The Student Room Group

a level choices

i plan to take 4 a levels all the way through. i’m aiming for a russell group uni, and i know selection of a levels matters. i want to do engineering, and i have to take maths, physics and further maths. would it matter if i took a non-facilitating subject as a 4th option? was thinking about politics, classics or philosophy - something essay based. if not, i’ll probably just go for history as a 4th option. opinions?
Reply 1
Sounds alright, something like chemistry would be a more helpful 4th subject especially for engineering but the ones you mentioned are pretty good and you will go to a Russel group uni as long as you do well in them
Reply 2
Original post by peeked
Sounds alright, something like chemistry would be a more helpful 4th subject especially for engineering but the ones you mentioned are pretty good and you will go to a Russel group uni as long as you do well in them

will be brutally honest i can’t stand biology or chemistry which is why i know i’m not doing another science as a 4th choice - also i want some variation. thanks for the feedback!!
Reply 3
Original post by blackthrn
will be brutally honest i can’t stand biology or chemistry which is why i know i’m not doing another science as a 4th choice - also i want some variation. thanks for the feedback!!

Np :wink:
No Unis require 4 A levels. Seeing as you know you want to do engineering, I'd recommend looking on Uni websites and seeing what subjects they want. I've got a few friends who are applying this year to do engineering and are doing Further Maths, Physics, and Maths, so those should be the ideal options. Also Unis don't care about variety of subjects or a broader selection, it's all about showing your dedication to your subject so you'll be fine with those 3.

Although if you're one of those people who are amazing at maths and can handle the extra 4th subject because Maths + Further Maths combined is no sweat (I envy you :frown: ), then go for whatever you want! Chem would probs be better but if you want to pick smth else I don't think it really matters
Reply 5
Original post by Escherichiaaa
No Unis require 4 A levels. Seeing as you know you want to do engineering, I'd recommend looking on Uni websites and seeing what subjects they want. I've got a few friends who are applying this year to do engineering and are doing Further Maths, Physics, and Maths, so those should be the ideal options. Also Unis don't care about variety of subjects or a broader selection, it's all about showing your dedication to your subject so you'll be fine with those 3.

Although if you're one of those people who are amazing at maths and can handle the extra 4th subject because Maths + Further Maths combined is no sweat (I envy you :frown: ), then go for whatever you want! Chem would probs be better but if you want to pick smth else I don't think it really matters

maths is like my thing - it comes naturally to me which is why i want the 4th variation choice. also in case i change my mind tbh. like i said before, chemistry and me do not mix well hahaha
thanks for the feedback!!
maths is like my thing - it comes naturally to me which is why i want the 4th variation choice. also in case i change my mind tbh. like i said before, chemistry and me do not mix well hahaha
thanks for the feedback!!

No probs! I envy you deeply... in that case I'd just go for whatever as long as your Sixth Form let you pick a 3rd subject. You could consider Biology if you liked it more because that would allow you to go into Biomedical engineering etc.
Reply 7
Original post by Escherichiaaa
No probs! I envy you deeply... in that case I'd just go for whatever as long as your Sixth Form let you pick a 3rd subject. You could consider Biology if you liked it more because that would allow you to go into Biomedical engineering etc.

i’m planning on going into biomedical engineering but havent seen anywhere require biology for it so i’d rather not choose it just for that tbh
i’m planning on going into biomedical engineering but havent seen anywhere require biology for it so i’d rather not choose it just for that tbh

I don't see the harm in having a slightly different fourth option if you play it to your advantage and talk in your personal statement about how it gives you breath of study. I would argue philosophy is the best of those, due to the critical thinking element which is really important to engineers.

