The Student Room Group

WORSE Russell Group universities?

In my opinion, as a distinguished A-Level student with A*A*AA in Chemistry, Mathematics, Further Mathematics and, Further Additional Mathematics and currently attending The University of Manchester studying Mathematics, I feel that the number of RG universities is far too high.

As a result, I propose a system called 'The Big 8' where you have high succesful universities in this exact order

Manchester
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
UCL
LSE
Edinburgh
Durham

Manchester is a very underrated univeristy, so I am putting it in large font in order to emphasise the greatness of the insitutition that I am currently attending.

In your opinion, which universities should be removed from the RG? I'd say that Liverpool is an absolute disgrace and should be culled with immediate effect.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Manchester...just to piss you off. :/
Remove Manchester and add Bristol or Warwick to that "big 8" group you've made
i n s e c u r e
What is it with students and stroking their egos by promoting their uni and belittling others?

All universities below oxbridge and to a (much) lesser extent ICL/UCL/LSE are the same nobody gives a damn if you went to Manchester, Warwick (tsrs premier circle jerk) or Greenwich - they’re all the same in the eyes of most grad schemes.

This isn’t the US we dont have a ‘big 8’ or even 5 universities, russel group =\= ivy league, we have two elite institutions thats it. Your ex plateglass with a fantastic maths course or your redbrick with like 20 noble laureattes are impressive but nothing special and are no better than other non oxbridge unis.
Bait
Another one of these pathetic threads. No one cares where you go, why do you care where others go. Stop feeding your insecurity trying to get one up on other people about your uni you are so so boring.
Original post by whatuni22234
In my opinion, as a distinguished A-Level student with A*A*AA in Chemistry, Mathematics, Further Mathematics and, Further Additional Mathematics and currently attending The University of Manchester studying Mathematics, I feel that the number of RG universities is far too high.

As a result, I propose a system called 'The Big 8' where you have high succesful universities in this exact order

Manchester
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
UCL
LSE
Edinburgh
Durham

Manchester is a very underrated univeristy, so I am putting it in large font in order to emphasise the greatness of the insitutition that I am currently attending.

In your opinion, which universities should be removed from the RG? I'd say that Liverpool is an absolute disgrace and should be culled with immediate effect.

The ego has landed

Manchester
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
UCL
LSE
Edinburgh
Durham

Why didn't you include your A* in Snobbery in your post, mate?
Your obviously incredibly biased to Manchester, and tbh you are probably trying to make yourself feel better by saying it's the best uni there is.

Manchester
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
UCL
LSE
Edinburgh
Durham

you're a cocky student, but i do agree liverpool shouldn't be a RG uni
Hi Wired_1800, nice to see you're still insecure af enough to perpetuate this big 8 nonsense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah another 'A*A*AA' snob.
Reported you, @Wired_1800, for creating illegal dupes. Poor form.
Yeah they're pretty annoying.
Ah makes sense then
Original post by Princepieman
Hi Wired_1800, nice to see you're still insecure af enough to perpetuate this big 8 nonsense

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't you request an IP comparison to find out? And preferably get a hold of the lad's LinkedIn too, if you wouldn't mind.
Reply 16
Wool behaviour.
Could make the same list and place Nottingham in it, your second tier with my University, Which is Nottingham. Really the only thing that makes you somewhat more prestigious is the fact that your attributed to a larger city. All Russell groups are somewhat similar and other then Oxbridge your simply in the second tier.
Just look at who your external examiner is on your modules *moodle*, you will see its typically a University close to you in the Russell group, for Nottingham, its Sheffield and Warwick and sometimes Birmingham, I bet for Manchester its likely Liverpool and Leeds and York.
Original post by ZiggyStardust_
you're a cocky student, but i do agree liverpool shouldn't be a RG uni

A Russel group university just means they have been widely been known for their research. It dose not actually reflect the level or quality of the astablishment , which is something people are highly unaware of. For example Liverpool is not highly rated or regarded,but it dose have a lot of diffrent research departments. The most famous , is the school of tropical medicine,which is one of the best in the world .

Latest