Role of magistrates Watch

leena12345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What is the role of magistrates in court?
I need this for citizenship
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
BlameMichaelGove
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When a criminal suspect is charged under CPS authorisation, the suspect will be presented in front of a magistrate (either over webcam or in person), usually within. day or two. A magistrate will listen to the initial evidence of a case- if it's a serious crime like a violent, sexual or high-capital crime and there's sufficient evidence, the magistrate will hand it over to the Crown Court for a trial-by-Jury. The Magistrate will also make the decision whether or not the suspected offender should be remanded in custody (stay in a cell until trial) or be released on bail (allowed to go, usually for a deposit and under certain conditions). In more minor offences, magistrates can give a fine, a custodial sentence of unto three months per offence, six total o community service for low level crimes. Magistrates' Courts have three magistrates, one of whom is in charge- they're unpaid and volunteer- as well as a paid legal adviser who is impartial and advises magistrates on the law. From the Government website:

"Magistrates are volunteers who hear cases in courts in their community. They can hear cases in the criminal court, the family court, or both.
Each case is usually heard by 3 magistrates, including a magistrate who is trained to act as a chairperson.
A legal adviser in the court gives advice on the law and makes sure the magistrates follow the right procedures.
Criminal cases

All criminal cases begin in a magistrates’ court.
Magistrates pass the most serious crimes (for example murder, rape and robbery) to the Crown Court. Magistrates decide if the defendant should be:
  • kept in custody - for example in a police or court cell
  • let out on strict conditions - for example to keep away from named places or people

Magistrates deal with crimes like:
  • minor assaults
  • motoring offences
  • theft
  • handling stolen goods
  • TV licence evasion

Magistrates can give punishments such as:
  • fines
  • unpaid work in the community
  • prison for up to 6 months (or up to 12 months for more than 1 crime)

Family cases

Magistrates can also hear cases at a family court.
These magistrates deal with cases about children. They can:
  • arrange for a child to be taken into care or put up for adoption
  • help separated parents make arrangements for their children
  • enforce child maintenance orders
  • make court orders to prevent domestic abuse

These magistrates can get advice from the child’s guardian or a family court adviser during the case."
leena12345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (46)
9.22%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.81%
No, but I want to start (177)
35.47%
No, I am unable to (117)
23.45%
No, I chose not to (145)
29.06%