Medicine interview topics discussion 2017/18

Watch
COYS...TTID
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So now medical schools are starting to send out interview invites, I thought I would make a thread about topics/current affairs you all think we should know about. Obviously everyone has read different articles etc so don't freak out if you haven't heard of something on here!
For example, here are some on my list:

1)Ian Patterson
2)Harold Shipman and the consequential improvements to the NHS's revalidation system
3) Simon Stevens' recent comments about the NHS's Brexit money
4) Competence/capacity in a clinical setting
5) The new elderly A&E in Norwich (first of its kind in the NHS)
6) Junior doctor strikes

Obviously this list is not exhaustive -please feel free to add stuff - we should be able to build up a broad list of topics to help us ace those interviews!
Actuvia
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by COYS...TTID)
So now medical schools are starting to send out interview invites, I thought I would make a thread about topics/current affairs you all think we should know about. Obviously everyone has read different articles etc so don't freak out if you haven't heard of something on here!

1)Ian Patterson
2)Harold Shipman and the consequential improvements to the NHS's revalidation system
6) Junior doctor strikes

Obviously this list is not exhaustive -please feel free to add stuff - we should be able to build up a broad list of topics to help us ace those interviews!
I feel like dementia has been sort of a hot topic issue
The Medic Portal
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

1)Ian Patterson
6) Junior doctor strikes

Hi there!

This is a great idea for a thread!

We'd add in:
1. Brexit's impact on healthcare
2. The Charlie Gard case
3. Mental health services
4. 7-Day NHS

You can read more about all of these topics above - plus potential interview questions you might be asked - on our NHS Hot Topics 2017 page.

We've also started a new series on hot topics in medicine:
- NHS Hot Topics: Organ Donation
- NHS Hot Topics: Antibiotic Usage
- NHS Hot Topics: Primary Care Pressures
- NHS Hot Topics: Ageing Population

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal
meddicmind
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Volibear)
Charlie Gard
Here are some tips for Charlie Gard!

Everything you need to know in 2 slides!

Kunal - Medic Mind
Voted UK's Best Medical Start Up 2017 🏆
www.medicmind.co.uk/interview
meddicmind
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

1)Ian Patterson
6) Junior doctor strikes

Here are more topics

- Junior Doctors’ Contract 7 Day NHS

- GOSH v Yates & Gard (Charlie Gard Case)
- Brexit (of course!)
- Mental Health Provisions
- Obesity Crisis

- A&E Waiting Times

Kunal - Medic Mind
meddicmind
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

1)Ian Patterson
6) Junior doctor strikes

For 6) in your list, a common question is "Do you think it was right for doctors to go on strike?".

Here are some tips in the slide attached.

Kunal - Medic Mind
Attached files
meddicmind
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

1)Ian Patterson
6) Junior doctor strikes

Here are some points on number 3:

Employment Effects

- Currently 60,000 European workers in the NHS - Lack of new migrant workers has meant that there has been an overall real-terms loss of 40,000 nurses

- Since the vote to leave the EU, the number of nurses from overseas EU countries applying to work in the UK has fallen by 96%

- Likely to fall even more due to stricter immigration laws as well as a reduction in salary value due to currency depreciation.

Financial Effects

Nuffield Trust (2016) - “It is possible that extra funds could be found for the NHS from any cancellation of Britain’s EU membership fees – but whether or not these benefits will outweigh the significant staffing and financial costs Brexit may impose on already stretched services remains to be seen”

These extra funds are estimated as an extra £100m per week to the National Health Service

Kunal - Medic Mind
Actuvia
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thank you so much medic mind and medic portal. You really have helped me think of things to look at .
COYS...TTID
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by johnblake15687)
Hey guys, what does everytone think of the interview course being offered by easymedicuk.com , seems like a reasonable price. I just bought a ticket, anyone want to join me? Image it's apparently run by medical students. More than anything, it seems so cheap
Blatant advertising lol, nice try “John Blake”
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (40)
23.26%
Note taking apps (5)
2.91%
Flashcards (31)
18.02%
Revision guides (5)
2.91%
Past papers (85)
49.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.49%

Watched Threads