do you think I will be expected to sing?

not sing per se, more like sing along.
if its like my care home, you will interact with the residents ie talk to them, sing along with them, hand song sheets out to them and collect them back when song changes, handing out drinks during the interval.
minor stuff like that. it wont be nothing major like feeding or changing and you wont be able to push them in their wheelchairs as you have been trained in manual handling in the home (families its different with tho obviously)
Reply 4

try to be open minded with what u hear the residents day, they tend to be open minded with no filter either so can be brutally honest or very rude. sometimes they can be aggressive but music and songs tends to do the opposite so u might see them cry or dancing along.
it also depends on their level of dementia
Original post by shawtyb
try to be open minded with what u hear the residents day, they tend to be open minded with no filter either so can be brutally honest or very rude. sometimes they can be aggressive but music and songs tends to do the opposite so u might see them cry or dancing along.

thanks if they do say something rude or whatever I don't mind but how should I respond to them? also will they ask you lots of questions and like repeat themselves?
Reply 6
thanks if they do say something rude or whatever I don't mind but how should I respond to them? also will they ask you lots of questions and like repeat themselves?

its hard because it depends on what they say
for example if they say your fat, just reply with something light heartd like "i know, iv been trying to shift it"
dont get angry obviously.
we have a resident who thinks she knows you from during her years, bearing in mind shes over 70 and im 24 so we just sort of go with it.
alot of dementia is just going with the flow and as bad as it sounds, lying to them.
so if they ask when their leaving (given they dont have enough mental capacity to remember they are there for good) then you just say "later on, but for now whilst were waiting, ill make you a cup of tea". stuff like that

some do repeat themselves yes and some do ask questions. mostly they will just go about their own business
Original post by shawtyb

thanks so much for the advice. by aggressive what do you mean ?
Reply 8
thanks so much for the advice. by aggressive what do you mean ?

violent, aggressive outbursts, offensive and swear at you etc
we had one resident who tried to elbow me in the head twice when he first came to us.
he also tried to slam a door in to me.
another resident tried to bite me and has slapped me
another resident hits anyone who gets near her when they are bathing her
we get called cxxxs and everything else under the sun.

chances are though you wont experience much of that at all, quite possibly swearing but not likely much else.
but you will be surrounded by staff so youl be fine

Quick Reply

Latest