The Student Room Group

Anyone here have any experience with shared housing?

So I'm going into third year next year (2018/19) and as it stands at the moment it looks like I'm not going to have anyone to move in with, as the people I'm living with currently are going on placement.

I've been looking at various options, looking at advertisements for spare rooms (although it's a little early), private accommodation and shared housing.

I'm not really into the idea of going back into student accomodation, and would rather continue living in a house next year, so shared housing seems like a pretty good idea (single contract).

That said I'd like to see if anyone has any experience living in shared housing and what they thought.
Original post by Legend26
So I'm going into third year next year (2018/19) and as it stands at the moment it looks like I'm not going to have anyone to move in with, as the people I'm living with currently are going on placement.

I've been looking at various options, looking at advertisements for spare rooms (although it's a little early), private accommodation and shared housing.

I'm not really into the idea of going back into student accomodation, and would rather continue living in a house next year, so shared housing seems like a pretty good idea (single contract).

That said I'd like to see if anyone has any experience living in shared housing and what they thought.

What do you mean by what people think? Its not too early to look or advertise for like minded people. IF you rent from scratch with others then that can ve vetter than joining a pre arranged house where you are the spare.

If you havent done it before, then remember its 52 weeks and you will need a deposit.
I lived in a childrens home for a year when I was 15, so I kinda understand. Its alright as long as you trust the people you are living with, and you keep open communication and don't become stagnant friends who happen to live under 1 roof. You also need people who are considerate and have empathy, people who will keep the noise down at night and respect your privacy. It also helps to have housemates who keep the surrounding areas clean like kitchens, hallways and bathrooms espeacially. Even if you don't like your housemates, its best to get along with them, as your in it together now wether you like it or not. Try to keep out of drama between housemates if possible as well, because that can get very ugly very fast. Anyways, I hope you like the people your going to be sharing accomodations with, as its really up to your interpretation.
Almost everyone who's at/gone to uni will have experienced shared housing as in your second and final years you're expected to move out of student accommodation and find a house to share. Most people will start looking for a house with people they already live with or know through university but some, like yourself, will have to look for single rooms in a house with strangers. It'll be pot luck who you find, essentially, but this doesn't always have to be a bad thing, you might find great people, you might not. Even moving in with people you already know can be a mistake as living with someone is completely different from just being friends with them.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending