phosphene
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago

hey, welcome to another typical GYG:hand:

i'm a year 12 student currently, struggling through a levels. although there'll be plenty of rebondissements (twists and turns, thanks as-level french) and i'm hoping to study biology or biochem, and i hope to go into conservation work or developing pharmaceuticals.

i've chosen to study 4 a levels (with the intention of dropping french at as) and an epq.

biology (aqa)
chemistry (aqa)
history (aqa)
french (aqa)
epq (aqa)

i hope to achieve an a* in bio, an a* in history, an a* in epq, an a in chemistry and an a in AS french. far fetched i know

wee bit o' background, my gcses:
Spoiler:
Show

9 english lit
9 english lang
8 mathematics
a* history
a* geography
a* biology
a* chemistry
a* physics
a* fine art
a* french
a further mathematics

i hope to use this to keep track of how i'm doing, and any important dates or ucas stuff. plus i love being nosy and looking at other peoples, so why not do it myself !

if you want to ask anything, or have a chat about any subjects (especially any bio applicants!)please feel free to comment! i'd love to see how everyone else is doing and how you are finding it!

currently working at
Spoiler:
Show

biology - a
assessment #1 - 92% (a)
assessment #2 - 93% (a)
chemistry - a
assessment #1 - 67% (a)
assessment #2 - 71% (a)
history - a
wars of the roses essay #1 - 21/25 (a)
wars of the roses essay #2 - 21/25 (a)
wars of the roses essay #3 - 22/25 (a)
russia essay #1 - L4/L5 (a)
russia essay #2 - L5 (a)
french - a
mock (writing and reading) - 83% (a)
essay #2 - 89% (a)

peace out:crazy:
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey there! Good luck with this I studied biology at university and really loved it. It's an amazing subject and it's so diverse. Your grades are brilliant so keep up the good work
phosphene
Rep:
?
(Original post by Changing Skies)
Hey there! Good luck with this I studied biology at university and really loved it. It's an amazing subject and it's so diverse. Your grades are brilliant so keep up the good work
ahhhh, thank you!! it seems like such a good course, can i ask where you studied at?
phosphene
Rep:
?

update - 22.11.17

bio- feel okay, just a bit overwhelmed with content. nothing is too difficult or stressful just yet, need to start making condensed down flashcards of all topics covered. focusing on condensing each topic of each chapter down onto post it notes to consolidate knowledge.
chem - so difficult with all these equations to remember. genuinely quite enjoy mechanisms though, not too stressed, just need to keep on top of everything and maintain an A for now. gonna try and get a few worksheets done from alevelchem and chemguide.
history - the sheer AMOUNT i am expected to know is ridiculous!!! but essays are coming back consistently at a/a* grades so i'm definitely able to apply what i know. 100000% more confident that history was the right choice than i was a few weeks ago when i thought i was working at like a D lol.
french - bane of my life xxx really no idea where i am at, overwhelmed with vocab, drenched in homework, on the brink of dropping tbh.
epq - ahahahha done like nothing, finally got a title at least
phosphene
Rep:
?

update - 22.11.17
progress check one:
bio - cwa: a - predicted: a*
history - cwa: a - predicted: a*
chem - cwa: a - predicted: a
french (AS) - cwa: a - predicted: a
Really hope I'll be able to achieve that A*A*Aa prediction! So glad I've got good enough to apply to the Oxford summer stuff and pathway schemes. Really worried about/struggling with that French grade however - I have my AS mocks soon and I'll be dropping it after if I dont get at least a B, since I have my EPQ to fall back on.

bio- feel good, defo my favourite subject. really have little else to say!
chem - feeling okay! really enjoying mechanisms, finding the exam questions tricky but the content manageable. you definitely get out what you put in for something like chemistry. the bonding unit is a bit dismal but i'm enjoying it still (other than molecular shape!)
history - my highest predicted grade which is really surprising! in biology i got the a* prediction after discussion with teachers and head of year, but history was straight away given as an a*, which is so surprising as i am far more confident in bio/chem. i do really enjoy it at the minute though! actually a bit annoyed we don't get essays that often though, feel i never get much practice (i probably ought not complain). russia is so much better than at first!
french - love hate relationship! so confident in my writing, my speaking is getting there eventually, but find all the content really overwhelming and tough to interpret. really unsure whether to drop as struggle to see what it is bringing me in terms of applications... i'm only really doing it for the sake of wanting to speak another language.
epq - getting better! starting to research around my topic title.
phosphene
Rep:
?

update - 13.1.18
what have i done
organised work experience at a vets
got a job !
as french mock
applying to UNIQ
not flopping just yet

academically doing well and finally have a JOB! balancing has been fine even during mocks as i do nine hours but all on one day. doubting shot at getting into oxford, saw a girl on YT get rejected today and she had amazing volunteering experience and a stronger maths background than me (i wish i had took a level maths, feel so disadvantaged without it !)

