Can someone help me with my personal statement??

Watch
This discussion is closed.
HeartBlink
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am struggling to think of what to write, and I cannot find the right words to use...My vocabulary is so **** :cry:

I am applying for biomedical science, and I am so behind!

Is it okay if I write that I had kidney problems as a child, and it made me want to learn more about it?
Maivnek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sure, anything that sparked your interest in the subject is worth including. TSR has a lot of PS examples you could look at for inspiration.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...nal_Statements
Escherichiaaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you haven't already, do some wider reading and write about that - write about why you were interested in it, what you learnt from it, what particularly interested you about what you read, and what you now want to learn more about (i.e. why you want to go and study Biomed at Uni basically). Basically read smth, reflect on it + discuss it in depth.

Any experiences you've had relating to Biomed are great to write about too, e.g. work experience, Uni taster days, lectures, even stuff you've learnt in class. What's even better is if you tie this to something you've read.

It should be ok to write about your kidney problems etc. but I'd be careful writing stuff like 'Ever since I was a child I've wanted to study this blah blah blah' because Unis assume that you are obviously devoted to your subject and know it's your one true calling in life etc etc. For example, I didn't write about my childhood love of chemistry because they don't tend to like that sort of thing and because it would've been super cringe ahaha. Your example is probs a bit better than mine would've been, but even so I'd still write about experiences, wider reading, etc. instead.
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I applied for biomed this year too! I currently have 3 offers and 1 interview and I'm basically guaranteed the other because it's much lower than my predicted grades so I must've done something right with my PS!

First off, don't try to make your statement too articulate and use a thesaurus on every word! They want to see you so use words that you would actually use in conversation as it's personal. Obviously don't go off with slang or anything but don't worry about making it sound like an academic essay or anything.

I wrote my intro last but it was basically why I want to do biomed/microbiology and how my interest sparked in it. It was short and snappy, nothing too important!

My next paragraph was on my A Levels saying what skills I had learned from each one such as practical skills from bio and chem and analysis and evaluation from psych. I briefly mentioned my favourite parts of the courses such as immunology and drug addiction. Try to link each of your subjects to your chosen course which may seem hard if they're not too related (e.g. I did religious studies and mentioned the ethics of science and stuff).

I next wrote about stuff I had done beyond the course. My college entered me (without my knowledge till the day before the due date I might add) in a science essay competition and I wrote about the skills I had gained from it and the insights I had gained from the research. If you have done any further reading or anything like a free online course or lectures then include these and how they interested you and what skills you gained from them!

I then wrote about my EPQ and went off on a bit of a ramble about my topic and (again) the skills I developed from it. If you did/are doing an EPQ then the PS is a great place to go in depth about it!

I went on to talk about some experience I had on it (e.g. two weeks in a lab and a taster day at Newcastle university) and the skills and how it helped me decide what I wanted to do in the future. If you know what you want to do with your degree you can mention this in here as it shows you've really thought about it.

My outro was pretty short too basically just saying why I think uni is for me and how I will not waste the opportunity.

I hope I've helped and if you have anymore questions just ask!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LunaCat)
I am struggling to think of what to write, and I cannot find the right words to use...My vocabulary is so **** :cry:

I am applying for biomedical science, and I am so behind!

Is it okay if I write that I had kidney problems as a child, and it made me want to learn more about it?
Universities aren’t looking for fancy vocabulary. They want to hear what you are interested in studying in your own voice.

If you’re struggling with writing then try talking to someone and recording the conversation on your phone. Then write down your words.
HeartBlink
Rep:
?
(Original post by yeahthatonethere)
I applied for biomed this year too! I currently have 3 offers and 1 interview and I'm basically guaranteed the other because it's much lower than my predicted grades so I must've done something right with my PS!

First off, don't try to make your statement too articulate and use a thesaurus on every word! They want to see you so use words that you would actually use in conversation as it's personal. Obviously don't go off with slang or anything but don't worry about making it sound like an academic essay or anything.

I wrote my intro last but it was basically why I want to do biomed/microbiology and how my interest sparked in it. It was short and snappy, nothing too important!

My next paragraph was on my A Levels saying what skills I had learned from each one such as practical skills from bio and chem and analysis and evaluation from psych. I briefly mentioned my favourite parts of the courses such as immunology and drug addiction. Try to link each of your subjects to your chosen course which may seem hard if they're not too related (e.g. I did religious studies and mentioned the ethics of science and stuff).

I next wrote about stuff I had done beyond the course. My college entered me (without my knowledge till the day before the due date I might add) in a science essay competition and I wrote about the skills I had gained from it and the insights I had gained from the research. If you have done any further reading or anything like a free online course or lectures then include these and how they interested you and what skills you gained from them!

I then wrote about my EPQ and went off on a bit of a ramble about my topic and (again) the skills I developed from it. If you did/are doing an EPQ then the PS is a great place to go in depth about it!

I went on to talk about some experience I had on it (e.g. two weeks in a lab and a taster day at Newcastle university) and the skills and how it helped me decide what I wanted to do in the future. If you know what you want to do with your degree you can mention this in here as it shows you've really thought about it.

My outro was pretty short too basically just saying why I think uni is for me and how I will not waste the opportunity.

I hope I've helped and if you have anymore questions just ask!
(Original post by Escherichiaaa)
If you haven't already, do some wider reading and write about that - write about why you were interested in it, what you learnt from it, what particularly interested you about what you read, and what you now want to learn more about (i.e. why you want to go and study Biomed at Uni basically). Basically read smth, reflect on it + discuss it in depth.

Any experiences you've had relating to Biomed are great to write about too, e.g. work experience, Uni taster days, lectures, even stuff you've learnt in class. What's even better is if you tie this to something you've read.

It should be ok to write about your kidney problems etc. but I'd be careful writing stuff like 'Ever since I was a child I've wanted to study this blah blah blah' because Unis assume that you are obviously devoted to your subject and know it's your one true calling in life etc etc. For example, I didn't write about my childhood love of chemistry because they don't tend to like that sort of thing and because it would've been super cringe ahaha. Your example is probs a bit better than mine would've been, but even so I'd still write about experiences, wider reading, etc. instead.
THANKYOU!! this is so helpful :yep:

Spoiler:
Show

Another question: Is it OK to mention that I have I did not speak english until the age of 13 and was still able to learn the language along with doing extremely well academically? and had to self teach myself most of the content, and how that made me an individual who can adapt to any situation/environment?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Spoiler:
Show

Another question: Is it OK to mention that I have I did not speak english until the age of 13 and was still able to learn the language along with doing extremely well academically? and had to self teach myself most of the content, and how that made me an individual who can adapt to any situation/environment?

That information should be included in your reference not in your ps
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Spoiler:
Show

I would say you can talk about this but don't spend too long on it! It'll be good to show dedication but try to focus most of your statement on biomed related things. Ask a teacher if you can if you're really unsure.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Please don't send your PS to anyone you don't know over the internet, as you will have no control of it afterwards. There is the free review service on TSR that you can use
HeartBlink
Rep:
?
(Original post by *Interrobang*)
Please don't send your PS to anyone you don't know over the internet, as you will have no control of it afterwards. There is the free review service on TSR that you can use
I am aware of that thankyou
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am aware of that thankyou
That's good to hear Always good to write it for other users who may be viewing this thread too tho!
Jawahirjahan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, I’m applying for nursing and I don’t know what to write or how to start of my personal statement any advice? Or example?
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Jawahirjahan)
Hi, I’m applying for nursing and I don’t know what to write or how to start of my personal statement any advice? Or example?
Check out this guidance https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5550452
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads