English Emperor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I am currently in Year 11 about to take my mocks and I just can't push myself to revise effectively or at all... I hear my teachers go on and on about how you need to revise and I just don't now where to start... I've made a revision timetable but I cant stick to it... its just there, staring at me ...

I hear my friends talk about what they are going to revise when they get home and I'm just there nodding likes its normal for me to do exactly that when in reality, I don't really know what I do when I get home... I'm gonna just cut this short now as its getting quite long but CAN ANYONE HELP ME GET INTO THE RIGHT MINDSET TO DO REVISION, PLEASE
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by English Emperor)
Hi, I am currently in Year 11 about to take my mocks and I just can't push myself to revise effectively or at all... I hear my teachers go on and on about how you need to revise and I just don't now where to start... I've made a revision timetable but I cant stick to it... its just there, staring at me ...

I hear my friends talk about what they are going to revise when they get home and I'm just there nodding likes its normal for me to do exactly that when in reality, I don't really know what I do when I get home... I'm gonna just cut this short now as its getting quite long but CAN ANYONE HELP ME GET INTO THE RIGHT MINDSET TO DO REVISION, PLEASE
I am having this exact same problem, my brain simply doesn't give two ****s about revision, it's no good trying to force myself to revise as I will not be able to memorize anything.
ryukk
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
=English Emperor;74659510]Hi, I am currently in Year 11 about to take my mocks and I just can't push myself to revise effectively or at all... I hear my teachers go on and on about how you need to revise and I just don't now where to start... I've made a revision timetable but I cant stick to it... its just there, staring at me ...

I hear my friends talk about what they are going to revise when they get home and I'm just there nodding likes its normal for me to do exactly that when in reality, I don't really know what I do when I get home... I'm gonna just cut this short now as its getting quite long but CAN ANYONE HELP ME GET INTO THE RIGHT MINDSET TO DO REVISION, PLEASE[/QUOTE]

Revise smart.
Do about 45 minutes of effective revision and a 10-minute break. Not 10 min revision and 45 min breaks!

Also give yourself a deadline-eg

MATHS AT 4:30 -EDEXCEL PAST PAPER
AFTER THIS, ONE EPISODE OF YOUR SHOW

Put motivational quotes as your DP on phone or computer or around the house: "Don't stop when tired, stop when done!"

Listen to motivational speeches to inspire you. GCSE's are no joke. If you want to succeed in life, it won't come knocking on the door- you earn it.

Revise with friends if you like.
Good luck and REVISE! You can do it.
Vanilla Twilight
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Make revising fun. You're not gonna wanna sit down and do it if you think of it like a chore. If you find highlighters and new stationary motivates you, go out and buy some. If you need small rewards like breaks or you-tube videos to motivate you, incorporate them into your study plan. The most important thing is to like what you're studying. I know that can be hard, especially at GCSE, but there must be some things that you like in each of your subject, so try to really get to know them and enjoy them as best you can. If you like what you're learning, revising will be easy.
Natia_awa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey! Though I suffer from a terrible illness called procrastination, I have a few tips that may help!
1) Create a working environment. Don't revise on your bed or in a messy room. Revise in a clean room and AT A DESK. Revising on your bed or on a sofa or whatever personally make me really lazy.. so don't do that.
2) Set yourself goals and rewards. Remind yourself why you are revising. Imagine yourself getting high results on a test. Feelin' proud right? You can also reward yourself for revising. For example, if you learn two pages of information, you can go on your phone for 10 minutes. But remember! you have to be strict with yourself. Discipline is key.
3) Turn off your phone when revising. That why you won't be tempted to scroll through social media. I recommend an app to install on your phone called 'Forest' which plants little trees when you revise. If you leave the page, you brutally massacre your beloved plant. You don't want that do you?
4)When you finally begin revising, break everything down. Let's say you need to revise Chemistry. Break that down into sub topics, so, the periodic table, bonding, moles, electrolysis, etc. Then break THOSE down into even smaller sections. So The Periodic Table changes to The History of the table, elements, the atom, and so on.
Hope that helped and wish you the best of luck!
English Emperor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The thing is I don’t know how TO revise... I can’t just sit at a table and revise... I just can’t do it, I don’t really know how to explain it I just can’t do it... is that bad???
computuring
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Start with the most fun/easy things to revise, that'll motivate you to properly revise.
The first things i revised were maths (went through class notes annotating with coloured pens), english lang (making notes from mrbfuff's playlist), spanish (making grammar tables on word), physics (making flashcards for all the equations).
Now i've started making history notes, which are a lot harder and time consuming, but it's a lot easier when i feel like i've already done lots of revision, it's like it's less of a mountain to climb.
CaitlinM1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As someone who's done a LOT of exams and been in a similar situation, I would recommend that you don't force yourself to revise as it becomes a chore so you in turn don't learn anything, allow yourself to chose when you want to revise and by making revision fun you'll chose to do it much more often. To make my revision a wee bit less painful I create mindmaps using colours or sticking images on and then sticking them to my walls so that every time I pass them I am reminded, posters help in this way too!
Try using prompt cards, YouTube videos and only resources to see what way works best for you! Good luck!
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Make a committed decision to do so, thismeans you make it priority in your life with a consequence so bad you'll do it. The consequence is something which scares you.

Make time to do it- ie on the bus, over breakfast etc, and get into the habit.

Start with 5 minutes and build up to 20 with 5 minute breaks in between.

Make it fun
LibraStarsXo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by English Emperor)

I can relate to you, sometimes I procastinate and I can't find the bother to go through the long processes of revision, HOWEVER what really motivates me and might work effectively for you, is to watch peoples' gcse results videos. Because when you see some y11s getting amazing marks, it makes you want to be like them, and do the revision more effectively. In terms of studying, i find fun ways to study different subjects such as online games and tests. I recommend quizlet for foreign languages, reading your english lit books, doing math games or watching videos on mymaths or mathsgenie, or whatever. Try and look for fun and non-daunting ways to study so you're not exhausted while being productive. I'm also guilty of this but try to sleep earlier and wake up earlier as you're more likely to feel more energy and more motivation. I also meditate which helps. I hope this helps you out in some way and good luck for GCSES!
labaja
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
watch a motivational video everyday
lak11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can so relate!!! During my mocks i procrastinated a lot and didn't revise that much, even though now the grades i got is decent for the revision i did, i wished i tried harder. I would say just tell your brain to just do it! easier said than done i understand but just go "Listen brain, i have to do well so help me revise please!!" okay that is weird but you get what i mean!! Just do it and have something to look forward to after revision so thats like a motivator! i really have no clue if that helped but yeah sorry if it didnt!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (70)
67.31%
I don't have everything I need (34)
32.69%

Watched Threads