The Student Room Group

Degrees and Apprenticeships

I would much prefer to do an apprenticeship for my future career instead of going to university, but would having a degree (and a masters potentially) give me a better chance of having a higher pay than having an apprenticeship?

The career that I would like to go into has a really low pay and I’m completely fine with that, but I would still like to live comfortably and was wondering if having an apprenticeship over a degree may mean that my pay would be lower?

In other words do employers pay people with masters or degrees more than Apprenticeships?
no, your main skills are nothing to do with education though it really depends on the career you want, what career do you want?
@jamesgillian123 I would like to go into an international Development career/ social activism (working with communities to develop their country)
Original post by LaurenHannahL
@jamesgillian123 I would like to go into an international Development career/ social activism (working with communities to develop their country)

all the info you need is on google.

"Entry without a degree is unlikely unless applicants have substantial relevant experience."

"Many people who enter this area of work have a degree in social sciences or a relevant vocational subject, although not all posts require a particular degree."

"It is a good idea to get some work experience in development before starting a postgraduate course."

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/international-aid-development-worker
Original post by jamesgillian123
all the info you need is on google.

"Entry without a degree is unlikely unless applicants have substantial relevant experience."

"Many people who enter this area of work have a degree in social sciences or a relevant vocational subject, although not all posts require a particular degree."

"It is a good idea to get some work experience in development before starting a postgraduate course."

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/international-aid-development-worker

I have applied for university and have offers, I would just much prefer to do an apprenticeship so was wondering how it would impact wage.
I have applied for university and have offers, I would just much prefer to do an apprenticeship so was wondering how it would impact wage.

you need to be able to research this.
look on gov.uk and findmyfirstjob for apprenticeships
look at organizations and what they look for
look at what big companies pay
compare them to apprenticeships

https://www.bond.org.uk/jobs/intern-global-policy-and-advocacy-20171117
Original post by jamesgillian123
you need to be able to research this.
look on gov.uk and findmyfirstjob for apprenticeships
look at organizations and what they look for
look at what big companies pay
compare them to apprenticeships

https://www.bond.org.uk/jobs/intern-global-policy-and-advocacy-20171117

Thanks so much!!
I would much prefer to do an apprenticeship for my future career instead of going to university, but would having a degree (and a masters potentially) give me a better chance of having a higher pay than having an apprenticeship?

The career that I would like to go into has a really low pay and I’m completely fine with that, but I would still like to live comfortably and was wondering if having an apprenticeship over a degree may mean that my pay would be lower?

In other words do employers pay people with masters or degrees more than Apprenticeships?

Just tagging in @Apprenticeships Advice @Sheffield Hallam University

University Centre Hastings
x

Hi there,

Both degrees and Apprenticeships are well-respected by employers. Recentr esearch by the Sutton Trust has also shown that top apprentices can earn thousands more in their lifetime than those with a degree from a university - sometimes as much as £52,00 more in a lifetime. I know here at University Centre Hastings we've seen our Apprentices go on to achieve great things.

However, it can depend on what field you're going in to, as
@jamesgillian123 points out - you do need to do your research. University can allow you to go in to a broader range of careers than an Apprenticeship, which tends to be focused on one career or industry. And some jobs do require a degree.

You say you're interested in social activism or helping disadvantaged people, which can take a many forms. What do you imagine yourself doing? Could an Apprenticeship give you the skills to do it?

Jordan

The earning potential of university graduates and apprentices has been examined in recent research by The Sutton Trust, which found that top apprentices can expect to earn thousands more in their lifetime than undergraduates from a non-Russell Group university.
In fact, those who opt to study for a level 5 higher apprenticeship will earn £1.5million during the course of their career, almost £52,000 more than graduates from non-elite universities who can expect to earn £1.4million. However, students from top Russell Group universities come out on top with estimated lifetime earnings of £1.6million.

Hi @LaurenHannahL

You could look for a degree apprenticeship in the area that interests you. This would allow you to have the best of both worlds as you could study for degree while working.

Phil
Original post by University Centre Hastings
Hi there,

Both degrees and Apprenticeships are well-respected by employers. Recentr esearch by the Sutton Trust has also shown that top apprentices can earn thousands more in their lifetime than those with a degree from a university - sometimes as much as £52,00 more in a lifetime. I know here at University Centre Hastings we've seen our Apprentices go on to achieve great things.

However, it can depend on what field you're going in to, as
@jamesgillian123 points out - you do need to do your research. University can allow you to go in to a broader range of careers than an Apprenticeship, which tends to be focused on one career or industry. And some jobs do require a degree.

You say you're interested in social activism or helping disadvantaged people, which can take a many forms. What do you imagine yourself doing? Could an Apprenticeship give you the skills to do it?

Jordan

The earning potential of university graduates and apprentices has been examined in recent research by The Sutton Trust, which found that top apprentices can expect to earn thousands more in their lifetime than undergraduates from a non-Russell Group university.
In fact, those who opt to study for a level 5 higher apprenticeship will earn £1.5million during the course of their career, almost £52,000 more than graduates from non-elite universities who can expect to earn £1.4million. However, students from top Russell Group universities come out on top with estimated lifetime earnings of £1.6million.

Hi, thanks for your reply! I hope to work with communities and youth in an African country and help them to get rid of poverty.
Hi, thanks for your reply! I hope to work with communities and youth in an African country and help them to get rid of poverty.

That sounds like a great thing to do, and really rewarding. The reason I asked is I know that a lot of skills like construction and engineering can be used in that field, and I was wondering if that would be a good link to an Apprenticeship for you? Otherwise, a degree might be the way to go. What do you think?
Original post by University Centre Hastings
That sounds like a great thing to do, and really rewarding. The reason I asked is I know that a lot of skills like construction and engineering can be used in that field, and I was wondering if that would be a good link to an Apprenticeship for you? Otherwise, a degree might be the way to go. What do you think?

I think I might stick with the degree, I don’t think construction would be right for me, but thanks for helping!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending