The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Questions for Media and Communication students

Hi, I'm considering studying at Swansea University in Media and Communications in the 2018/19 academic year, I went to an open day but did not get the chance to ask some questions that I needed to come to a concrete decision whether or not to study there.

1) Is the course more theoretical or practical?
I'm currently studying BTEC Creative Media and like that we get to work in a mix of Theoretical essay work and practical hands-on filmmaking and shooting assignments. The Course at Swansea seems to be more about theoretical work and writing about films and television but not actually getting the chance to make your own short productions. If there are any current and past students that can answer this question then it would be most appreciated.

2) What are the career prospects it offers/What employment have passed students managed to get?
My dream is to work in the Creative media sector as either a director or writer, have any past students gone onto work in this field, such as working with films and television productions.

That's all the questions I have, any answers are appreciated. Thank You.
Reply 1
I don't go to Swansea but I am currently studying a Media and Communication degree at Newcastle Uni. If you're wanting to go into the creative sector then I'm sure it'll be the course for you! Also I think what you'll realise when you get to uni is you pick your modules in the stuff that you want to gain your expertise in, so when you start your degree its not like A Levels etc where you're assigned to a strict syllabus. The only con I would say for Media and Communication degree is that rather than learning the practical side of things, I would say its more theoretical based. So rather than learning HOW to do it, you're learning more about what impact the doing has if that makes sense? But every degree differs and as I said you can pick up modules where you can enhance the practical side of things and learn your craft and skills.
Hope this helped!
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank You, You're comment was actually much help, I looked up the course online and they do offer Video Production modules but they don't seem very focused on practical media as some of the other courses I am interested in such as the one at University of South Wales. I still got a lot of decision time. Thanks again.
Reply 3
Original post by sofiap17
I don't go to Swansea but I am currently studying a Media and Communication degree at Newcastle Uni. If you're wanting to go into the creative sector then I'm sure it'll be the course for you! Also I think what you'll realise when you get to uni is you pick your modules in the stuff that you want to gain your expertise in, so when you start your degree its not like A Levels etc where you're assigned to a strict syllabus. The only con I would say for Media and Communication degree is that rather than learning the practical side of things, I would say its more theoretical based. So rather than learning HOW to do it, you're learning more about what impact the doing has if that makes sense? But every degree differs and as I said you can pick up modules where you can enhance the practical side of things and learn your craft and skills.
Hope this helped!

What other kind of jobs can this degree get you into apart from the creative industry.
Original post by sofiap17
Hope this helped!

Hey well I’ve got an offer from Newcastle for BA Combined honours and I’m planning on choosing Media and communication and Documentary practice.

Is my decision right? By choosing this combo i guess i’ll get more practical exposure. Hows the media n comm course? Do any of your friends hv combined honours? Are they able to handle it?

And what internship or placement opportunities are there for media students? How are you liking the course so far?

Well i’m pretty curious 🙈
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest