The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This is really impressive @physicseastldn I'm in year 9 and i'm thinking about durham or oxford now because of the brilliant club
Original post by physicseastldn
I have 4 completed gcses already however there was a dispute between one of my sixth form colleges when I announced I am taking 3 maths gcses at the same time (IGCSE Edexcel, GCSE Edexcel, FSMQ AQA)
Does this show my passion for maths or just my need for extra qualifications?

Yeah no point doing IGs and GCSEs. Taking just the last 2 is good though.
Literally no uni will care. The only reason you do this is for the interest to yourself.
Actually yeah this guy has gotta be trolling.
Original post by black1blade
Actually yeah this guy has gotta be trolling.

Well I've fallen for it hard :|
I wish my parents could afford private school
Reply 25
@physicseastldn Have you visited Oxford or Cambridge yet? If not please do that as it will definitely give you a clearer idea of which one you prefer. Between these two universities there isn't any "best", that's why it's Oxbridge in a way. From the moment you get into any of these two universities if you want to have a successful life and idk what - you're fine. Honestly one of the most important parts of uni is just to enjoy the experience, it's a one-time thing where you'll be meeting amazing people and all so yeah that's a factor to take in account as well.

As @DrSebWilkes said, please change your attitude. You're being quite immature and aren't flexible to other people's advice and opinion, please change this type of mindset.
I used the wrong word when I said "perfect". I just want an exceptional application which will be successful to both institutions.
Original post by Moonzyx
@physicseastldn Have you visited Oxford or Cambridge yet? If not please do that as it will definitely give you a clearer idea of which one you prefer. Between these two universities there isn't any "best", that's why it's Oxbridge in a way. From the moment you get into any of these two universities if you want to have a successful life and idk what - you're fine. Honestly one of the most important parts of uni is just to enjoy the experience, it's a one-time thing where you'll be meeting amazing people and all so yeah that's a factor to take in account as well.

As @DrSebWilkes said, please change your attitude. You're being quite immature and aren't flexible to other people's advice and opinion, please change this type of mindset.

I have stayed in Somerville College for 2 weeks as part the ORA. This was just Oxford only. I think my reference recommending the Engineering Introduction course is still featured on the site. My name is Johann.
Original post by itsaaliyahxo
I wish my parents could afford private school

My parents cannot afford private school. I'm applying for bursaries. My application to harrow was very strong however I do believe my financial circumstances prevented me from gaining a place. I stated that "i only will accept a 100% bursary offer place"
Original post by carpetguy
Yeah no point doing IGs and GCSEs. Taking just the last 2 is good though.
Literally no uni will care. The only reason you do this is for the interest to yourself.

It will just look like 15A*/9/8's on the application.
Since you're doing real subjects like Maths and Physics, you should really hold off on these decisions because you're going to learn so much this year (and probably have already) which will make you realise a whole lot of things and understand your subjects a lot more. You can make better informed uni choices nearer the time - it still ends up being the exact same prep at this stage so clam.
NB: just read op again. So you haven't even got to penultimate year yet. Definitely wait. Next year you will learn more than you did in the past 3 years in your subjects if you really do care about them.

Biology.
It will just look like 15A*/9/8's on the application.

Still won't care. Sorry, it's fact :/
If I was you, I wouldn't focus on your 'super-curricular' stuff, unless it is to do with physics/maths. Work experience is fine, but Oxbridge do not really care about anything that isn't directly to do with your chosen degree. You could have found the cure for AIDS and could still be rejected for maths if you're not good enough. I'd do an EPQ on physics/maths, as that will give you more of a taste of what uni will be like, and a good grade on that looks good. Generally, Cambridge is stereotypically better for science, then oxford and imperial. I'd look around both and see what you prefer. However, you still have 2 years, so I'd focus on getting the best GCSE's possible. An exceptional personal statement can be overlooked if someone else has exceptional GCSEs/AS grades etc.
Still won't care. Sorry, it's fact :/

So you say.
I don't understand why everyone is being so salty in this thread
I want to prepare early and have an excellent application because I have understood my calling at quite a young age.
Your problem is...?
So you say.
I don't understand why everyone is being so salty in this thread
I want to prepare early and have an excellent application because I have understood my calling at quite a young age.
Your problem is...?

Well you should be trying to figure out how you've managed to piss off every single one of us nice people.
You seem smart, and Maths with Physics is my subject too. I don't want you to waste your life and time.
Original post by jamesj477
If I was you, I wouldn't focus on your 'super-curricular' stuff, unless it is to do with physics/maths. Work experience is fine, but Oxbridge do not really care about anything that isn't directly to do with your chosen degree. You could have found the cure for AIDS and could still be rejected for maths if you're not good enough. I'd do an EPQ on physics/maths, as that will give you more of a taste of what uni will be like, and a good grade on that looks good. Generally, Cambridge is stereotypically better for science, then oxford and imperial. I'd look around both and see what you prefer. However, you still have 2 years, so I'd focus on getting the best GCSE's possible. An exceptional personal statement can be overlooked if someone else has exceptional GCSEs/AS grades etc.

Yes I understand that, I just want to enhance my personal statement by talking about the multiples of work experiences I took relating to the course I have chosen at a young age. Instead of saying "from a young age I've been interested in X and read Y."

I want to say something along the lines of "I participated in the UKMT maths challenge... received a silver in year 8... junior maths..."

"in year 10.... I attended an engineering introduction course at ORA...."

"In year 11... I organized my own work experience... at city airport (have not done this yet under 16)"
Well you should be trying to figure out how you've managed to piss off every single one of us nice people.
You seem smart, and Maths with Physics is my subject too. I don't want you to waste your life and time.

There is nothing that has been said in this thread that I wouldn't have been able to get from one of my tutors. Therefore I don't understand why they feel so entitled to tell me how my attitude will affect my chances. Fact of the matter is I send paper applications to oxford, and quite a lot of good-hearted people miss out on oxford or cambridge. Don't understand how this would affect me. Sorry for my confidence.
This thread was titled "can't decide" because I wanted those to comment whether or not I should choose oxford or cambridge.
Or whether or not I should pursue stanford.
Troll thread... decent one too

"I go to sleep every night thinking where should I go" 4/10
(edited 6 years ago)
I just have to focus on meeting my offer for Eton and Latymer right now.
I'm sorry for any distress my confidence may have caused to any individual as a result of reading this thread.
I don't know why I am like this. I am actually a very humble person when removed from academics.
I just an interview invitation from Cambridge (not quite as impressive as getting one from Oxford as Cambridge interview more) and all I wrote about on my personal statement was physics I find interesting and I mentioned getting a merit in the a2 physics challenge and a gold in the lower sixth chemistry challenge, that's all.

Latest

Trending

Trending