The Student Room Group

Can't decide between two very different courses! Desperate for advice!

I'm in the process of applying to universities but the thing is I'm stuck between to very different courses. At the moment I can't seem to decide between pursuing a degree in Genetics or Law. I have such strong interests in both these fields that every time I feel like I've made a decision, something always draws me towards the other. Apart from this, I feel pressurised to choose a course that my family will approve of and don't want to disappoint them. Even though at the end of the day I know that it's my future and not anyone else's. Any sort of advice at this point would be immensely helpful!
If you do biochemistry you can go into patent law, dunno if that’s a compromise for you
Reply 2
both could get you somewhere but i think there more call for law - in terms of job adverts
dont see many for genetics but then again i dont look.
you could persue more routes with law

Original post by kawther30
I'm in the process of applying to universities but the thing is I'm stuck between to very different courses. At the moment I can't seem to decide between pursuing a degree in Genetics or Law. I have such strong interests in both these fields that every time I feel like I've made a decision, something always draws me towards the other. Apart from this, I feel pressurised to choose a course that my family will approve of and don't want to disappoint them. Even though at the end of the day I know that it's my future and not anyone else's. Any sort of advice at this point would be immensely helpful!
1. If there's a clear course you enjoy more then do it
2. Otherwise do genetics. I'm saying this because it's much easier for you to do genetics and do a 1 year law conversion course afterwards than it would be for you to do law then go into genetics.
My advice would be to take it by your career plan.:wink:

Also, I've moved your thread into this sub-forum so you hopefully get the responses you're after.:cool:
Reply 5
Original post by lcschofield
If you do biochemistry you can go into patent law, dunno if that’s a compromise for you

Hmm I never knew that. Thanks for the suggestion!
Reply 6
Original post by shawtyb
both could get you somewhere but i think there more call for law - in terms of job adverts
dont see many for genetics but then again i dont look.
you could persue more routes with law

That's true.
Reply 7
Original post by GovernmentEarner
1. If there's a clear course you enjoy more then do it
2. Otherwise do genetics. I'm saying this because it's much easier for you to do genetics and do a 1 year law conversion course afterwards than it would be for you to do law then go into genetics.

So I can do my bachelors in genetics and if I feel like I want to become a lawyer instead I can enroll in a law conversion course after I graduate with my degree in genetics?
Reply 8
Original post by 04MR17
My advice would be to take it by your career plan.:wink:

Also, I've moved your thread into this sub-forum so you hopefully get the responses you're after.:cool:

Thanks!
So I can do my bachelors in genetics and if I feel like I want to become a lawyer instead I can enroll in a law conversion course after I graduate with my degree in genetics?

Yep, exactly

Just taggng in @Sheffield Hallam University and

University Centre Hastings
x

Hi @kawther30

In general, you should choose the subject that interests you more as you are more likely to be successful. However, as others have suggested, if you study another subject for your degree you can do a law conversion course after you graduate.

Phil
Reply 12
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @kawther30

In general, you should choose the subject that interests you more as you are more likely to be successful. However, as others have suggested, if you study another subject for your degree you can do a law conversion course after you graduate.

Phil

Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply