AQA Power and conflict poems, how do should i revise?

Watch this thread
e_tian
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Tips?
Annabel113
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I am doing the same poems and i am picking 5 poems (one of each theme) and learning them in lots of detail, i pick 5 quotes from each poem that i really understand and could easily explore and learn them along with the important annotations that go with them.Make sure you understand the basics of every poem.
Hope this helps!
RickHendricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
i only picked three poems to memorise; Ozymandias, War Photography and Remains.

I got a grade 7.
username3626074
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
When I did my GCSEs, I wrote down the poems, then tried to make links between each poem according to themes. Then I broadened this to narrow down the poems, until I had around 7 poems at most that would fit with basically any other. Then I remembered some really good quotes from each which had good techniques to study and references to context and structure
Hoped this kinda helped? x
Vanilla Twilight
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Pair each poem up and pick out themes, similarities and differences between each. That way, you only need to learn like three quotes from each poem if you make sure to really analyse and talk about them fully. I don't encourage only learning like five because you never know whether they'll come up or not. Try to learn even a little bit about each poem and remember context! If you can remember loads of context the examiners will love your essay regardless.
Ameba
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I go to after school revision sessions in my school weekly (the food is a good motivator for going there ).

I also make parodies of songs using the poems. For example, if you sing the words to 'Charge of the Light Brigade' to the tune of 'All Star', then you will find that the two really match together. (Because 'Charge of the Light Brigade' is almost like a song - one of the stanza's are repeated twice, which fits in with the chorus of the song 'All Star).

It's very catchy and memorable!

I also made a quote wheel (if you search up quote wheel for power and conflict poetry, then you will find a template).

Also I link the poems to my life, and just modern life situations. For example, Ozymandias could be linked to the people who think they are superior to others, either due to their reputation, wealth or status. There are lots of examples of people like that in our society today. The more personal it is, the more memorable it is.
RickHendricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by e_tian)
Tips?
if you're gonna do what i did i probabaly won't recommend the exact sames. As this year's were bayanet charge in the paper, try to avoid it.
gomgossa
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Everyone has different methods of revising so I'm sure it's best to take a few ideas from everyone on this thread- I'll just share what I did (got a grade 9):

-Watched all of Mr Bruff's videos on every poem (really helps to get your thoughts together! Absolutely could not recommend his videos enough. Mr Bruff is a l e g e n d )
-made revision cards on every structural, formal and language feature in each poem (probably made about 3 double sided cards for each poem). I added in a lot of stuff from Mr Bruff's videos on the cards as structure, which he covers a lot, isn't something explored much in class. Also a summary card for each poem including key ideas/ themes and keywords to spark my memory
-On the back of the cards, and on a summary card for each poem, I wrote key quotes for all of the poems- about 5 each
-I memorised about 2/3 of the poems. This is completely unnecessary and tbh I mostly did this because I actually really liked the poems themselves. If you don't have the best memory and think your time would be better spent doing other things then just learn key quotes. However I felt much less panicked in the exam when I could visualise the actual words and structure of Remains to compare, rather than just a random, displaced quote here and there. If you're not aiming for a grade 9 you will probably be fine without doing this
-I drew up a list of possible combinations of poems for each possible question on different themes- many will compare 2+ times. This is something you should 100% do
-For each comparison, I used my resources (e.g. revision cards) to plan the structure of the response ( my structure was 2 main comparative ideas supported with evidence like language/structure). I didn't write any up but if you need to practice this then definitely do
-From memory of different poems, I did the same for each. This was mostly just to practice getting comparative ideas together before the exam- don't try to memorise responses because you could get something completely unexpected and not know what to do

Good luck. Also try to appreciate the poems if you don't already as it will make revising them easier :-)
LuxuriousAngel
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
can't believe i did this 1 year ago in 2019
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise