The Student Room Group

is it ever to late to apply for medicine

So I have been going through a rough time lately questioning everything that has been going on in my life. back to when I was in year 11, I got my GCSE results and I found that I got C's in my science and maths, thus I wasn't allowed to do the A- levels I had wanted. I am 18 now and I have finished my A-levels with an A in Sociology, A in Government and politics and B in Psychology. I just started doing my degree in Politics and Economic. although I do enjoy it somewhat, I have always had this desire to do Biology/get in to medicine. I have also always felt that I have been limited by the labels, but I am aware of the potential I carry. Is it ever to late to change lifes course and apply for medicine? and if I was to turn around and do it, how do I start that change?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
You could apply to medicine via the graduate entry however be aware that it is very competitive also if you do want to do medicine then practice for your medical entrance exams whether you decide to do ukcat or BMAT ( revise for them !!!)

Another option is apply to medical school abroad via medicaldoorway.com - throughly research into medical school abroad as it is a big step

Or you could do a foundation year of medicine but they are quite competitive as well

Final last option is re- do your a-levels and do the required subjects needed to do medicine and ace all your subjects but imo I wouldn’t really do this unless everything else fails , as it’s just effort

Hope this helps !:smile:
Original post by hannah6789
So I have been going through a rough time lately questioning everything that has been going on in my life. back to when I was in year 11, I got my GCSE results and I found that I got C's in my science and maths, thus I wasn't allowed to do the A- levels I had wanted. I am 18 now and I have finished my A-levels with an A in Sociology, A in Government and politics and B in Psychology. I just started doing my degree in Politics and Economic. although I do enjoy it somewhat, I have always had this desire to do Biology/get in to medicine. I have also always felt that I have been limited by the labels, but I am aware of the potential I carry. Is it ever to late to change lifes course and apply for medicine? and if I was to turn around and do it, how do I start that change?

I've read stories of being starting their undergraduate medicine degrees in their 40s so it's definitely not too late! Although, the Cs in GCSE Maths and English will most likely hinder your application but you can do them alongside A levels, when you do the ones you need to get into medicine.

Speaking of doing the ones you need, have you looked around your area for any colleges that let people do A level sciences even though they got Cs in GCSE Maths and English? I got a C in GCSE English and they let me do A level biology! You definitely need to do Chemistry and Biology (Or maybe just Biology?) alongside Maths which would be a good one to have under your belt

Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by hannah6789

I have a very similar story to you and studying now to retake my GCSE's this summer (Maths, English, Science). I'm 23 and hoping to take A-Levels next year; I'll be 25/26 by the time I apply! You have ample time to get to where you want to be, just choose a path and work really hard:biggrin: Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest