Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm transgender and I choose that in my ucas aswell as gay
    Will my teachers see this?

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea but does that matter at all? Who cares what others think.

edit: If they do know and this is inhibiting your work or they are treating you differently than others (in a bad way) then tell someone higher up in the uni.

ReputationRep:
    You have to put your sexuality in your UCAS form?? (I’ve never filled out one)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkeyman0121)
    I have no idea but does that matter at all? Who cares what others think.

edit: If they do know and this is inhibiting your work or they are treating you differently than others (in a bad way) then tell someone higher up in the uni.
    I care I dont want my teachers to know

ReputationRep:
    Yup I think they do. I remember going through UCAS with one of the admissions ladies and I think they pretty much see your whole application. I could be wrong though.
    Doonesbury ?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who has access to your UCAS profile can see its contents, unless it says it's hidden. Most often it's used for statistical and equality reasons and isn't really linked to you. It certainly shouldn't cause your application to be favoured or dismissed, but you may be contacted by a Uni LGBT union if your app is successful. If you prefer to keep that info private, select Prefer Not to State or leave it blank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenfourtyfour)
    I care I dont want my teachers to know
    why?

ReputationRep:
    Your referee definitely will, as well as anyone else who checks your UCAS

ReputationRep:
    Yes they will, but they make it incredibly obvious that it's a completely optional thing to fill out. Why did you if you didn't want that information disclosed with those who will read your form?

ReputationRep:
    There's usually an option for rather not say, but if it's too late for that don't stress. They probably see hundreds of applications a year. Odds are even if they pay attention to that bit and they happen to remember that one of their students is non-straight/non-cis, they won't remember which one. I put bisexual on mine, and I get it's different for you but I'm hardly expecting my teacher to point at me on day one and go "hey, you! Saw your UCAS! Still bi?"

ReputationRep:
    The person who sends of your UCAS form, (usually your head of sixth form) will see this, yes. No other teachers will.

ReputationRep:
    No. See UCAS declaration - scroll down to section k - this makes it clear that this information is not visible to the school or college:

Where you apply or link your application through your school, college or UCAS registered centre, they will be able to access the content of your application, including information on your acceptance to a university or college, or if you are ultimately unplaced. This will allow your school or college to support you in submitting your application and to hold information on its outcome. They will not be able to amend your application or see any information you provide about your sexual orientation, gender identity or religious belief. You can also allow your school, college or UCAS registered centre to keep up-to-date with the progress of your application after it has been submitted.

If you scroll down further still, you will see that the unis only get to see thi s information after you have secured a place or at the end of the application cycle.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.