The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Ou degree in Health and Social Care

Hi, i am in my mid fourties, married for 20yrs with a son of 11yrs old and I work full time with adults with learning disabilities.

My question is to anyone in a similar situation, how are you find the intensity of the work load and how confident are you.

I thought I was confident in myself but I am terrified at the thought of sitting exams and failing. I want to lead by example to my son and show him that hard work is worth the result ( especially at my age).

Also, as I am completely new to this world of studying, what happens if you fail, can you resist an exam?

Hope you all do well.
😀😀
Reply 1
Original post by MrsT123
Hi, i am in my mid fourties, married for 20yrs with a son of 11yrs old and I work full time with adults with learning disabilities.

My question is to anyone in a similar situation, how are you find the intensity of the work load and how confident are you.

I thought I was confident in myself but I am terrified at the thought of sitting exams and failing. I want to lead by example to my son and show him that hard work is worth the result ( especially at my age).

Also, as I am completely new to this world of studying, what happens if you fail, can you resist an exam?

Hope you all do well.
😀😀

If you fail, generally you can resit. It depends on the module and how badly you fail, though. If you can't resit that particular module then you would be allowed to complete a different module instead, so you'd still be able to complete your degree.

But there is a lot of help available to help you prepare for the exam. You'll be provided with at least one sample/past paper, and you can usually buy further past papers from the OU shop. You'll know going into the exam what the questions are like (eg essay, multiple choice, short answer) and how much time you have, so you can make a rough plan in your head. I've also written general exam information here
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
I'm in my mid-40s, have a 7 year old and a 2 year old, and work full time in a school. I find time to study evenings after putting my children to bed and on the weekends. My most valuable study time, though, is Sunday afternoons when my wife takes our sons to her parents for a few hours. It's hard work, but doable. I work a little harder to stay a week or two ahead of the module planner in case any emergencies crop up.

I had low confidence going in, but studied how to study the summer before my first module, and came out of it with a distinction, and a boatload of confidence. That confidence was then shot down as I enrolled in a maths module at a higher level than I'd done at school a few decades ago, so again I studied through the summer and am doing well again. (No danger of a distinction this time, though. But I'll pass.)

Being an example to my sons is a part of what I'm doing, and the eldest loves it. He loves grabbing my module books and dreaming about what he might study at uni. My youngest just likes pretending my calculator is a phone and scribbling on my notes.

Quick Reply

Latest