The Student Room Group

Deadline extension? Advise pls!

Last year I took a gap year at the start of my final year because of issues of my mental health, and have come back this year to complete the year. I feel a lot better, however I've been having problems with anxiety & insomnia the last week and its really effecting my studies...

I had an exam on Friday and I have a deadline on Tuesday but I'm really struggling keeping on top of the work... I emailed my module supervisor to ask for an extension but I'm just really anxious waiting for a reply.

I contacted my DR who said they will get back to me tomorrow or Tuesday. If I can provide uni with a doctors letter, is there any chance that I won't be able to get an extension? The uni are aware of my mental health issues and that I dropped out due to them last year, but I'm just really not sure of the process and if mental health is a good enough reason so close to the deadline...

Any advice would be great!
Original post by fkfkj
Last year I took a gap year at the start of my final year because of issues of my mental health, and have come back this year to complete the year. I feel a lot better, however I've been having problems with anxiety & insomnia the last week and its really effecting my studies...

I had an exam on Friday and I have a deadline on Tuesday but I'm really struggling keeping on top of the work... I emailed my module supervisor to ask for an extension but I'm just really anxious waiting for a reply.

I contacted my DR who said they will get back to me tomorrow or Tuesday. If I can provide uni with a doctors letter, is there any chance that I won't be able to get an extension? The uni are aware of my mental health issues and that I dropped out due to them last year, but I'm just really not sure of the process and if mental health is a good enough reason so close to the deadline...

Any advice would be great!

It all depends on your uni but there should be something in a university handbook explaining when you can get one
Hello!

I don't think uni will be this mean to not give you an extension. Just make sure you can explain in your own words in what ways anxiety affects your coursework (at least, this is what my uni always asks me to do) and it will be fine.

Good luck with it!
Reply 3
Original post by Historian1789
Hello!

I don't think uni will be this mean to not give you an extension. Just make sure you can explain in your own words in what ways anxiety affects your coursework (at least, this is what my uni always asks me to do) and it will be fine.

Good luck with it!

Thanks for your advice! I'm sitting here trying to work right now and its just not happening. I haven't even started - if I do nothing tonight and don't get the extension I'm ****ed :frown:
Original post by fkfkj
Thanks for your advice! I'm sitting here trying to work right now and its just not happening. I haven't even started - if I do nothing tonight and don't get the extension I'm ****ed :frown:

Very relatable. Trying to work knowing that your extension is not secured must be hell:unsure:

Do you have something like "Student Support & Wellbeing Service" at uni? Or another psychological service, that can help you relieve anxiety?
Can you write to your school and ask, when will you know the decision on extension?

Quick Reply

Latest