The Student Room Group

Helpp

Hi
I wanted ask about the bonding in Ammonium chloride and why its ionic despite being made up on nonmetals only. Why doesnt the chlorine form a covalent bond with the ammonium ion as ammonium is made up of non-metals only. I get the amonium has a positive charge and chloine a negative, but why? If so,would a hydronium ion (H30+) form an ionic bond with chlorine too? Would a H+ ion form an ionic bond with Cl-? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Laraib Chaudhry
Hi
I wanted ask about the bonding in Ammonium chloride and why its ionic despite being made up on nonmetals only. Why doesnt the chlorine form a covalent bond with the ammonium ion as ammonium is made up of non-metals only. I get the amonium has a positive charge and chloine a negative, but why? If so,would a hydronium ion (H30+) form an ionic bond with chlorine too? Would a H+ ion form an ionic bond with Cl-? Thanks

How is NH4Cl made?
The most common way is when Ammonia reacts with Hydrochloric acid. The hydrochloric acid dissassociates to form H+ and Cl-, and the H+ covalently (datively) bonds with the Ammonia to form NH4+.
NH4+ and Cl- have opposite charges so attract each other.

What is your obsession with metals, non-metals etc? What does the fact that they're metals / non-metals have to do with anything? NH4 has one less electron that it has protons, so it has a + charge. Cl has one more electrons that protons so it has a - charge. Being a metal/ non-metal, doesn't come into the equation at all.

In solution, HCl becomes hydroxonium chloride and yes there is attraction between the hydroxonium ion and the Chloride ion. Ionic bonding is just attraction between oppositely charged ions.
If you put H+ and Cl- together, with nothing around it, they would just form HCl (a covalent molecule). H+ never exists on its own (if it can help it)
Original post by Laraib Chaudhry
Hi

Original post by StayWoke
How is NH4Cl made?
The most common way is when Ammonia reacts with Hydrochloric acid. The hydrochloric acid dissassociates to form H+ and Cl-, and the H+ covalently (datively) bonds with the Ammonia to form NH4+.
NH4+ and Cl- have opposite charges so attract each other.

What is your obsession with metals, non-metals etc? What does the fact that they're metals / non-metals have to do with anything? NH4 has one less electron that it has protons, so it has a + charge. Cl has one more electrons that protons so it has a - charge. Being a metal/ non-metal, doesn't come into the equation at all.

In solution, HCl becomes hydroxonium chloride and yes there is attraction between the hydroxonium ion and the Chloride ion. Ionic bonding is just attraction between oppositely charged ions.
If you put H+ and Cl- together, with nothing around it, they would just form HCl (a covalent molecule). H+ never exists on its own (if it can help it)

I guess the 'obsession' with metals and non-metals is due to the way that ionic bonding is taught at GCSE.
Some text books and teachers teach that ionic bonds are bonds between metals and non-metals. They are, but there is a bit more to it:

Ionic bonds ate bonds between positive ions (cations) and negative ions (anions).
Almost all of the common cations are metals, but the ammonium ion NH4^+ is an exception. As a cation it bonds with anions.

Quick Reply

Latest