username3637922
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello I'm currently an a-level student studying Business, Economics and Product Design. I'm predicted ABB and oh my I have absolutely no idea on whether to pick Business Management or Product Design! I made a decision on an impulse to choose business but I keep swaying between the two. I excel in product design and only take a slight interest in it but whats putting me off choosing it is that an interview is required, a portfolio too and what if I come across problems in model making and there wouldn't be anyone to help me? As for business, I do average and overall, I'm not very fond of the course at a-level but I do like the parts to do with consumer behaviour and marketing. I've tried making a decision through reserarcbing throughly about both courses and so on but I'm still struggling between the two. If anyone has any ideas of how to solve it or opinions on what I should choose, it'd be a great help!!
adamantacademic
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey what Unis are you looking into, so we can see what is exactly required for Product Design, as on face-value it seems like you'll progress better there?
username3637922
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by adamantacademic)
Hey what Unis are you looking into, so we can see what is exactly required for Product Design, as on face-value it seems like you'll progress better there?
I was told that I if I do choose Product Design, Sheffield Hallam, Loughborough, Nottingham, Nottingham Trent, Leicester DMU and Brunel are all good for product design
Loughborough University
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Christina21)
Hello I'm currently an a-level student studying Business, Economics and Product Design. I'm predicted ABB and oh my I have absolutely no idea on whether to pick Business Management or Product Design! I made a decision on an impulse to choose business but I keep swaying between the two. I excel in product design and only take a slight interest in it but whats putting me off choosing it is that an interview is required, a portfolio too and what if I come across problems in model making and there wouldn't be anyone to help me? As for business, I do average and overall, I'm not very fond of the course at a-level but I do like the parts to do with consumer behaviour and marketing. I've tried making a decision through reserarcbing throughly about both courses and so on but I'm still struggling between the two. If anyone has any ideas of how to solve it or opinions on what I should choose, it'd be a great help!!

Hi Christina21

You'll generally do way better in your degree if you enjoy the subject that you're studying and have a passion for it.
It's hard to put in the work for something that's just 'OK'.

There's some good advice here which tells you what we expect to see in a portfolio - might help towards making a decision on which way you want to go http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/d...tfolio-advice/

Good luck on whichever way you decide to go - career prospects with both courses is really good - just depends on what you want to do.

Vicky
Danny Dorito
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just tagging in Sheffield Hallam University and

(Original post by University Centre Hastings)
x
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Christina21

I agree with Loughborough University. You are better choosing a degree course in the subject that you find most enjoyable. You can find information about our selection events and how to prepare a portfolio at
https://www.shu.ac.uk/visit-us/selec...product-design Alternatively, if you want some reassurance about the selection process you can visit for an open day and speak to member of the course team.

However, if you do decide that you would rather study business, bear in mind that there are a huge range of business-related courses on offer, some of which will focus on the subject areas that you find interesting so may appeal to you more.

Phil
danish22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
World Economic Forum's Future of Jobs report (2017) states the top 3 employee skills that all global employers and industries will be seeking by 2020 are creativity, critical thinking and complex problem solving. Considering your future career is likely to last almost 50 years- transferable skills will be key as you hop from job to job.
SHUGURU
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey Christina!

It sounds like you have two good options, so don't worry, you're in a good position. From reading your post, I just wanted to show you that you actually have different options within both business and product design - degrees can be more specific and may be more interesting to you as you mentioned being interested in certain parts of each. I'll use the courses at Sheffield Hallam as an example (that's where I go, so it's where I know about), and you might see something you feel more passionate about!

Design
Product Design: "While gaining the skills you need to produce imaginative designs with visual and technical flair, you also learn how to make those designs rational, suitable for manufacture, and affordable. We'll help you to think like a designer and gain the ability to design, develop and present work to a professional standard".
Furniture Design: "Develop your creative ability on a course with a design culture that considers all aspects of furniture and related product design, and a philosophy that thrives on new ideas, new ways of doing things and the exploration of creative possibilities. We celebrate diversity and encourage our students to develop their own personal identities."

Examples of the course style, learning environment and student work from both of these courses can be seen on this Instagram page! Both do require a portfolio of work to be seen at the interview stage, though I do believe you will be able to use the work you've completed at school for this.

Jewellery and Metalwork: "Through intensive and varied project work, you learn how to generate and produce original designs for a wide range of jewellery, tableware and personal accessories. The course supports a wide variety of approaches from one-off, highly crafted pieces to mass produced items."

There's also interior design and fashion design that you may be interested in.

Business/Marketing
- Business Studies
- Business Analytics
- Business Economics
- Business and ICT
- Business and Marketing
- International Business
- Sport Business Management
- Business and Enterprise Management
- Business and HR Management
- International Hospitality Business Management
- Marketing
- Food Marketing Management
- Marketing Communications and Advertising
- International Events and Experiential Marketing

As you can see there are many different routes into business (I don't even think I've added all of them)! So I've put into bold the ones that you sound like you might be interested in. Hopefully, this will show you how many options you have - it's not just about either product design or business, you have the chance to really hone in your interests and study something unique to what inspires you. I'd advise you to have a look at these courses to see what's really on offer.

As others have said, I'd definitely recommend doing a course that interests you despite how scary it might seem. You're going to be studying for 3+ years, and it's going to really shape your future, so you want to enjoy it as much as possible! I chose to study my favourite subject at a-level, and I'm still enjoying it while in my third year at uni - the optional modules have allowed me to choose to study what really interests me most and it's helped me to get a lot more out of my degree.

Keep researching and I'm sure you'll find a course perfect for you.

Hope this was helpful,

Ellie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (27)
17.53%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (49)
31.82%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (14)
9.09%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
10.39%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.55%
I think it's an unfair expectation (38)
24.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.95%

Watched Threads