The Student Room Group

How to become a vet after a zoology degree

I graduated from Zoology with a 2.1 and placement year (but that was fully molecular lab work) and am finding there are no animal-related careers I want to go into. . . apart from becoming a vet.

At the end of my AS levels I was speaking with my biology teacher about vet med, but she said I hardly any experience (true) and my grades weren't exceptional - she suggested animal sciences/zoology but never suggested a gap year to gain the animal exp I needed (teachers just want people to go to uni so it looks good on the school records). Anyway I can't do anything about the past now, I got 3 A's at A2 (Maths, Chem, Bio) and did Zoology.

Now I was wondering how I can get into vet med (I know its crazy expensive).
Should I do vet nursing first?
I think I'll get an animal-related job to save money, go into vet nursing and then save for vet med which I think will be ~4 years after degree. Some people have said it's more competitive but I'm not sure about that?

TLDR: Any suggestions for Zoology graduate (2.1) (3 As at Alevels - Maths, Chem, Bio) wanting to become a vet?
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey there! I did a zoology degree too and have now applied for veterinary medicine for 2018 entry. Your degree would be enough to go straight into vet med without having to do a vet nursing degree (unless you want to of course). I'm currently working as a veterinary receptionist to save a bit of money cos as you said, it is expensive for a second degree so I recommend getting a job just to keep you going before you apply :smile:

In terms of work experience, have a look at what each vet school wants in terms of their requirements since they're all different but as long as you meet their minimum work experience and academic requirements, your application should be considered :smile:

If you have any other questions, just ask away :smile:
If veterinary medicine is what you're aiming for then doing veterinary nursing first, especially when you already have another degree, is a terrible idea. If all you are lacking is experience the best thing to do would be to take a year and either just do work experience or get a part time job (with animals is a bonus) and fit other experience around that.

There is someone in my year who did zoology and they are doing the 5 year vet course (our uni doesn't offer 4 year grad courses) but it could take you 3/4 years to become a vet nurse so a 3 year degree + a 3year vet nurse degree + a 4/5 year veterinary science degree... That isn't feasible to almost anybody.
Reply 3
I did an Animal Science degree and then took a gap year before starting post-grad vet school. I had loads of work experience from before and during my degree as I always planned to go to vet school but due to extortionate costs I chose to study abroad.

In my year off I worked in an office doing something completely unrelated to Vet Med and spent weekends and annual leave doing vet placements. I learnt so many transferable skills during the year, managing a team and handling escalated media complaints so learnt to deal with people screaming at me; happens more than you'd expect in a vets!

I'd get as much work experience as you can, particularly in a vets as often the reality of the job isn't what people expect.
Reply 4
Original post by smileysarah94
Hey there! I did a zoology degree too and have now applied for veterinary medicine for 2018 entry. Your degree would be enough to go straight into vet med without having to do a vet nursing degree (unless you want to of course). I'm currently working as a veterinary receptionist to save a bit of money cos as you said, it is expensive for a second degree so I recommend getting a job just to keep you going before you apply :smile:

In terms of work experience, have a look at what each vet school wants in terms of their requirements since they're all different but as long as you meet their minimum work experience and academic requirements, your application should be considered :smile:

Hi! :smile: Wow congrats! Hope it goes well :smile:
Thanks so much for your advice! Yeah, I feel like I don't need to do vet nursing then ~ somehow I thought it would be easier and I would already be in the vet scene x)
Reply 5
Original post by VMD100
If veterinary medicine is what you're aiming for then doing veterinary nursing first, especially when you already have another degree, is a terrible idea. If all you are lacking is experience the best thing to do would be to take a year and either just do work experience or get a part time job (with animals is a bonus) and fit other experience around that.

There is someone in my year who did zoology and they are doing the 5 year vet course (our uni doesn't offer 4 year grad courses) but it could take you 3/4 years to become a vet nurse so a 3 year degree + a 3year vet nurse degree + a 4/5 year veterinary science degree... That isn't feasible to almost anybody.

Yeah, I understand now :smile: Thanks so much for the input. I think it'll probably take me a couple of years to save up for it but I'll hopefully get an animal related job soon :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by lwescott
I did an Animal Science degree and then took a gap year before starting post-grad vet school. I had loads of work experience from before and during my degree as I always planned to go to vet school but due to extortionate costs I chose to study abroad.

