The Student Room Group

Cranfield vs Triniy

I got offers from Trinity College Dublin for MSc finance and Cranfield finance snd management. My goal is IB/corporate restructuring/M&A. Trinity costs something like 8k less and it’s better ranked but Cranfield has smaller classes and the program is much more in line with my interests. Trinity ‘s program looks much more on private banking than corporate/investment banking, but in it’s still the top Irish school and so this could give me edge to start my career in Dublin. My doubt is about the program: can I find a job in corporate/M&A/IB with trinity starting from Dublin or is it better to accept Cranfield and start from London with a more specific program?
I’m 23, Italian, with no experience in finance, completing the last year of bc in business and economics
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Giupao
I got offers from Trinity College Dublin for MSc finance and Cranfield finance snd management. My goal is IB/corporate restructuring/M&A. Trinity costs something like 8k less and it’s better ranked but Cranfield has smaller classes and the program is much more in line with my interests. Trinity ‘s program looks much more on private banking than corporate/investment banking, but in it’s still the top Irish school and so this could give me edge to start my career in Dublin. My doubt is about the program: can I find a job in corporate/M&A/IB with trinity starting from Dublin or is it better to accept Cranfield and start from London with a more specific program?
I’m 23, Italian, with no experience in finance, completing the last year of bc in business and economics

Hi Giupao,

First of all, congratulations on the offers you have secured from Trinity College and Cranfield University. These are top universities for postgraduate study in your chosen research areas. I may be a bit tilted towards Cranfield University in my response, as this is the institution that I know very well, but my comments will be factual.

It looks to me that you are concerned about starting a career after graduation in your chosen area of Corporate/M&A/IB and it seems like you are also concerned with the ranking of your eventual university. I believe this is right?

The MSc Cranfield Finance and Management is ranked 29th in the world and 6th best in the United Kingdom by the Financial Times. Many of our students work towards the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) qualification while studying for their MSc. It is possible that you graduate with an MSc and also a CFA qualification. (You will receive support from our faculty ahead of sitting the first examination).

You did mention wanting a focus on, "Corporate Restructuring/M&A/IB". Mergers and Acquisitions, Corporate Restructuring and International Banking (taking as International Finance) are specific modules within our MSc course. For the MSc Finance and Management Course you will take 4 electives. For the career path you want to have then, I suggest, "Corporate Restructuring", "M&A", "International Investment and Emerging Markets" and "Fund Management" as electives you could take. However, there are others.

The age range for this MSc is between 21 -26, which falls nicely with your age and a good number of our students also come in with no experience.

I hope these answers help!

Let me know your thoughts!

Best,
Cranfield TSR Rep.
Reply 2
Original post by Cranfield University
Hi Giupao,

First of all, congratulations on the offers you have secured from Trinity College and Cranfield University. These are top universities for postgraduate study in your chosen research areas. I may be a bit tilted towards Cranfield University in my response, as this is the institution that I know very well, but my comments will be factual.

It looks to me that you are concerned about starting a career after graduation in your chosen area of Corporate/M&A/IB and it seems like you are also concerned with the ranking of your eventual university. I believe this is right?

The MSc Cranfield Finance and Management is ranked 29th in the world and 6th best in the United Kingdom by the Financial Times. Many of our students work towards the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) qualification while studying for their MSc. It is possible that you graduate with an MSc and also a CFA qualification. (You will receive support from our faculty ahead of sitting the first examination).

You did mention wanting a focus on, "Corporate Restructuring/M&A/IB". Mergers and Acquisitions, Corporate Restructuring and International Banking (taking as International Finance) are specific modules within our MSc course. For the MSc Finance and Management Course you will take 4 electives. For the career path you want to have then, I suggest, "Corporate Restructuring", "M&A", "International Investment and Emerging Markets" and "Fund Management" as electives you could take. However, there are others.

The age range for this MSc is between 21 -26, which falls nicely with your age and a good number of our students also come in with no experience.

I hope these answers help!

Let me know your thoughts!

Best,
Cranfield TSR Rep.

I have a question: what institutes recruit at Cranfield in the M&A/IB/corporate finance? I have read that Barclays recruits on campus
Original post by Giupao
I have a question: what institutes recruit at Cranfield in the M&A/IB/corporate finance? I have read that Barclays recruits on campus

Hi Giupao,

Thanks for your reply -quite a lot of companies and institutes. We recently had over Careers Fair on the 7th of November and it was attended by a large number of companies -Rolls Royce, Airbus, PWC, Jaguar Landrover, Amazon, Adidas, Capita, Coca Cola, etc- if I recall well, there were between 60-70 companies and, yes, some students gotten on-the-spot interviews. All these companies seek for people going into Finance (the School of Management has a large number of industry links)

I have always advised that with Cranfield, in my experience, it is important to focus on excelling at your studies first. I was actually drawn to Cranfield through friends of mine who had in various stages in their careers at a top FTSE 100 company. Career and further research opportunities will come up at Cranfield during your studies (not just at the end of it). You are more likely to take them if your grades are at the very least, very good -which I am sure you can achieve.

Best,
Cranfield TSR Rep.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending