The Student Room Group

Year 11 mocks

I have my maths and english mock exams tomorrow
Maths: edexcel maths higher 1,2&3
English: AQA lang 1&2 and lit 1
can anyone help me with whats to revise on or whats coming up?
thanks

Scroll to see replies

I have no idea, sorry! I have mine in a few weeks :frown: good luck!
Reply 2
i am feaking out!:frown::s-smilie:
For maths only do the last question on the paper, this shows the examiner you have guts and will imeediately give you 100%. For English simply talk about how the author is sad, works everytime.
Reply 4
Original post by Radioactivedecay
For maths only do the last question on the paper, this shows the examiner you have guts and will imeediately give you 100%.

Lmao :laugh:, I wish this was true
Reply 5
I have my biology aqa and English language paper1 tomorrow 😥😥😥😥😥😥
Reply 6
i have the november paper 1 2 and 3 resit exams which will highly be used for maths edexcel sorted
but english im a lost cause
Reply 7
Paper 1 (English language):

- For question one there is a comprehension question (SHADE only four boxes, otherwise you won't get the mark). It's a true or false question about a nonfictional piece.

- For question I think there is also a comparison question for a different non fictional piece

- I don't know about question three.

- I think question four is the one where you have to write one description/story about an image or a title.

For English Literature, it should be the books/plays that most of your school has done. (Like for my school it is 'The strange case of Jekyll and Hyde' and 'Romeo and Juliet'). You will be analysing an extract and answering the question. E.g. "How does the writer create suspense in tension in this extract?" Yuu just pick out structural/language techniques and write about it.

You will also be doing all of the poems, poem comparisons, analysing an unseen poem. It's kind of similar to what you have above.

For maths, it depends on whether you are doing a higher or a foundation paper. You should be able to get past papers from your school.
Reply 8
Original post by Radioactivedecay
For maths only do the last question on the paper, this shows the examiner you have guts and will imeediately give you 100%. For English simply talk about how the author is sad, works everytime.

if only this was true
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymouseight

- For question one there is a comprehension question (SHADE only four boxes, otherwise you won't get the mark). It's a true or false question about a nonfictional piece.

- For question I think there is also a comparison question for a different non fictional piece

- I think question four is the one where you have to write one description/story about an image or a title.

For English Literature, it should be the books/plays that most of your school has done. (Like for my school it is 'The strange case of Jekyll and Hyde' and 'Romeo and Juliet':wink:. You will be analysing an extract and answering the question. E.g. "How does the writer create suspense in tension in this extract?" Yuu just pick out structural/language techniques and write about it.

You will also be doing all of the poems, poem comparisons, analysing an unseen poem. It's kind of similar to what you have above.

For maths, it depends on whether you are doing a higher or a foundation paper. You should be able to get past papers from your school.

thanks so much have you done the jekyll and hyde exam yet if so what themes should i revise
Reply 10

For English Literature, it should be the books/plays that most of your school has done. (Like for my school it is 'The strange case of Jekyll and Hyde' and 'Romeo and Juliet'). You will be analysing an extract and answering the question. E.g. "How does the writer create suspense in tension in this extract?" Yuu just pick out structural/language techniques and write about it.

Have you done your mock exams
Reply 11
Original post by Abdirabbi
thanks so much have you done the jekyll and hyde exam yet if so what themes should i revise

Original post by HO123
Have you done your mock exams

No.

But we get taught a lot about what the papers are like and we get a lot of examples about how our papers are like in class, and we even get to practice them in class and for homework and get the marked.

I'm just remembering some of the stuff I wrote on my cue cards (because we had to write them there).

I can see that not everyone has had this done in their school so this could be because, we were one of those schools who had a head start and we got taught GCSE content in year nine. The gamble thankfully paid off since the specs have remained the same for the most part.

I think I know what themes may come up in the exam though. I did the mocks a couple of months ago, and we are doing again this week. We'll have a third one around January.

Themes for Jekyll/Hyde questions:

- Duality of human nature (Refer to Stevenson's past life for the context).

- Good vs evil (refer to Satan, and the story of Lucifer for the context).

- Often the questions ask how something is portrayed/created like suspense/tension (It tends to be a common one).

- Nature vs the supernatural

- Scientific development

It would be good to revise context (Stevenson's life and the Victorian era) and terminology for these questions.

Themes in Romeo and Juliet:

- Fate (Talk about the mention of stars in the prologue and throughout the book. It would be good to identify foreshadowing for this too. You can also talk about Mercutio putting a curse on both families).

- Love (You can compare Romeo and Mercutio for this. Also talk about courtly love)

- The idea of masculinity and femininity (Talk about how Juliet is more "masculine", and Romeo is more "feminine." Mercutio is more "masculine" but doesn't have any girlfriends due to his insulting nature).

- Religion (Talk about fate, and how suicide was considered to be sinful in the day).

Themes for poetry and poem comparisons (power and conflict):

- Internal conflict:
> Charge of the Light Brigade and Kamikaze.
> Prelude and Kamikaze

- Reality of war:
> Charge of the light brigade and Remains.
> Bayonet Charge and Charge of the Light Brigade

- Effects of war:
> Poppies and Remains.
> Poppies and War photographer.
> Charge of the Light Brigade and War Photographer.
> Kamikaze and Exposure
> Kamikaze and War Photographer

- Power of nature:
> Prelude and Exposure.
> Prelude and Kamikaze.
> Storm on the Island and Kamikaze,

- Identity:
> Checking out me history and Emigree.

- Power of people:
> My Last Duchess and Ozymandias,
> Charge of the Light Brigade and My Last Duchess.
> Ozymandias and Kamikaze.
> My Last Duchess and Kamikaze.
> Remains and Kamikaze.

Since I've only revised a couple of poems, you'll have to see what other poems and themes you can find.
Reply 12
No.

But we get taught a lot about what the papers are like and we get a lot of examples about how our papers are like in class, and we even get to practice them in class and for homework and get the marked.

I'm just remembering some of the stuff I wrote on my cue cards (because we had to write them there).

I can see that not everyone has had this done in their school so this could be because, we were one of those schools who had a head start and we got taught GCSE content in year nine. The gamble thankfully paid off since the specs have remained the same for the most part.

I think I know what themes may come up in the exam though. I did the mocks a couple of months ago, and we are doing again this week. We'll have a third one around January.

Themes for Jekyll/Hyde questions:

- Duality of human nature (Refer to Stevenson's past life for the context).

- Good vs evil (refer to Satan, and the story of Lucifer for the context).

- Often the questions ask how something is portrayed/created like suspense/tension (It tends to be a common one).

- Nature vs the supernatural

- Scientific development

It would be good to revise context (Stevenson's life and the Victorian era) and terminology for these questions.

Themes in Romeo and Juliet:

- Fate (Talk about the mention of stars in the prologue and throughout the book. It would be good to identify foreshadowing for this too. You can also talk about Mercutio putting a curse on both families).

- Love (You can compare Romeo and Mercutio for this. Also talk about courtly love)

- The idea of masculinity and femininity (Talk about how Juliet is more "masculine", and Romeo is more "feminine." Mercutio is more "masculine" but doesn't have any girlfriends due to his insulting nature).

- Religion (Talk about fate, and how suicide was considered to be sinful in the day).

Themes for poetry and poem comparisons (power and conflict):

- Internal conflict:
> Charge of the Light Brigade and Kamikaze.
> Prelude and Kamikaze

- Reality of war:
> Charge of the light brigade and Remains.
> Bayonet Charge and Charge of the Light Brigade

- Effects of war:
> Poppies and Remains.
> Poppies and War photographer.
> Charge of the Light Brigade and War Photographer.
> Kamikaze and Exposure
> Kamikaze and War Photographer

- Power of nature:
> Prelude and Exposure.
> Prelude and Kamikaze.
> Storm on the Island and Kamikaze,

- Identity:
> Checking out me history and Emigree.

- Power of people:
> My Last Duchess and Ozymandias,
> Charge of the Light Brigade and My Last Duchess.
> Ozymandias and Kamikaze.
> My Last Duchess and Kamikaze.
> Remains and Kamikaze.

Since I've only revised a couple of poems, you'll have to see what other poems and themes you can find.

Thanks dude
Reply 13
I have my maths and english mock exams tomorrow
Maths: edexcel maths higher 1,2&3
English: AQA lang 1&2 and lit 1
can anyone help me with whats to revise on or whats coming up?
thanks

dont beg it
Reply 14
i have math paper3 tmr can someone help me please
Reply 16
thanks,do you have english lang 2 and lit 1?

Nah i haven't got the 2017 ones sorry good luck with them though
Reply 18
np what about paper 3
Original post by hudheifa
i have math paper3 tmr can someone help me please

was it 2017 autumn paper? if yes then i can help

Quick Reply

Latest