bio- content is racking up but nothing to hard, don't seem to have tests any time soon. rly like the digestion unit !
chem - starting to get tricky, energetics is a nightmare ! history and chem is defo going to be my focus this term, still okay tho got a 71% in a test so another A !
history - weird, we haven't been set any essays in MONTHS i shouldn't complain but i just want to get practice ? other than that it's okay, russia is very dull at the minute but it's fine.
french - love french, hate the a level. had my mock this week, dropping if i don't get an A (bearing in mind i had done one or two questions on the paper before, although couldn't remember answers !)
epq - proper interesting now
phosphene
Rep:
?
wee lil update 14th jan, sent off my sutton trust application to imperial biology & got basically no work done this weekend lol, still hoping i get accepted onto uniq or pathways :/
phosphene
Rep:
?
18/1/18 - got an A in my AS french mock ! don't know at all how lmao but v happy. might be dropping history instead of french at the end of the year tbh
desvelada
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good luck with everything - looking forward to seeing your journey! I know absolutely nothing about biology but always happy to chat about Oxford in general if you ever have any questions
phosphene
Rep:
?
(Original post by desvelada)
Good luck with everything - looking forward to seeing your journey! I know absolutely nothing about biology but always happy to chat about Oxford in general if you ever have any questions
thanks ! are you currently studying there or an applicant ? what subject ?
desvelada
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by phosphene)
thanks ! are you currently studying there or an applicant ? what subject ?
First year E&M just a little bit different to Bio :lol:
phosphene
Rep:
?
(Original post by desvelada)
First year E&M just a little bit different to Bio :lol:
just a tad different 😂 can i ask what extra curricular stuff or 'super curricular' you did? i'm currently reading a few books on pharmacology and genetics, tutoring in bio and physics, work experience (and a job) in a pharmacy (+ a week in a vets soon) and a few lectures and seminars on bio / university outreach but i don't rly have anything that particularly stands out
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
:woo: well done on your french mock!!

will be watching this thread!! good luck!!
phosphene
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
:woo: well done on your french mock!!

will be watching this thread!! good luck!!
thank u lovely !
phosphene
Rep:
?
20/1/18

Very busy today as a nine hour shift but hoping to get plenty of bio done today and a bit of bio and history tomorrow !

Massively behind on all my copied up notes but it's fine aaaaaaaaa i need another hols to get myself sorted. Everything is organised in my file but I usually like to do it in condensed notes with my revision guide too.

Trying to plow through The Gene : An Intimate History by Siddharta Mukhergee for my personal statement while balancing a billion talks and a charity scheme i'm on ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh kill me with this stress. If anyone has good ways to remember bio information please hmu lmao.
desvelada
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
just a tad different 😂 can i ask what extra curricular stuff or 'super curricular' you did? i'm currently reading a few books on pharmacology and genetics, tutoring in bio and physics, work experience (and a job) in a pharmacy (+ a week in a vets soon) and a few lectures and seminars on bio / university outreach but i don't rly have anything that particularly stands out
Tbh you're doing way more than I ever did :lol: My super curriculars were very boring, I talked quite extensively about one book in my personal statement and also about an online course I took. I entered an essay competition but didn't place and couldn't fit it in nicely in my PS so never even mentioned it to them. Oh, I also took a gap year and had a semi-relevant job during that time.

I think what you're doing is fine, honestly I'd say there's too much emphasis placed on extra curriculars, especially for subjects where there's an admissions test. They're not going to sit there deciding between two candidates like "oh well this one ONLY went to four lectures on her subject, the other went to five". You're doing a great range already so just keep going with them!
phosphene
Rep:
?

It's been a while!

Work experience done & dusted, really enjoyed it. I'm starting to seriously consider Vet Med, I really could see myself doing it and the idea of having a set career path really appeals to me.

Slightly worse news, got a big fat rejection from UNIQ today I think it's only 1/5 get in but it seems most people on here got in lol. Not too bothered as sort of given up on Oxbridge entirely by now, I feel like if anything I would be wasting an application option (especially if I do Vet Med and only have 4 choices). Really like the look of Imperial and UCL (Bio) and Surrey, Bristol and Nottingham (Vet)

bio - same old, same old. i believe i'm getting a genetics/exchange test back tomorrow, i don't think it went bad but not particularly great.
chem - really love energetics and equilibria, but i despise organics with a passion.
history - nothing bad to say, just a lot to know really. finally i got a 22/25 on an essay! it's rare to get more than 22 in the actual exam so very happy to have gotten that in this point of the year.
french - the workload is stressing me OUT. but i did a past paper yesterday for listening and did surprisingly decent, the summary tasks are hard but the shorter questions are quite easy. none of the actual audio is too tricky, it's just a hideous mark scheme. the oral exam in two months is a scary thought but my writing exam marks are going up - i've went from 25/35 on my mock writing exam in january to a 31 now (so lowish B -> decent A)!

tl;dr bummed about not being on UNIQ, given up on oxbridge, might become a vet, french is hard.
phosphene
Rep:
?
8. March 2018

Biology
Got a 88% in my Bio test, so an A* (80% for A* boundary) Really good boost, feel so much more confident in it now. Not too much to say, I find genetics sooooo boring but loving the exchange module. I don't think many people got A grades so I'm so happy to have been quite far into the A*!

Chemistry
So tricky! I despise Organics, far too much info that makes literally no sense, just fact recall and tests... However, I really like Physical, especially Energetics and Equilibria, but it is hard.

History
I constant rely on the fact that history is my easiest subject but it is also my lowest CWA grade oh dear. I hate hate hate Russia.

French
Mental breakdown everytime I even think about the French language (:
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
8. March 2018

Biology
Got a 88% in my Bio test, so an A* (80% for A* boundary) Really good boost, feel so much more confident in it now. Not too much to say, I find genetics sooooo boring but loving the exchange module. I don't think many people got A grades so I'm so happy to have been quite far into the A*!

Chemistry
So tricky! I despise Organics, far too much info that makes literally no sense, just fact recall and tests... However, I really like Physical, especially Energetics and Equilibria, but it is hard.

History
I constant rely on the fact that history is my easiest subject but it is also my lowest CWA grade oh dear. I hate hate hate Russia.

French
Mental breakdown everytime I even think about the French language (:
:woo: for that bio grade!!
and mechanisms!! organic chem is all about mechanisms :yep: physical is nice too!! lots of equations!!
oh dear... good luck!!
:hugs: I hope your mental breakdowns get less severe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (245)
60.49%
No (83)
20.49%
Not sure (77)
19.01%

Watched Threads