In my year off I worked in an office doing something completely unrelated to Vet Med and spent weekends and annual leave doing vet placements. I learnt so many transferable skills during the year, managing a team and handling escalated media complaints so learnt to deal with people screaming at me; happens more than you'd expect in a vets!

I'd get as much work experience as you can, particularly in a vets as often the reality of the job isn't what people expect.

Wow, I never thought about studying abroad ~ how do the costs compare? Is there any language barriers?
So much good advice ~ thank you. It makes me a lot less stressed knowing I don't have to get an animal based job since there are not a lot where I live at the moment.
Thanks again for the knowledge.
Original post by Jollyjjo
Hi! :smile: Wow congrats! Hope it goes well :smile:
Thanks so much for your advice! Yeah, I feel like I don't need to do vet nursing then ~ somehow I thought it would be easier and I would already be in the vet scene x)

Thank you :smile: I have an interview for Liverpool in December so I'm hoping it goes better that when I initially applied before my zoology degree haha

You're welcome! Like the others said, you wouldn't need to do a vet nursing degree because your degree will have already equipped you with enough of science background :smile: The fact that you have got a 2:1 is excellent and your A levels are fine too so it's just a case of getting the work experience :smile: Veterinary medicine is super competitive as I'm sure you're aware but everyone will be in the same boat should you get a place on the course so I wouldn't worry about not being in the vet scene cos you'll be brought up to speed anyway :smile:
Reply 8
Wow, I never thought about studying abroad ~ how do the costs compare? Is there any language barriers?
So much good advice ~ thank you. It makes me a lot less stressed knowing I don't have to get an animal based job since there are not a lot where I live at the moment.
Thanks again for the knowledge.

I can't remember what they can charge in the UK now but some are £30k whereas mine are €7,500 a year and living costs are cheaper. It's all taught in English so not too many language problems.
I'll try not to hijack your post but if you're interested there is a huge thread about it on here!

As long as you can talk about what you've learnt and skills developed on your gap year then it should be fine.
Get a lot of practical experiences in places like stables and farms. Looking at courses abroad may also be a good idea :smile:

Should I do vet nursing first?

absolutely not - it's a different job and to do so show's a lack of understanding of what is involved in being a vet. Do something science-related if possible. I know of no-one practising in the UK that used to be a vet nurse before becoming a vet. In the US and Canada they sometimes do a vet technician programme before becoming a vet but this is very longwinded, cripplingly expensive and vet technicians are far more experienced and have a wider range of responsibilities than a vet nurse.

Your A'levels are good enough to get into vet school
Someone in my year at RVC was a vet nurse (pre nursing degree days) and so it can most definitely be done :smile:

Original post by Ubhejane
absolutely not - it's a different job and to do so show's a lack of understanding of what is involved in being a vet. Do something science-related if possible. I know of no-one practising in the UK that used to be a vet nurse before becoming a vet. In the US and Canada they sometimes do a vet technician programme before becoming a vet but this is very longwinded, cripplingly expensive and vet technicians are far more experienced and have a wider range of responsibilities than a vet nurse.

Your A'levels are good enough to get into vet school
Original post by animalmagic
Someone in my year at RVC was a vet nurse (pre nursing degree days) and so it can most definitely be done :smile:

Well I stand corrected :biggrin:

But really, that's the exception not the rule - I really wouldn't advise it.
Original post by smileysarah94

Hi there, I know this post was ages ago, but I was hoping you might help explain how it’s possible to save £48,000 for the 5 year vet med degree as your second degree ?? I’m wondering if it’s possible as I would love to take that route but it seems impossible to me to save up that amount of money. Thanks !!
Original post by Gradstudent1359
Hi there, I know this post was ages ago, but I was hoping you might help explain how it’s possible to save £48,000 for the 5 year vet med degree as your second degree ?? I’m wondering if it’s possible as I would love to take that route but it seems impossible to me to save up that amount of money. Thanks !!

I think a lot of postgrads normally do receive financial help from their families, very occasionally from vet practices too. But it is feasible if you were living at home to use your degree to work for a few years in a relevant field and be getting close to that sum.
Reply 15
hi, i'm looking at going into an undergraduate biology masters as im not certain what i want to do yet. do you think doing biology will be enough to get me into vet med school if i wanted to later on?

Latest