Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

so let me explain this:

Everytime i walk alone, i have to align my feet to an even number, and when theres a differentiation in the path (ie a drain) i have to align atleast 1 of my feet with the start of the train where its perpendicular, this happens all the time.

it also happens in general, whenever i hear words i have to make sure the syllables end in an even note, for example:

"i ate a nice big pizza"
    - its got uneven syllables, and i have to repeat everything in my head and add words to make it even.
    "i ate a nice big cheese pizza"
    its really irritaing and weird, i lose attention of what the words mean but rather equalizing the syllables, ill even move parts of my body to keep track of wether its an uneven or positive syllalble. for ex ill move my left shoulder up on syllable 1 , right shoulder up on 2, left shoulder down on 3, right shoulder down on 4 etc.

Its really weird and its actually negatively affecting me, i cant listen to people , i look like an idiot walking when i suddenly speed up / slow down to walk on the perpendicular point of a drain, or where a different material starts. please help!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    so let me explain this:

Everytime i walk alone, i have to align my feet to an even number, and when theres a differentiation in the path (ie a drain) i have to align atleast 1 of my feet with the start of the train where its perpendicular, this happens all the time.

it also happens in general, whenever i hear words i have to make sure the syllables end in an even note, for example:

"i ate a nice big pizza"
    - its got uneven syllables, and i have to repeat everything in my head and add words to make it even.
    "i ate a nice big cheese pizza"
    its really irritaing and weird, i lose attention of what the words mean but rather equalizing the syllables, ill even move parts of my body to keep track of wether its an uneven or positive syllalble. for ex ill move my left shoulder up on syllable 1 , right shoulder up on 2, left shoulder down on 3, right shoulder down on 4 etc.

Its really weird and its actually negatively affecting me, i cant listen to people , i look like an idiot walking when i suddenly speed up / slow down to walk on the perpendicular point of a drain, or where a different material starts. please help!
    I suggest you talk to your doctor about it and ask about the possibility of therapy.
    You can also check out some info and advice on mind.org, sane.org and ocduk.
    It might also help to tell at least somebody about it. It can be a big relief to have even one person you don't need to hide things as much around.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

crikey that must be annoying!

(Original post by Kindred)
    I suggest you talk to your doctor about it and ask about the possibility of therapy.
    You can also check out some info and advice on mind.org, sane.org and ocduk.
    It might also help to tell at least somebody about it. It can be a big relief to have even one person you don't need to hide things as much around.
    crikey that must be annoying!
    thanks for the replies, does this have a name? has anyone else had this?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    thanks for the replies, does this have a name? has anyone else had this?
    Well it could be OCD. That's what it sounds like, but only a doctor would be able to diagnose it.
    Some of what do described sounds similar to my experiences. I had OCD for a while (it's managed now). Therapy helped me quite a bit, as did reducing my stress (I also had depression at the time).

ReputationRep:
    I have OCD tendencies like not using the knives and forks at the bottom of the draw because I think it's unclean down there (a random hair or whatever) and I often count things to be symmetrical, like if I move a my ring finger on my left hand I might then feel the need to do it on my right hand and then the rest of the fingers in the same way. As long as it's not really damaging like thinking your family will die if you don't flip the light switch 22 times (I think I've heard of that being a real problem for a person) then you can just fight it in your own way. For example, I'll catch myself about to do the finger thing or something similar and instead halt it or purposely make the count in my head unsymmetrical or using the knives and forks that I wouldn't use as otherwise I might go without eating dinner or breakfast as I have many times before.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.