Even if it's not required it might make your application more competitive or at the very least make it easier when you get to studying it. A lot of Unis don't require Biology for Biochem but it makes your application more competitive + it easier for you when you get there. If it's not required it shouldn't harm your chances of getting in tho in theory so I guess your choice is still open :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by phosphene
I don't see the harm in having a slightly different fourth option if you play it to your advantage and talk in your personal statement about how it gives you breath of study. I would argue philosophy is the best of those, due to the critical thinking element which is really important to engineers.

thanks - that’s a really good way to look at it and i’ll certainly think about what you said about philosophy, its a really good point
i plan to take 4 a levels all the way through. i’m aiming for a russell group uni, and i know selection of a levels matters. i want to do engineering, and i have to take maths, physics and further maths. would it matter if i took a non-facilitating subject as a 4th option? was thinking about politics, classics or philosophy - something essay based. if not, i’ll probably just go for history as a 4th option. opinions?

Well, I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. I think Economics is the best subject because like Elon Musk said, Engineering and Business go very well together. You'd be just fine with Maths, Further Maths and Physics alone, so the 4th subject won't matter as much.
Reply 12
Original post by Imperator_Intel
Well, I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. I think Economics is the best subject because like Elon Musk said, Engineering and Business go very well together. You'd be just fine with Maths, Further Maths and Physics alone, so the 4th subject won't matter as much.

was thinking about economics for a while but i don’t think i’d enjoy the course so i changed my mind - congratulations on finding the topics interesting :wink: (jk, but seriously wish i could do that)
was thinking about economics for a while but i don’t think i’d enjoy the course so i changed my mind - congratulations on finding the topics interesting :wink: (jk, but seriously wish i could do that)

Ha ha, I just kinda thought that even A Level economics can teach you a lot about the market. Anyways, I'm planning on dropping it for A2. If I were you, aspiring engineer to aspiring engineer, I'd stick to those three A Levels and study the **** out of them. Get a string of A*'s if your really good or 2 of them. Those will give you a good foundation to be applying to Cambridge or even Imperial if your ambitious. Trust me, I go to a pretty good sixth form, almost half of our students make it into Russell Group Universities, and the disappointment on results day for students who missed offers with Oxbridge/Imperial because of taking 4 A levels is unbearable to watch, even the most gifted can fall short of expectations. At the end of the day, its up to you and where you think your abilities can take you mate.
Reply 14
Ha ha, I just kinda thought that even A Level economics can teach you a lot about the market. Anyways, I'm planning on dropping it for A2. If I were you, aspiring engineer to aspiring engineer, I'd stick to those three A Levels and study the **** out of them. Get a string of A*'s if your really good or 2 of them. Those will give you a good foundation to be applying to Cambridge or even Imperial if your ambitious. Trust me, I go to a pretty good sixth form, almost half of our students make it into Russell Group Universities, and the disappointment on results day for students who missed offers with Oxbridge/Imperial because of taking 4 A levels is unbearable to watch, even the most gifted can fall short of expectations. At the end of the day, its up to you and where you think your abilities can take you mate.

thank you!! i wish you the best of luck for your a levels. my sixth form does linear a levels not AS and A2 which was why i was hoping to take 4 all the way through, but i’m gonna be smart about it and drop if i think i’ll do worse on the 3 i need.
thank you!! i wish you the best of luck for your a levels. my sixth form does linear a levels not AS and A2 which was why i was hoping to take 4 all the way through, but i’m gonna be smart about it and drop if i think i’ll do worse on the 3 i need.

Ahh, I'm doing the linear A Levels as well. You can still take AS Levels, so you wouldn't have ended up wasting 1 year. The AS level will still be worth something, your school might ask you to pay for the exam, but its generally a small price to pay.
Reply 16
Ahh, I'm doing the linear A Levels as well. You can still take AS Levels, so you wouldn't have ended up wasting 1 year. The AS level will still be worth something, your school might ask you to pay for the exam, but its generally a small price to pay.

i’ll think about that- i might put any money i get from birthdays away to pay for it if my sixth form wants me too. hadn’t even realised that was an option tbh so thanks for informing me

Quick Reply

Latest